Bold Draft Predictions

MonserinNC

1. I dont think we go with big names at all. We sort of went unexpected last year, and even this offseason we went heavy on linebackers. I expect more of the same, outside of OL I think we go super random

2. We really do go BPA....Alot of our players are not from this regime.....Eddie Jackson is a super high paid guy without much production...also why are we sold Kmet? I think we draft a few positions that make the mainstays uncomfortable

3. I listened to an interview with Rob Marenelli.....he said the UT is the guy with the highest motor, not the motor of the defense....that doesnt describe Carter at all.

4. I think we go Darnelll Wright at 9. Fields has legs, we dont need a conventional blind side guy like Brady did....just the best OL

1. Poles trades down and up at least once each, but neither in the first round

2. Bears do not go OT and DL in the first two picks like many of us have mocked endlessly

3. When I do my real-time draft, not one pick will match Poles' (for better or worse  lol)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

2. Bears do not go OT and DL in the first two picks like many of us have mocked endlessly

I think we go OT but I think DL will really be a curveball.....I just dont think they value the position as much as fans do....I totally see us drafting a hard worker in the 5th round or something

Im half way with you on OT also, Our LT is a 5th round pick.....I dont know that we just use a top 10 pick on drafting the other book end that quickly

1 minute ago, MonserinNC said:

I think we go OT but I think DL will really be a curveball.....I just dont think they value the position as much as fans do....I totally see us drafting a hard worker in the 5th round or something

Im half way with you on OT also, Our LT is a 5th round pick.....I dont know that we just use a top 10 pick on drafting the other book end that quickly

I'm wondering if there is multiple trade downs and Poles grabs a handful more picks to grab guys that he likes. I could see a swarm of 3rd and 4th rounders being something he would covet. He has the coaches he chose and believes they can develop guys, so he may be a far more traits-based GM than he is a production based one. I'm not opposed to it either. Also he has far more comfort in his role than most of us would in our own so winning now isn't as important to him as seeing significant growth and re-assessing his players.

As long as Fields continues growing and looks like a top 10 QB I couldn't care about much else this season. If he looks bad then I start looking hard at the top 2 guys for the 2024 draft. (I am VERY pro-Fields obviously though  lol)

21 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I don’t think that the plan last year was to start a 5th round pick at LT. I just think it became apparent to them shortly after the draft that he was going to be their best option there.

I also think that the fact that we haven’t even signed a depth level OT in FA up until now suggests to me that Poles knows he’s addressing OT early in the draft with an expected day 1 starter. 

59 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

-As many RBs go in the 1st round as WRs (2)

There’s a similar discussion going on in the draft forum and a guy said more rbs go than wr. I see JSN, Flowers, and maybe one of Johnston, Addison, or Hyatt at the very least and Bijan and Jahmyr at the very most. Achane and Charbonnet are both extreme long shots to me. One mock in the mocks forum that is a bit more off the wall has Flowers falling to 58. If we somehow got him at 53, my excitement might be on par with when we got Brandon Marshall. 

But not really. I feel like a virgin doofus admitting this but the world was spinning for me when we got Brandon Marshall. He was my favorite player in the league for years before that and I didn’t see us getting him, even with the Cutler connection already known. He was finally the 1k yard caliber wr id been wanting in Chicago my whole bears fandom life 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

There’s a similar discussion going on in the draft forum and a guy said more rbs go than wr. I see JSN, Flowers, and maybe one of Johnston, Addison, or Hyatt at the very least and Bijan and Jahmyr at the very most. Achane and Charbonnet are both extreme long shots to me. One mock in the mocks forum that is a bit more off the wall has Flowers falling to 58. If we somehow got him at 53, my excitement might be on par with when we got Brandon Marshall. 

I really think once you get beyond JSN the next group of WRs from like 2-10 are all going to grade out really similarly overall with each having little things that might distinguish one guy from another for different teams. Most of these guys are likely WR2/3 to me. Good, solid, long term pros, but not studs. From a roster construction standpoint taking a player the same caliber in the 20s that you could get in the 50s doesn’t make a great deal of sense. 

I'll take some shots.  I'll even go a bit beyond draft.  

Bears fans won't be able to stand the wait for 2024 draft with two first rounders.

Bears draft Darnell Wright at 9 (and take a lot of reach criticism since Wright has gone much lower in simulators all year).  

If Jalen Carter falls to 9 the Bears take him (and take character and love of football criticism).

I think Poles order of operation for Bears goes 1) good trade down offer, 2) Carter if he falls, 3) Wright, 4) Paris.    I would be okay with that.  

Bears later get practice squad player(s) poached by teams with few draft picks, just like Rams took Zach Thomas last year.  This is problem with a big draft class.

Bears draft one of 1) Tippman, 2) Olusegun Oluwatimi, 3) Juice Scruggs or 4) Ricky Stromberg.   [ I think the MN kid is gone after their first round pick and before they pick again and is not an option.]  [I personally would really like Tippman on our team] 

I think Poles won't draft Dawand Jones.  He doesn't like the overly heavy guys.

I think Poles won't draft Bijan Robinson at 9 even if he is BPA due to positional value.   Poles is an analytics guy and analytics say no to this pick.   In my opinion, if your OL is loaded and built, an exceptional RB is worth an early pick.  They can really move needle in that circumstance.  But RB always has to be secondary to building OL.   No RB does well when OL is bad and they all do adequate when OL is good.    Due to scarcity of OL however, taking a RB in top 10 is almost never going to be worth it.  

Bears draft a RB in first 5 rounds.  He eventually becomes our starter in 2023.  

Bears don't draft a WR in first 3 rounds.  

Bears take an edge in first 3 rounds, we all like the pick on reflection, but he disappoints in 2023.  But we are pleasantly surprised with Dominque Robinson who shows improvement in 2023.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really think once you get beyond JSN the next group of WRs from like 2-10 are all going to grade out really similarly overall with each having little things that might distinguish one guy from another for different teams. Most of these guys are likely WR2/3 to me. Good, solid, long term pros, but not studs. From a roster construction standpoint taking a player the same caliber in the 20s that you could get in the 50s doesn’t make a great deal of sense. 

They invited Flowers to attend draft.   Tells me they think he is likely to go in first.