Netflix DVD rental ends September 29 2023?

Ozzy

On 4/20/2023 at 9:00 PM, Ozzy said:

Of course they do away with it but why?  And I ask again are they literally going to have all movies available as a "play now", because the times when I got that part of the Netflix Subscription with renting, it sucked because only certain movies were play now and you could not get anything you wanted like with renting for the most part even if it is a totally odd and random movie.   It was a totally edited and narrow list that was available.  

I guess maybe since all the studios are just making their own service the options are less for Netflix and maybe they are not allowing Netflix to show their stuff like Disney even though I am not sure Disney totally eliminated all of their movies from Netflix but maybe they did.  

Just stinks, because honestly if one wants to watch a movie you have to get one of what 10 streaming services and hope they have it available?  Was a lot easier with it all in one place.  And here is a question, Disney plus, if that is so great can you say watch all of the episodes of Duck Tales on it?  If not that is total bull****, they had such great cartoons back in the day and it should all be on that services because why the hell not....

Yeah, Netflix has been losing money over the past couple years if I recall correctly because of this exact thing.  Studios used to lease them out, but now are going for their own subscription services so exclusive content is king.  

It’s why Microsoft buying Bethesda was such a huge deal in gaming, and what it would mean for Sony.  

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

GameStop would eventually throw the used games they couldn’t sell in the dumpster.  I had a former employee go dumpster diving multiple times for them, and then he would turn around and try to sell them.  Crazy kid.  

Crazy?  That is being frugal and smart, more like a entrepreneur!  Better off saving the landfill, for at least a few years and why throw away something that works totally fine?  

But yes the production companies and or studios having their own streaming services really hurts Netflix no question.  But sorry I am not a fan of following studios and pretending they have good films because of the studio and having a variety of streaming services.  I follow Actors, Directors, cinematographers etc, then one can maybe get a track record of oh I like this....following studio productions I have never been a fan of but they want to control that content and I am sure get more for it.

What Disney is releasing a brand new Peter Pan story, and only available on that streaming services not even in theatres.  And they have so much content they just make a "live action" film of one of their great cartoons from back in the day and everyone loves it...  Pretty sad creatively but it makes money and that is all they care about, not to mention selling all of that Baby Yoda **** to little kids now....that is all that matters, speaking of things that will be in the dumpster a few years from now.  

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You really think you could rent Videodrome 1983 then in the system?  Pretty nuts if they have a catalog that big.  Or The Wailing 2016 for that matter an outstanding Korean film?

Totally pissed Lifeforce (1985) was never even on Netflix, that seems like a decent Sci Fi film but can never watch it, I think it is on youtube but the quality is crap...

just checked and they have multiple copies of all those films

@Ozzy, if you're calling The Thing a sci fi movie, that's your first and biggest mistake. Calling The Thing sci fi is like calling a lion a cat. The Thing is not a science fiction movie, it is the pinnacle of cosmic horror.

It's not about a monster, it's about paranoia and pure unadulterated cosmic dread.

You won't find a single reputable top 50 horror movie list without The Thing on the list.

IMDB currently has it at #5 all-time for horror. As far as cosmic horror, the only other in the discussion is Alien. Without ****ting on Alien, I disagree for the following reason: In Alien, aliens are confirmed to exist. Frequent references to "bug hunts" in the sequel, and their lack of any surprise, awe or terror at the fact they'd just discovered another species and an alien lifeform removes it from the cosmic terror realm and places it firmly in standard horror.

As much **** as I take for loving this movie as much as I do, literally nobody who knows anything about film or the horror genre in general would ever begrudge The Thing from its rightful place in the top 10 all-time for the genre.

You owe the movie and yourself another deep dive and careful viewing of the movie. Don't watch it for its effects (which are still more photorealistic than anything made in the past 20 years). Don't watch it for its timeless dialogue. Don't watch it for Kurt Russell or for any other reason than its cosmic terror.

https://www.listchallenges.com/imdbs-top-250-horror-2020

https://movieweb.com/scariest-important-horror-movies/#the-thing-1982

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-horror-movies-of-all-time-155470/the-thing-29386/

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-horror-movies/

https://www.timeout.com/film/best-horror-films

https://www.thetoptens.com/movies/the-best-horror-movies-ever-made/

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-horror-movies/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MacReady said:

@Ozzy, if you're calling The Thing a sci fi movie, that's your first and biggest mistake. Calling The Thing sci fi is like calling a lion a cat. The Thing is not a science fiction movie, it is the pinnacle of cosmic horror.

It's not about a monster, it's about paranoia and pure unadulterated cosmic dread.

You won't find a single reputable top 50 horror movie list without The Thing on the list.

IMDB currently has it at #5 all-time for horror. As far as cosmic horror, the only other in the discussion is Alien. Without ****ting on Alien, I disagree for the following reason: In Alien, aliens are confirmed to exist. Frequent references to "bug hunts" in the sequel, and their lack of any surprise, awe or terror at the fact they'd just discovered another species and an alien lifeform removes it from the cosmic terror realm and places it firmly in standard horror.

As much **** as I take for loving this movie as much as I do, literally nobody who knows anything about film or the horror genre in general would ever begrudge The Thing from its rightful place in the top 10 all-time for the genre.

