Netflix DVD rental ends September 29 2023?

Ozzy

What the hell?

That is BS man, sure movies now a days suck but it was nice to have an avenue to watch movies old and new outside of going to the crap theater.  So can one watch all of these as a play now then?  Still that stinks they are ending it....

I have "rented" and watched 1179 movies as of right now starting in 2009.  Stinks I will not be able to do that anymore, the play now options have never impressed me because it is a limited list of availability but we will see what happens.  Hollywood is **** though and they have very little creativity outside of something someone else has already made and they just change it and do it again, and it is all about a long TV mini series type thing which are great but honestly most of those suck and are a massive waste of time.  Sure movies are a waste of time but it is only what 2 1/2 to 3 hours max waste of time, compared to freaking what 20-30 hours waste of time with a crap series....

10 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Didn’t know anyone still rented movies

So you honestly go to the theatre and pay $10-15 to watch a movie instead?  How you watch good older films then?  I have not been to the theatre in years, and based on what I pay for Netflix over 24 years, I pay like $1.70 a rental, even less when they used to send 2 movies a week for the basic plan, now it is only 1 a week if that.   

Maybe it is low subscription numbers as to the reason why, but honestly I would rather get a DVD rental every week from Netflix then have freaking what Paramount+, or Hulu, yippie....

Say you want to watch Some Kind of Wonderful or Videodrome, how the hell you supposed to do that without Netflix?  Doubt they just let anyone watch anything as a play now but maybe that will be the case.  

Its funny.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, I wouldve loved the idea of having pretty much any movie or game at my fingertips and just pushing a few buttons to have them.

But now, I wish I could go back and wander through Box Seat Video (local video store)  looking for a couple movies and games to rent for the weekend.  :/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

You could rent them on Amazon.

They have a big library of movies?  I assume it is kind of limited?  Even on Netflix there are films you cannot get but I supposed if you watch what 4 movies a year who cares.  

11 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Yeah you rent movies digitally

Sure for what $3-$5 a movie?  Netflix in its prime when it was 8 movies a month was not even $1 to rent a movie.  

I guess I am the only one that still uses Netflix DVD rental, maybe they can just send me all the DVDs when they are finished instead of throwing them in the dump.  

At least back in the day you literally got something for your $5 rental, at least could bring home the tape and the fancy cover on it sometimes.  Now you just get a digital version for 48 hours, how fun of ******* Amazon which I try to avoid.  I guess I need to get a new TV now as well.

Another step towards eliminating physical media altogether and controlling what you can watch, what you can play, when you can watch it and at what price.

The day studios stop releasing physical copies of their movies is the day I stop watching movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Its funny.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, I wouldve loved the idea of having pretty much any movie or game at my fingertips and just pushing a few buttons to have them.

But now, I wish I could go back and wander through Box Seat Video (local video store)  looking for a couple movies and games to rent for the weekend.  :/

Agreed.  I miss the "hunt" when you browsed them like school libraries in elementary school.

• Like 1

I was still renting physical copies from Netflix up until a few years ago. Being able to watch the physical blu ray with all the extras on the disc was nice. Then my blu ray player died and I didn't feel like buying a new one so I stopped. I'm pretty close to axing Netflix all together if they truly enforce this password sharing restriction nonsense. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I guess I am the only one that still uses Netflix DVD rental, maybe they can just send me all the DVDs when they are finished instead of throwing them in the dump

There’s a chance they try to sell them all at a discount, kinda like what Family Video did for years on their website before going under. 

I am kinda surprised you didn’t see Netflix doing away with dvd rentals happening