Jameson Williams Fallout--Possible Veteran WR Trade?

Just Want A Title

Losing Jameson Williams for 6 games hurts no matter how you look at it.  I think the Lions could make a move for to another WR to help the offense in his absence and make him work harder to earn his playing time when he does return.  Marvin Jones may not have enough left in the tank to be a legit #2WR.  Josh Reynolds isn't likely to blossom into something more than he has always been at this point in his career.  There might be some legitimate options:

1.  Obtain Cedrick Wilson from the Dolphins--He is buried on the depth chart in Miami.  He would provide a proven deep-threat capability.  He isn't known as a physical receiver but has decent size.  He has a significant contract but he seems pretty "plug and play"

2.  Obtain Jalen Tolbert from the Cowboys--He isn't necessarily a burner but was a solid small school prospect who is buried on the depth chart in Dallas after their Brandon Cooks trade.  He is pretty young and his contract would be easy to absorb.  

I don't think the Lions would be interested in DeAndre Hopkins because the cost would be pretty high.  These seem like two legit options if the Lions decide to bring in someone else.  Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Or just stick to the plan and not make any moves just for the sake of claiming you did something. 

I kind of doubt having Jameson Williams suspended for six games was a part of anyone's plan.  As Mike Tyson once said-Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".  They may not want to do something but they may need to do something if for no other reason than to make it clear to Jameson Williams that the only way to see playing time will be to out work the other WRs.  He may not quite get that yet.

If the Lions are smart, on the first day that Jameson Williams returns from suspension they should have the depth chart on display with him ad WR#3 or WR#4.

Edited by Just Want A Title

28 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I kind of doubt having Jameson Williams suspended for six games was a part of anyone's plan.  As Mike Tyson once said-Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".  They may not want to do something but they may need to do something if for no other reason than to make it clear to Jameson Williams that the only way to see playing time will be to out work the other WRs.  He may not quite get that yet.

If the Lions are smart, on the first day that Jameson Williams returns from suspension they should have the depth chart on display with him ad WR#3 or WR#4.

How I don't like this post, let me count the ways

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Losing Jameson Williams for 6 games hurts no matter how you look at it.  I think the Lions could make a move for to another WR to help the offense in his absence and make him work harder to earn his playing time when he does return.  Marvin Jones may not have enough left in the tank to be a legit #2WR.  Josh Reynolds isn't likely to blossom into something more than he has always been at this point in his career.  There might be some legitimate options:

1.  Obtain Cedrick Wilson from the Dolphins--He is buried on the depth chart in Miami.  He would provide a proven deep-threat capability.  He isn't known as a physical receiver but has decent size.  He has a significant contract but he seems pretty "plug and play"

2.  Obtain Jalen Tolbert from the Cowboys--He isn't necessarily a burner but was a solid small school prospect who is buried on the depth chart in Dallas after their Brandon Cooks trade.  He is pretty young and his contract would be easy to absorb.  

I don't think the Lions would be interested in DeAndre Hopkins because the cost would be pretty high.  These seem like two legit options if the Lions decide to bring in someone else.  Thoughts?

Someone Id like us to kick the tires on is Terry McLaurin. Washington is in a transition with new ownership and they have Samuel and Dotson. TM is reasonably cap friendly this year ($5M) but it'd jump to $13M next year. He's a proven guy and is someone that could stick around for the next few years. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Someone Id like us to kick the tires on is Terry McLaurin. Washington is in a transition with new ownership and they have Samuel and Dotson. TM is reasonably cap friendly this year ($5M) but it'd jump to $13M next year. He's a proven guy and is someone that could stick around for the next few years. 

His is one of the most under-rated players in the NFL right now.  Based on the recent spat of crazy money being thrown at WRs his contract is actually pretty affordable.  He has put up really good number despite having so-so QBs.  Curtis Samuel is a big name but has never had a 1,000 yard season and is way over-paid.  I would be shocked if the Commanders would be willing to trade him but if they are open to making a deal the Lions should consider it.

