could get drafted by Steelers but you don't want them to

3rivers

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

JPN,

what about Banks? Versatile, plays press, off, zones.  His Teammate Bennett later on  RD5 and what about Hodges Tomlinson later as well? Still hope they bring in at least 2 CB's this draft  if they trade down a few times. Trading up  leaves only a few picks, so that makes the picks much more crucial to be a hit and not a miss

and what if Devon is there at 17?

Banks doesn't move me. He's alright. Seems to be another guy that got bumped up by the combine. Truthfully Im more intrigued by J Bennett's play more often than Banks. From what I've watched Banks play against better competition was like a lady's scarf, he was there but not really doing anything. They still made the play. I was ramping up on my reviews and kind of fell off, should probably do more work on him since he got his post combine bump. For me when it comes to early rounder types I like to put the tape on and be intrigued by something. I would kind of put Banks in the Jack Campbell category of I could see the player but not necessarily moving or gonna do anything exciting. (I like Campbell more than that but making a point. ) Kind of like drafting a 5 tech that plays patty cake or offers little in the area of pass rush. Just my perception. Like I said I should do more on him if I get the chance. 

I only did Tomlinson earlier in the year and it seems I kind of liked him..more of a nickel though right? We need a nickel..Clark Harris would be nice, there a couple good nickel options it seems.

The kid from Michigan intrigues me more than Banks. He competes and that make up speed is legit. I almost honestly think he glitched on the screen in the last 10 yards when he ran down Sean Clifford on that break away run when they played Penn State.

Edited by JustPlainNasty
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I won't read into that as much as I would ordinarily.  Poor LB play, poor scheme, a lot of people out of position, and thinking more than attacking.  I am not making excuses for him, but just from some of the comments and feedback from the players about the DL and being out of position/scheme. Because he was a #5 and not a #1 or #2, I think he still has time (this year specifically) to improve.  I think he can make a jump in overall play due to comfort and maturing in the system.  It is now or never. 

I agree 100%.  I do like Witherspoon at CB. He reminds me of former Bills CB Antoine Winfield. Getting him would be nice, but getting a quality CB, Safety, ILB, Edge, OT, and C would be better. There are a lot of solid day two and three options that could greatly improve the depth and quality of player on the Steelers.

I am a little concerned after the Allen Robinson trade.  They have addressed a lot of areas through free agency and are really lacking a quality CB1 and OT prospect.  They could use a high ceiling starting safety opposite Minkah and a roving ILB (I like the kids from AK & IA). 

I think they must have a good bit of interest in the safety from Cal and tbh there seems to be a good bit to like there. Haven't done a lot on him just checked him out recently but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him picked. On top of that his measurables are likened or I think even better than Minkah's. Hes kind of under the radar on the media scene it seems. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I think they must have a good bit of interest in the safety from Cal and tbh there seems to be a good bit to like there. Haven't done a lot on him just checked him out recently but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him picked. On top of that his measurables are likened or I think even better than Minkah's. Hes kind of under the radar on the media scene it seems. 

I have heard very few people talking about him (Daniel Scott). Shhh 🤫 🤫🤫 I also really like the kid from Illinois (Sydney Brown). He reminds me of a young but not quite as developed Buddah Baker.  🤫🤫🤫

What are your thoughts on Brian Branch?  I don't like him as a #1, but I like him as a #2. The problem is he won't last too long if he even gets there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am a little concerned after the Allen Robinson trade.  They have addressed a lot of areas through free agency and are really lacking a quality CB1 and OT prospect.  They could use a high ceiling starting safety opposite Minkah and a roving ILB (I like the kids from AK & IA). 

mocks with Jets trade and Becton could help but not sure if the site  just puts Becton in the mock or if in fact the Jets are considering moving him.  

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Banks doesn't move me. He's alright. Seems to be another guy that got bumped up by the combine. Truthfully Im more intrigued by J Bennett's play more often than Banks. From what I've watched Banks play against better competition was like a lady's scarf, he was there but not really doing anything. They still made the play. I was ramping up on my reviews and kind of fell off, should probably do more work on him since he got his post combine bump. For me when it comes to early rounder types I like to put the tape on and be intrigued by something. I would kind of put Banks in the Jack Campbell category of I could see the player but not necessarily moving or gonna do anything exciting. (I like Campbell more than that but making a point. ) Kind of like drafting a 5 tech that plays patty cake or offers little in the area of pass rush. Just my perception. Like I said I should do more on him if I get the chance. 

I only did Tomlinson earlier in the year and it seems I kind of liked him..more of a nickel though right? We need a nickel..Clark Harris would be nice, there a couple good nickel options it seems.

The kid from Michigan intrigues me more than Banks. He competes and that make up speed is legit. I almost honestly think he glitched on the screen in the last 10 yards when he ran down Sean Clifford on that break away run when they played Penn State.

no doubt Turner had speed in uniform, not just at the combine.  He tends to be there mid RD2 in mocks btw. Bennett will be a steal around 150 like in a mock I have going right now and perhaps Banks stole some attention from Bennett who himself had a stellar combine .  Forbes might not do well in press vs bigger WR's so he might not be a scheme fit if in fact we stay with the amount of press we have. As it is, I don't know what the plan is for scheme in 2023. 

THT is said to be bale to play outside as well as  Nickel.  Bennet probably could Nickel with his quickness and could Clark Phillips . 

If they trade dionte, maybe that cap space could be for a trade with unhappy D.Buckner from the colts, there's the 5 tech for  the next few years. ;) but also costly for a rotational role  unless Heyward retired. 

Maybe trade with jets for Becton (if they want to move him)  and still draft Bergeron for quality 6th OL and for Chuks replacement if in fact they really want the run game to be important and for  cap reasons moving forward.  Considering Chuks excellent pass pro, he might yield a nice draft pick next year as well

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Safety should be high on the proiority list. The Cal safety is ranked a ways down, so should be there mid rounds no problem.  The Illinois safeties are getting praise, yet still are there  in Mocks at decent spots, not too high in mocks.  A ball Hawk SS with range would be great . Neal could be a nice signing but if he gets hurt then what?  Lack of depth  could be a problem especially considering Neal's history and Kazee in run support could be less than 'the standard'

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

What are your thoughts on Brian Branch?  I don't like him as a #1, but I like him as a #2. The problem is he won't last too long if he even gets there.

Branch seems to have fallen down a bit because of the combine.  Considering the other good safeties could be had in later RD2 and in RD3 or even later, I would pass on Branch. I am sure he will be good, but we have other needs and no way we should spend RD1 pick on Branch all other needs considered IMO. 

Sid Brown for example often is around 80 in mocks, seems as though good safeties are available around 80.  Safety is a need IMO and this draft seems deep at Safety , and Brown should be a good pick around 80.  Battle seems good too a bit earlier but with Neal signing ,  I doubt the any of the rook's start. 

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I also really like the kid from Illinois (Sydney Brown).

YES, YES, YES!!  Visions of Polamalu-esque player, 'pinging' all over the area behind the LBers.  And no, I'm not saying he'd be anywhere near as good as Troy, but similar body-type, faster than advertised, and hits harder than any many in that 5'9"-to-5'10" 200lb range should, haha...

But, in the spirit of the thread, I'm just not big on Banks.  If we took him where he was expected to go, in 98% of the mocks before the New Year, in the mid-to-late 2nd?  Than sure but no way he's making it past 20...I'm hoping he doesn't make it past 16.  Just look at Mock Draft Database, and go back to Decemeber mocks...no Deonte Banks, which tells me, since he ran a 4.35 40, now hall of a sudden, he's become a mid-1st talent...

Some others I'm not interested in...

