Raiders sign WR DeAndre Carter (1 yr/$2.3M)

NYRaider

7 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

If you look at the last 6 teams ( Since Tampa Bay won) to play in the super bowl, they all were very deep at WR. 

And add in the fact that we pretty much had a special teams journeyman (Hollins) as our outside wr2 opposite of adams, and seeing how Renfrow didn't translate to McDaniels system too well, we desperately needed WR depth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaribouLou said:

And add in the fact that we pretty much had a special teams journeyman (Hollins) as our outside wr2 opposite of adams, and seeing how Renfrow didn't translate to McDaniels system too well, we desperately needed WR depth.

100%- There was a time last season where our WR depth was bad. 

It also allows Renfrow to not be at PR to take hits from his concussion issues. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 7:05 PM, bucksavage1 said:

100%- There was a time last season where our WR depth was bad. 

It also allows Renfrow to not be at PR to take hits from his concussion issues. 

I’ll be very happy to not see Renfrow returning punts.   While he’s actually pretty darn good as a PR …. in ‘20 and ‘21 he was top 2 and 4 average PR… I’d prefer to not see him on PR duty outsideS  of the situation where it’s at the end of a close game and we are fair catching a punt.  The risk to reward isn’t worth it, especially when you have DeAndre Carter and Tre Tucker too.  While they might have lower stats they have the speed and athleticism to break a big gain occasionally.

While we have too many WRs… idk if we’re actually deep at WR.  We’re definitely absolutely loaded at SLOT WR though. And actually are lacking with outside WRs.

Adams, Cam Sims, and Dorsett are the only WRs who played significant snaps On the outside; yet all of them play a large minority of snaps at slot too.  It’s also worth noting Cam Sims might not even make the team. Adams actually spends a lot of snaps in the slot… 43% of his snaps.  Even TE Austin Hooper saw significant albeit a of minority snaps  in the slot.

There’s a chart breaking down the alignment stats of our WRs here:

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/kristian-wilkerson-15163

Sure Meyers is capable of playing outside more then he has in the past but he’s more effective in the slot.  

While on paper it looks like we are loaded at WR I have concerns about how it will play out on the field.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ll be very happy to not see Renfrow returning punts.   While he’s actually pretty darn good as a PR …. in ‘20 and ‘21 he was top 2 and 4 average PR… I’d prefer to not see him on PR duty outsideS  of the situation where it’s at the end of a close game and we are fair catching a punt.  The risk to reward isn’t worth it, especially when you have DeAndre Carter and Tre Tucker too.  While they might have lower stats they have the speed and athleticism to break a big gain occasionally.

While we have too many WRs… idk if we’re actually deep at WR.  We’re definitely absolutely loaded at SLOT WR though. And actually are lacking with outside WRs.

Adams, Cam Sims, and Dorsett are the only WRs who played significant snaps On the outside; yet all of them play a large minority of snaps at slot too.  It’s also worth noting Cam Sims might not even make the team. Adams actually spends a lot of snaps in the slot… 43% of his snaps.  Even TE Austin Hooper saw significant albeit a of minority snaps  in the slot.

There’s a chart breaking down the alignment stats of our WRs here:

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player/kristian-wilkerson-15163

Sure Meyers is capable of playing outside more then he has in the past but he’s more effective in the slot.  

While on paper it looks like we are loaded at WR I have concerns about how it will play out on the field.  

Good points on the PR.  Hunter had a serious concussion last season that pretty much derailed his season. Don’t want to open him up to additional hits. 

This scheme going back to the NE Brady days were dependent on WRs that are great route runners. We have three WRs at the top of the depth chart that know how to get open and are great route runners.

Between Dorsett, Tucker and Carter will be the players who are the speed threats to keep

We also have to look at our TEs group as well. Hooper and Mayer know how to get open across the field. This is gonna drive teams crazy attempting to guard Adams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Good points on the PR.  Hunter had a serious concussion last season that pretty much derailed his season. Don’t want to open him up to additional hits. 

This scheme going back to the NE Brady days were dependent on WRs that are great route runners. We have three WRs at the top of the depth chart that know how to get open and are great route runners.

Between Dorsett, Tucker and Carter will be the players who are the speed threats to keep

We also have to look at our TEs group as well. Hooper and Mayer know how to get open across the field. This is gonna drive teams crazy attempting to guard Adams.

I’m not trying to be confrontational or discredit what your saying… as your making all truthful and accurate statements.

but… we have an entire roster of slot WRs plus Adams essentially.  And Adams likes to drop down into the slot too.   Just because guys are great route runners doesn’t necessarily mean they can move from the slot to flanker or split end on the outside.

For years I said we need to add a speedy slot WR so I’m very glad we did.  It can add a great dynamic to an offense.  But this current group of WRs only has speed at the slot and not outside.  I guess Dorsett could play outside and give us the vertical threat there.  But he’s a rotational player at best.

Having speed on the outside opens up the slot guys and TEs over the middle.  It’ll be very interesting to see how we use all these slot WRs.  Honestly I think we’re don’t get the max out of them.

Edited by jimkelly02