With four playable WR alternatives depth is the only issue.   I'd look for a Saturday solution after addressing more urgent needs.  Take one or two of these guys late and coach 'em up:

Rank Team PFF  Buzz 40Yd  Wide Receivers       College   Positn Scd  Tall Lbs

125. 68th 116  82.0 4.44  Trey Palmer          Nebraska   WR16  +11  6'1" 190
135. 34th 163  82.1 4.52  Dontay Demus Jr.     Maryland   WR18   -2  6'4" 215
149. 83rd 149* 84.2 4.40  Dontayvion Wicks     Virginia   WR19  +14  6'1" 206
208. 43rd 125  80.5 4.29  Tyler Scott          Cinci     SWR25  -20  5'11 185
209. 80th 219  80.8 4.44  Elijah Higgins       Stanford   WR26  +33  6'3" 234
213. 51st 175  80.5 4.51  Charlie Jones        Purdue     WR27  +17  6'0" 188
279. ---- 120  81.5 4.29  Andrei Iosivas       Princtn    WR32  ---  6'3" 200

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

With four playable WR alternatives depth is the only issue.   I'd look for a Saturday solution after addressing more urgent needs.  Take one or two of these guys late and coach 'em up:

Andrei Iosivas is a really interesting prospect.  It is tough to find sleepers in the draft but he has the tools to succeed in the NFL even if he played at Princeton.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Andrei Iosivas is a really interesting prospect.  It is tough to find sleepers in the draft but he has the tools to succeed in the NFL even if he played at Princeton.

Yes, those numbers pop. 

Looking at the team needs lists, WRs (and CBs, as opposed to OLs) are going to fly off the board so the Lions will need to start in Round #4 or #5.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

“Playable” isn’t gonna cut it if this team wants to get to the postseason.

This offense needs gamebreakers and game breaker insurance. Outside of ARSB, no one is a proven gamer in a starting role @WR. Holmes will take a WR somewhere in the first two rounds……I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see him double dip and take another one later……..we need jamo insurance 
mark it down.

Edited by Miblue

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

This offense needs gamebreakers and game breaker insurance. Outside of ARSB, no one is a proven gamer in a starting role @WR. Holmes will take a WR somewhere in the first two rounds……I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see him double dip and take another one later……..we need jamo insurance 
mark it down.

Andrei Iosivas is no joke and could contribute as a rookie.  Keep in mind, he played at Princeton but still managed to put up respectable stats.  His ceiling might be #2WR.

http://hosted.stats.com/cfb/players.asp?id=291765

2 hours ago, Miblue said:

This offense needs gamebreakers and game breaker insurance.

The 5th rated offense is not the problem.  The 28th ranked defense, rebounding from dead last, is.

Lacking three of them--down from 8 thanks to a fruitful free agency--the team needs starters  (with the normal sprinkling of stars).  Teams that begin a year with 22 legitimate starters almost always make the playoffs.  Finish the year with 22 and you'll win Super Bowls.

Outside of ARSB, no one is a proven gamer

...including Jameson Williams.

Holmes will take a WR somewhere in the first two rounds…

Not if he understands the advantage of replacing a 98th ranked player for the entire year over upgrading a 37th ranked one for the six weeks that Jameson is suspended.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc

It's pretty much good business at this point to draft a receiver every year. You need five of them (at least) and we are really lacking on the depth chart. All of the sudden if ARSB gets hurt it's an absolute mess. Reynolds and Jones and Raymond are fine as your 3/4/5, but once you start sliding those guys up the depth chart it's a bit messy. If you want to keep Goff playing like he was then he needs weapons. 

I'd look at drafting a guy on Day 2. It's not a particularly good class for receivers, especially if you want a bigger guy, but there is some talent to be found there. Even with Jamo WR was probably still a bit of a need - Jones and Reynolds are old and I believe are both just here for one more year, and Raymond just isn't anything special.