You owe the movie and yourself another deep dive and careful viewing of the movie. Don't watch it for its effects (which are still more photorealistic than anything made in the past 20 years). Don't watch it for its timeless dialogue. Don't watch it for Kurt Russell or for any other reason than its cosmic terror.

https://www.listchallenges.com/imdbs-top-250-horror-2020

https://movieweb.com/scariest-important-horror-movies/#the-thing-1982

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-horror-movies-of-all-time-155470/the-thing-29386/

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-horror-movies/

https://www.timeout.com/film/best-horror-films

https://www.thetoptens.com/movies/the-best-horror-movies-ever-made/

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-horror-movies/

Cosmic horror?  So it has its own category and the only other film in the category is Alien?  Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 are all better than The Thing.  What Star Wars is Cosmic horror, like the Empire Strikes Back would be?  

District 9
Moon 2009 
Snowpiercer
Gattaca 

Those Cosmic horror, probably not, District 9 maybe I guess, that movie rocks honestly but I would not call it a horror film and not sure The Thing is that either.  And Snowpiercer is a way more entertaining film and if The Thing is Cosmic horror then Snowpiercer is and is better at it...  I still have Snowpiercer as Sci Fi as well and no way a horror film.  

The Thing is top 10 in the genre of what, Cosmic horror?  In no way is The Thing better than these horror movies to me.  

*Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
*Alien 
*A Nightmare on Elm Street
*The Exorcist
*The Shining
*Silence of the Lambs
*The Evil Dead (1981)
*Psycho
*Halloween
*Manhunter (1986)  

And of my favorite horror movies I have seen all time, Alien and Aliens are the only two in the group which could even be considered "cosmic horror" so clearly that genre even if it is one has little to no competition honestly.  What include those crap Alien origin movies, Prometheus then Alien Convenant which Ridley Scott should be ashamed of, what that is cosmic horror?  

The Thing is so lacking in other quality and interesting characters it is nuts, outside of Kurt Russell there is almost no one who is even remotely interesting at all.  Talk about a nobody cast outside of one guy...

I will say I should watch The Thing again, especially since I might never again with Netflix gone, and not like I will go buy the movie that will never happen.  I will have to dig deeper into it and watch it again no question out of the respect you have for the film.  Crazy thing is, if The Thing is so great, why is it literally never ever shown on cable TV?  Like it is absolutely never shown, if it is so unanimously popular why is it never shown?  Clearly does not fit that well into the horror category for Halloween and is never shown on the horror movie kick before and around October every year...

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Cosmic horror?  So it has its own category and the only other film in the category is Alien?  Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 are all better than The Thing.  What Star Wars is Cosmic horror, like the Empire Strikes Back would be?  

District 9
Moon 2009 
Snowpiercer
Gattaca 

Those Cosmic horror, probably not, District 9 maybe I guess, that movie rocks honestly but I would not call it a horror film and not sure The Thing is that either.  And Snowpiercer is a way more entertaining film and if The Thing is Cosmic horror then Snowpiercer is and is better at it...  I still have Snowpiercer as Sci Fi as well and no way a horror film.  

The Thing is top 10 in the genre of what, Cosmic horror?  In no way is The Thing better than these horror movies to me.  

*Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
*Alien 
*A Nightmare on Elm Street
*The Exorcist
*The Shining
*Silence of the Lambs
*The Evil Dead (1981)
*Psycho
*Halloween
*Manhunter (1986)  

And of my favorite horror movies I have seen all time, Alien and Aliens are the only two in the group which could even be considered "cosmic horror" so clearly that genre even if it is one has little to no competition honestly.  What include those crap Alien origin movies, Prometheus then Alien Convenant which Ridley Scott should be ashamed of, what that is cosmic horror?  

The Thing is so lacking in other quality and interesting characters it is nuts, outside of Kurt Russell there is almost no one who is even remotely interesting at all.  Talk about a nobody cast outside of one guy...

I will say I should watch The Thing again, especially since I might never again with Netflix gone, and not like I will go buy the movie that will never happen.  I will have to dig deeper into it and watch it again no question out of the respect you have for the film.  Crazy thing is, if The Thing is so great, why is it literally never ever shown on cable TV?  Like it is absolutely never shown, if it is so unanimously popular why is it never shown?  Clearly does not fit that well into the horror category for Halloween and is never shown on the horror movie kick before and around October every year...

michael jackson mj GIF

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

michael jackson mj GIF

Hey at least The Thing is worth a conversation unlike a lot of the crap now a days not even worth the time to talk about.

I saw a list on Rotten Tomatoes, top 200 "horror" movies all time.  Pathetically 'Get Out' and 'Us' both made the top 5 which is a joke, sure they are kind of scary but top 5 tall time?  So any idiot can make a list and if it is depending on the public for voting, yeah the public does not watch enough movies to vote well on the subject.  

Did see this at #3 on that list, never heard of it so will have to check it out for sure.  

Might just have to watch it for free on youtube, rare quality full length film on there....

Oh and on that same list The Babadook was #14 all time, what a joke that movie sucked!  On said list The Thing was #138 so there is that ;o)  

Edited by Ozzy

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Crazy thing is, if The Thing is so great, why is it literally never ever shown on cable TV?  Like it is absolutely never shown, if it is so unanimously popular why is it never shown?  Clearly does not fit that well into the horror category for Halloween and is never shown on the horror movie kick before and around October every year...

John Carpenter loved it so much he re-did it, as well as included the two ids watching it in the original Halloween

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:15 PM, August4th said:

just checked and they have multiple copies of all those films

Impressive, what about The Pumpkin Eater (1964)?  That movie looks amazing with Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch!