2023 Commanders OTAs, Minicamp & Training Camp

turtle28

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

We signed the guy . Seems we're trying to corner ( no pun ) the DB market . 

A LB or good O L would be nice . Oh yeah, Troy Apke to I R, bad shoulder/ There goes the season !

We only play 2 LBs at a time unless it's short yardage and then Mayo will play as a run-stuffer. Sometimes we only play 1 LB if we have 5 DLs or 6 DBs on the field. The reports are that Hudson has looked good in coverage all offseason too as a back up & may actually be the #3 LB on the depth chart unless you're talking about a run stuffer then that'd be Mayo. 

The only way I see us signing a LB is if we don't have Jamin, which I can't imagine that happening during the season.

The only OL we could want to add would be a guard but I don't see that happening unless Charles can't play week 1 bc of his calf injury. Charles & Cosmi have looked pretty solid from what I've heard, Chris Paul has impressed this camp. 

I'm concerned about the guard position bc they're unproven but really not much can be done about that now. They're going to roll with these 3 young guards & either carry Mason Brooks as their 4th guard or more likely IMO carry 3 centers (Gates, Larsen & Stromberg) w/ Larsen having the ability to play guard if need be.

We have good depth at center & at OT.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Been over this for years. We play 2 LBs almost all game, at times we just play 1 LB when we have 5 DL or 6 DB's on the field at one time.

I know people have their doubts about Khaleke Hudson but from all the reports he's finally breaking out at LB - especially in coverage - and I read that some believe he's above David Mayo as the 3rd LB now, unless they need a MIKE/run stuffer then it would be Mayo over Hudson.

I don't see any moves being made at LB unless Jamin isn't able to play bc he's in jail, which I doubt happens for speeding tickets. My guess is he gets a delayed sentence until after the season and will have to spend time in jail. 

And I don’t care how many times we’ve gone over it. This stupid *** plan led to Bostic and Mayo getting major playing time last year which teams immediately attacked. You can make excuses for what they’re doing at the position all you want but it’s a major weakness that teams have exploited. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And I don’t care how many times we’ve gone over it. This stupid *** plan led to Bostic and Mayo getting major playing time last year which teams immediately attacked. You can make excuses for what they’re doing at the position all you want but it’s a major weakness that teams have exploited. 

I hear you but they don't agree obviously. They have chosen to sign/re-sign Mayo the last two off-season. You complaining about it over and over is just talking to a brick wall.

I’m also 100% sure that our D actually got BETTER in Nov & Dec when Mayo had to start after Holcomb was hurt. We often played with Curl as our 2nd LB next to Jamin with just Jamin in there as a true LB.

I don't like that they don't have a better 3rd LB instead of Mayo that they would've drafted in one the last two drafts but it's impossible to argue with the results when our D has been one of the best in the league the 2nd half of the year the last 2 years while playing 5 or 6 DB's almost every snap.

Then there is also this:

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Jacoby Brissett is another Fitzpatrick. It’s an absolute road to nowhere. If they trot Brissett out there week one then they’ve failed their plan already and Rivera should be fired. 

Jacoby is better than Fitz & much younger but I do agree that starting him is a bridge to nowhere and makes no sense. I'm 100% in agreement with you that Howell should get every snap this season.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Jacoby Brissett is another Fitzpatrick. It’s an absolute road to nowhere. If they trot Brissett out there week one then they’ve failed their plan already and Rivera should be fired. 

I agree, but Rivera has typically not given backup qbs reps to even have them prepared to play and so I am glad he is getting reps.  You have to be prepared for injury. 

This even impacted howell last year.  Wentz was hurt all season and yet Howell wasn't ready to play in case Taylor went down.

10 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I agree, but Rivera has typically not given backup qbs reps to even have them prepared to play and so I am glad he is getting reps.  You have to be prepared for injury. 

This even impacted howell last year.  Wentz was hurt all season and yet Howell wasn't ready to play in case Taylor went down.

Howell seemed ready to play week 18 vs the Cowboys 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Maybe this is one of the reasons he’s not a HC. 

Players in today's NFL are too soft. Old style coaching like what EB does is beneficial. People need to be told when they mess up. They need to grow and learn from it.

• Like 2