Lukas Van Ness

Will McDonald IV

BJ Ojulari

Peter Skoronski

Cody Mauch

Jalen Carter (unless he he comes in with his head straight, a humble attitude, and in playing condition/shape)

...and then, the obvious...no 1st Rd-selected RB, QB, or TE

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have heard very few people talking about him (Daniel Scott). Shhh 🤫 🤫🤫 I also really like the kid from Illinois (Sydney Brown). He reminds me of a young but not quite as developed Buddah Baker.  🤫🤫🤫

I would not use our 1st on him. I'd be ok 32, but likely prefer something different.  Ideally I believe the CB and OT should addressed with 2 of the first 3 picks just because of the talent available and then the drop off, the third player should be some kind of playmaker either on offense or defense, that could be somebody that catches the ball or gets the ball via turnovers or causes significant pressure on the qb.  I do think we can get a nice nickel corner in the 3rd and even 4th , and safety I think there are various options. I will make one caveat to my statement about player selection, if they really believe John Michael Shmitz is their guy to be Pickett's center for the next 10 years plus then Im good with that too. 

Branch does seem like a Patriots type pick. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

no doubt Turner had speed in uniform, not just at the combine.  He tends to be there mid RD2 in mocks btw. Bennett will be a steal around 150 like in a mock I have going right now and perhaps Banks stole some attention from Bennett who himself had a stellar combine .  Forbes might not do well in press vs bigger WR's so he might not be a scheme fit if in fact we stay with the amount of press we have. As it is, I don't know what the plan is for scheme in 2023. 

THT is said to be bale to play outside as well as  Nickel.  Bennet probably could Nickel with his quickness and could Clark Phillips . 

If they trade dionte, maybe that cap space could be for a trade with unhappy D.Buckner from the colts, there's the 5 tech for  the next few years. ;) but also costly for a rotational role  unless Heyward retired. 

Maybe trade with jets for Becton (if they want to move him)  and still draft Bergeron for quality 6th OL and for Chuks replacement if in fact they really want the run game to be important and for  cap reasons moving forward.  Considering Chuks excellent pass pro, he might yield a nice draft pick next year as well

Safety should be high on the proiority list. The Cal safety is ranked a ways down, so should be there mid rounds no problem.  The Illinois safeties are getting praise, yet still are there  in Mocks at decent spots, not too high in mocks.  A ball Hawk SS with range would be great . Neal could be a nice signing but if he gets hurt then what?  Lack of depth  could be a problem especially considering Neal's history and Kazee in run support could be less than 'the standard'

Branch seems to have fallen down a bit because of the combine.  Considering the other good safeties could be had in later RD2 and in RD3 or even later, I would pass on Branch. I am sure he will be good, but we have other needs and no way we should spend RD1 pick on Branch all other needs considered IMO. 

Sid Brown for example often is around 80 in mocks, seems as though good safeties are available around 80.  Safety is a need IMO and this draft seems deep at Safety , and Brown should be a good pick around 80.  Battle seems good too a bit earlier but with Neal signing ,  I doubt the any of the rook's start. 

I would steer away from Jayir Brown from PSU, hes a decent ball player but many of the big plays given up by PSU can be attributed to his poor angles etc on top of not being super athletic. Just throwing that out there. Not just cause of that, I dont really like his fit for PIT.

I thought I liked the kid from FSU but im not so sure when i took a closer look. He did have a good practice week at senior bowl.

I don't think I really graded any of the Illini safeties, I may have started but I would say this, that secondary worked great as a pack, I'll give them that. Got give Bilema and that defensive coach some props for assembling that crew and getting them to play as well as they did as a unit. They were pretty legit concern for Big Ten teams. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

17 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

If we took him where he was expected to go, in 98% of the mocks before the New Year, in the mid-to-late 2nd?  Than sure but no way he's making it past 20...I'm hoping he doesn't make it past 16.  Just look at Mock Draft Database, and go back to Decemeber mocks...no Deonte Banks, which tells me, since he ran a 4.35 40, now hall of a sudden, he's become a mid-1st talent...

That proves to me that most online "draftniks" don't know what they're doing. I'm sure he was on the radar of NFL scouts. 

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That proves to me that most online "draftniks" don't know what they're doing. I'm sure he was on the radar of NFL scouts. 

Well, these same 'online' draftniks had Artie Burns as a late-2nd-to-3rd Rd talent, and we picked him in the 1st Rd, and we see how well that turned out...every year, there are prospects that are taken in the 1st Rd, and I'd say roughly 20% of them never pan out due to lack of perceived talent/ability, and another 10-20% don't due to injury issues...My point is that there are pleanty of team GMs/FO/Team Scouts that don't know as much as they think they do, so... 

