Netflix DVD rental ends September 29 2023?

Ozzy

8 hours ago, Ty21 said:

There’s a chance they try to sell them all at a discount, kinda like what Family Video did for years on their website before going under. 

I am kinda surprised you didn’t see Netflix doing away with dvd rentals happening 

Of course they do away with it but why?  And I ask again are they literally going to have all movies available as a "play now", because the times when I got that part of the Netflix Subscription with renting, it sucked because only certain movies were play now and you could not get anything you wanted like with renting for the most part even if it is a totally odd and random movie.   It was a totally edited and narrow list that was available.  

I guess maybe since all the studios are just making their own service the options are less for Netflix and maybe they are not allowing Netflix to show their stuff like Disney even though I am not sure Disney totally eliminated all of their movies from Netflix but maybe they did.  

Just stinks, because honestly if one wants to watch a movie you have to get one of what 10 streaming services and hope they have it available?  Was a lot easier with it all in one place.  And here is a question, Disney plus, if that is so great can you say watch all of the episodes of Duck Tales on it?  If not that is total bull****, they had such great cartoons back in the day and it should all be on that services because why the hell not....

6 hours ago, August4th said:

I've been renting movies from the library for free since October. Pittsburgh library network has a large selection. I've been able to see a lot of movies I could never find on streaming. Old and new

They honestly have that good of a selection?  That is kind of surprising to be honest, but I guess if the library is a huge one...  

14 hours ago, MacReady said:

Another step towards eliminating physical media altogether and controlling what you can watch, what you can play, when you can watch it and at what price.

The day studios stop releasing physical copies of their movies is the day I stop watching movies.

You can own a physical copy on a hard drive ya know

18 minutes ago, MacReady said:

That’s stupid and you should be ashamed for your stupidness.

It's smart and I'm proud of my smartness

I get wanting the artwork that comes with physical media, but you complained about access and a hard drive obviously and easily solves that complaint.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's smart and I'm proud of my smartness

I get wanting the artwork that comes with physical media, but you complained about access and a hard drive obviously and easily solves that complaint.

It's better than relying on digital copies online or streaming services I'll give you that, but there's nothing more satisfying than being able to scan your finger across a large selection of movies just like the good old days of the 90's when you got to go rent movies.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They honestly have that good of a selection?  That is kind of surprising to be honest, but I guess if the library is a huge one...  

Yep. I'd put their selection on films up with any streaming site. if you live in a county that has a mid-size to big city, your library should have a similar system. my local library pulls from all the libraries in the county. I go in the website to pick a film and it gets sent to my local library in 2-3 days.

Edited by August4th

6 hours ago, August4th said:

Yep. I'd put their selection on films up with any streaming site. if you live in a county that has a mid-size to big city, your library should have a similar system. my local library pulls from all the libraries in the county. I go in the website to pick a film and it gets sent to my local library in 2-3 days.

You really think you could rent Videodrome 1983 then in the system?  Pretty nuts if they have a catalog that big.  Or The Wailing 2016 for that matter an outstanding Korean film?

Totally pissed Lifeforce (1985) was never even on Netflix, that seems like a decent Sci Fi film but can never watch it, I think it is on youtube but the quality is crap...

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Totally pissed Lifeforce (1985) was never even on Netflix, that seems like a decent Sci Fi film but can never watch it, I think it is on youtube but the quality is crap...

Bro, you don't like The Thing (1982) and you're bummed you can't see Lifeforce?

Lifeforce is pure schlock. Mathilda May being naked a bunch in it is the only reason anybody ever liked it. It's terrible. You're not missing much.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You really think you could rent Videodrome 1983 then in the system?  Pretty nuts if they have a catalog that big.  Or The Wailing 2016 for that matter an outstanding Korean film?

I mean, libraries won't have every movie ever made. But they do typically have a solid selection of you're dead set on renting a physical copy of a movie.

13 hours ago, MacReady said:

Bro, you don't like The Thing (1982) and you're bummed you can't see Lifeforce?

Lifeforce is pure schlock. Mathilda May being naked a bunch in it is the only reason anybody ever liked it. It's terrible. You're not missing much.

Of course it is probably not amazing but I liked the 1984 Dune version and thought the villain was ten times better than the new remake, and I have never really heard of Lifeforce.  And yes Mathilda May is the main draw of that no question based on the trailer...that is obvious, but I will take your word for it that it sucks.

It does seem pretty damn cool but I guess watching this is as close as I am going to get.  

Mind you The Thing is quality and solid, it is just not one of the best films of all time in my opinion.  Quality Sci Fi is hard to find, because now what you got Guardians of the Galaxy and a talking racoon, how fun, and the "witty" banter is getting pretty old in those films, movies now all want to be a comedy, action and drama all in one.  Pretty sure Blade Runner would have sucked if Deckard was out there cracking jokes every five seconds to keep the stupid audience engaged.

And in that Tobe Hooper line, this one I have never seen either and Netflix does not have it so then no one does.  Seems like a decent old school horror movie.  Still it is nuts that original Texas Chain Saw Massacre movie, so simple yet extremely well shot in so many ways...

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, libraries won't have every movie ever made. But they do typically have a solid selection of you're dead set on renting a physical copy of a movie.

It is not so much the physical copy but jumping around from streaming platforms trying to find a film seems like an awful idea and I would not want to pay for all of those anyway to watch one or two movies in their library then go move to the next one.  I live in a small town so the Library thing is probably not an option honestly.  Hopefully something else comes up but then again no many quality films out there I have not already seen and based on the recent stuff coming out of Hollywood movies might be dead anyway because the resources are being put into either kids programing, comic book films or a long drawn out streaming series.

Edited by Ozzy

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Again, if you only subscribe to Amazon Prime, you can rent most movies.

It is hard to find an actual number but isn't Netflix like 100,000+ titles, that has decreased over the years I believe but Amazon and Hulu etc like 35,000 to 40,000?  Then again honestly out of those 100,000 movies let us say, maybe 1000 are actually good and well worth watching, and even that number is a bit high and probably is not even 1000.  

"$145.7 million in revenue last year, which translated into somewhere between 1.1 million and 1.3 million subscribers, based on the average prices paid by customers."

Sure that is not amazing compared to what it used to be but is not nothing either.  Sure the Post Office will love it, I bet they hated dropping of Netflix and a few years back when one started getting only one a week instead of two they always said it was the Post Offices fault which clearly it was not and they were slowly changing things...

Apparently this place in Seattle is the biggest movie rental store in the world with over 120,000 titles.  Not moving out to Seattle anytime soon though, 

https://www.scarecrow.com/index.html

On 4/20/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ty21 said:

There’s a chance they try to sell them all at a discount, kinda like what Family Video did for years on their website before going under. 

I am kinda surprised you didn’t see Netflix doing away with dvd rentals happening 

GameStop would eventually throw the used games they couldn’t sell in the dumpster.  I had a former employee go dumpster diving multiple times for them, and then he would turn around and try to sell them.  Crazy kid.  

• Like 1