B-Rex vs The Hunter: The Great Eagles Edge Debate

Jroc04

35 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I would not consider Barnett an average starter or average defensive end; I happen to think Derek Barnett is pretty bad at football. 

...and yes, I believe the Brandon Graham first and foremost is overrated by this fanbase because of his longevity and that we have a slew of disappointing picks, especially during that time. I also believe that Brandon Graham is just an average NFL Defensive End - we have this same debate every year about Graham and I am fine being the outlier (or my opinion being wrong or I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm not being honest which how you guys always shape this) but my mind isn't going to change. We've had the same debate for the past 4 off-season's I feel like and nobodies stance has or will change. 

I don't want to continue to detract from the prospect thread so if someone wants to move this to the off-season thread we can continue there or we can just agree to disagree and you can tell me that my opinion is wrong and we will get to revisit it next off-season when it's inevitably brought up again lol. 

Stand by your convictions man, but I fail to see a single argument that says BG has been average his entire career lol. Eye test, numbers, achievements.... none of it adds up to "average".

That said, happy bday to BG today.

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

The way I see it,
BG is above average/good, with a like 7 year peak of firmly "good". Trent Cole was above average/good, with a 5 year peak of "great". Despite PFF run D grades saying otherwise, I think Trent Cole was just as good vs the run as BG too. Trent was an animal when he was at the top of his game. My 2nd favorite defensive Eagle of the 2000's after Dawk. Would have been great to see '07 to '11 Trent Cole play with a prime Fletcher Cox.

I’m not going to disagree with much here but fail to see where Cole had that kind of stretch as “great”. I guess “great” is very arbitrary. But then I need the term for the 10-15 guys that were better than him those years outside of maybe one year where he was AP2. I would say Cole was good most of his career and had a peak of great once or so. But again, we all have our own definitions. 

As Trent Cole‘a biggest fan on this forum (I have his jersey, get at me losers), I think it would be fair to say that BG>Cole. 

Trent Cole was an excellent undersized pass rusher that would probably excel as a 34 edge in today’s game. His pass rushing ability overall is better than BG. As a run defender he did his job most of the time. Whenever people described Trent Cole the first thing they mention is his unrelenting motor. 

BG is by far a better more rounded DE than Trent Cole was. While BG might not have the same stats as Trent Cole, he is arguably as/more impactful as TC was. The first thing people describe about BG is his leadership. I don’t remember for sure, but TC wasn’t considered a “leader” in the locker room. People really take into account BG’s  leadership when evaluating him as a player which can imo lead to over/underrating him depending on how you factor in his off field performance

TL;DR - I’m TC’s biggest fan on the forum, I think BG is better than TC because he’s a better/more rounded DE than TC was. 

god damn PE has to be seething after last season’s 11 sacks for BG. I miss his short arms tirade

Edited by oland11
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, oland11 said:

As Trent Cole‘a biggest fan on this forum (I have his jersey, get at me losers), I think it would be fair to say that BG>Cole. 

Trent Cole was an excellent undersized pass rusher that would probably excel as a 34 edge in today’s game. His pass rushing ability overall is better than BG. As a run defender he did his job most of the time. Whenever people described Trent Cole the first thing they mention is his unrelenting motor. 

BG is by far a better more rounded DE than Trent Cole was. While BG might not have the same stats as Trent Cole, he is arguably as/more impactful as TC was. The first thing people describe about BG is his leadership. I don’t remember for sure, but TC wasn’t considered a “leader” in the locker room. People really take into account BG’s  leadership when evaluating him as a player which can imo lead to over/underrating him depending on how you factor in his off field performance

TL;DR - I’m TC’s biggest fan on the forum, I think BG is better than TC because he’s a better/more rounded DE than TC was. 

god damn PE has to be seething after last season’s 11 sacks for BG. I miss his short arms tirade

Trent was my old user name. We might have to fight for who the bigger fan is lol I also have his jersey in black and green. I don't buy the white jerseys. 

Funny story I bought a Tracy Mcgrady jersey back in the day white ofc and I'm walking to Phillips to get a steak and boom a bird s*** right on my white TMac jersey. First day wearing it. Told myself I'll never buy a white jersey again. First and only time being **** on by a bird but that was scaring lol