And I never said he wasn't on any teams radar...I said, he was viewed as a 2nd Rd talent, and not until he ran a 4.35, did he start receiving 1st Rd grades.  Is that your thought process on all prospects that move up due to unexpected elite physical traits shown during Combine/Pro Days??

It's all a crap shoot, is my point, and plenty of teams scouts don't know as much as they think they do, either...

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Well, these same 'online' draftniks had Artie Burns as a late-2nd-to-3rd Rd talent, and we picked him in the 1st Rd, and we see how well that turned out...every year, there are prospects that are taken in the 1st Rd, and I'd say roughly 20% of them never pan out due to lack of perceived talent/ability, and another 10-20% don't due to injury issues...My point is that there are pleanty of team GMs/FO/Team Scouts that don't know as much as they think they do, so... 

And I never said he wasn't on any teams radar...I said, he was viewed as a 2nd Rd talent, and not until he ran a 4.35, did he start receiving 1st Rd grades.  Is that your thought process on all prospects that move up due to unexpected elite physical traits shown during Combine/Pro Days??

It's all a crap shoot, is my point, and plenty of teams scouts don't know as much as they think they do, either...

to your point , draftniks can be right but at the same time  teams GM and scouts can be wrong as we have seen over the years.  Burns was a failed pick, it would be nice to know who was responsible for that.  The % or RD1 players that never pan out would be a stat to know. It could be higher so there is a 1 in5 or maybe 1 in 4 chance of this not going well in RD1.  

Banks should be a good CB , I would be glad if we drafted him, but prefer to trade down a bit and get some more picks because from 49-120  we only have pick 80 in between and lots of needs .  But if Devon is there around 14.... get on the phone

Teams are going to know a lot more about players than draftniks.  Sometimes, Tomlin likes to gamble on the high SPARQ athletes. Sometime ( Shazier) it works out.  Other times (Burns) it does not.

DBs are tough as none of them know their position well.  All of them need to learn what they are doing.  Some of them can't learn

Edited by jebrick

52 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Teams are going to know a lot more about players than draftniks.

I'm not really arguing that draftniks know more; I'm arguing that reporters/journalists, start hitting up 'sources', then finding out tidbits like "X team has been eyeing Y Player", or "After the Senior Bowl/Combine, X Prospect opened up teams' eyes, and are studying more film on said X Prospect."  Then 'buzz' starts moving around draftniks'/journalists' circles, then mocks get updated, and some of these prospects are now mocked a round or two earlier/later, based on what tidmits sother sources pickup.

Many/Most Draftniks are just acting upon/responding by moving these prospects up and down their Mocks.  And as we get closer and closer to the draft, these mocks tend to get better, and closer to what actually takes place...

Anyway, my point is not that they know the prospects better than teams do, only that they are moving guys up and down their mocks, based upon news they are hearing coming from teams, and back in December, Banks was rarely, if at all, found in the 1st Rd of all these Mocks...because before then, whatever tidbits of news that was coming out, and other analyses out there, had Banks as a 2nd Rd prospect.  He then runs a 4.35, scouts/teams get excited, they look at more film...or look at it with a different viewpoint, and recognize...huh, maybe this kid could be a 1st Rd talent. 

My problem with that, is that the player was a 2nd Rd talent when being evaluated on his play alone, yet now, scouts and other personnel are talking themselves into Banks being a better prospect, based upon some workouts and interviews over a span of 60-90 days, as opposed to what film showed for 3-4 seasons, and to me, that's worrisome.

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

But why would a team tell a report anything other than to drive down the value of a player they want to fall to them?

Yep.  It works sometimes.  I still have not gotten over Dan Marino not being a Steeler.  It came out that Don Shula and Miami did little to fan those rumors of Dan "liking to party."  What college-age football stud didn't? We sipped and then gulped the Kool-Aid.  I honestly believe that we may be saying one for the pinky-toe instead of striving for #7 if that didn't happen.