Draft Day 2 Discussion Thread - No Spoilers But Speculate Away

MKnight82

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think these are almost necessities, given the team’s cap position. Especially if they’re planning to add other veterans at positions of need. Not sure how they managed to piss away all the cap room they had after cutting Wentz, but they sure did. I would wager one or both will be June 1 cuts, to maximize the cap benefit of the moves. 

My buddy who is also a Redskins/Commanders fan, asked me kinda jokingly the following question. And to be honest, I really couldn't give him a good answer right off the bat:

"For a team that has no real superstars (*), and only a few stars, how is it that we always seem to have zero cap space and are now having to cut players so we can pay the draftees?"

(*) before anything gets twisted or wadded, he regards Allen, and a few others, as stars but not quite superstars (yet)

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, I mean, not much they do makes sense. 

Eh. I mean, the moves they’ve made for the most part this season make sense in the perspective of needs and fills. Whether we agree with them or not is something else. ARich doesn’t. They truly think they’re getting the leeway to be around years?

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Eh. I mean, the moves they’ve made for the most part this season make sense in the perspective of needs and fills. Whether we agree with them or not is something else. ARich doesn’t. They truly think they’re getting the leeway to be around years?

Rivera has to know he's getting fired. Same with Mayhew and Jason Wright however they all are acting like Harris is going to keep everyone aboard. I mean, I guess that's how you have to be. Not sure how else you would operate in this situation?

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-what-does-scot-mccloughan-think-of-the-commanders-class/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

"The drunk" had high praise for our draft class. I think he is a darn good talent evaluator, but we will be comparing Gonzalez and Forbes for their entire careers. He really liked the RB in the 6th as well. Claimed to have a 2nd round grade on him. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 11:33 PM, Thaiphoon said:

My buddy who is also a Redskins/Commanders fan, asked me kinda jokingly the following question. And to be honest, I really couldn't give him a good answer right off the bat:

"For a team that has no real superstars (*), and only a few stars, how is it that we always seem to have zero cap space and are now having to cut players so we can pay the draftees?"

(*) before anything gets twisted or wadded, he regards Allen, and a few others, as stars but not quite superstars (yet)

It’s a really easy question to answer when you say WE DON’T HAVE A QUARTERBACK or, if you go to overthecap.com

1. We're paying Allen like the top 10, arguably top 5 DT he is in the league. And we’ll be paying Payne that much next year.

2. We're paying Terry $11 million this year & will be paying him #1 WR money next year, also > $20 mil.

3. Our 2019 rookie DE is on his 5th-year option which costs $11.5 mil. Chase’s 4th-year salary is $11 mil, so we have $22.5 mil wrapped up in our starting DEs.

Our starting DL is costing us $52.5 million w/o Payne’s contract extension kicking in or a 2nd-year contract for Chase or Sweat kicking in.

4. Chase Roullier is designated as a June 1st cut, so we won't see that $8.4 mil in cap savings for cutting him until June 1st.

5. We’re paying Charles Leno like the above-average starting LT he is & the going rate for that is $12.5 million.

4. For some reason, Rivera, the Marty’s & Rob Rogers won't restructure/extend good but not great veterans on contracts they have on their roster who they may want to keep around for more than one more year. 

So, because of that, they're overpaying for Curtis Samuel ($13 mil), Kendall Fuller ($11.6 mil) & Logan Thomas ($8.7 mil) this year because they haven't made a decision on whether to restructure/extend them to keep them for another year or two in the future or to cut them right now.

5. While Sam Howell is cheap, Jacoby Brissett is not cheap if he’s going to be our backup. If Jacoby and ends up being our starter his $8.5 mil is going to be cheap as a starter, but if Howell wins the job as we all hope & Brissett is Howell’a back up that $8.5 mil looks really expensive for a backup QB.

6. We are paying $4 mil for our backup swing tackle Cornelius Lucas bc we couldn't afford to lose him last year given the mess they had already made of the OL after failing to adequately replace Scherff in FA or the draft & after also cutting Flowers. We’re also paying $5 million for an average & over the hill starting LG in Norwell who was better than most think last year, but still not worth the $5 mil he's getting paid this year.

So there's two more cases of us overpaying veterans to add to the list of us currently overpaying Fuller, Samuel & Thomas bc we won't restructure/extend them or cut them right now until we know we have adequate replacements for them on this roster - if we do at all.

As many on the radio are saying, if Fuller doesn't have a great off-season/camp/preseason or if Forbes & Martin do, Fuller is looking like a cut candidate in late August or the week before the season starts, especially if we need cap space come September to upgrade a different position with some vets.

June 1st though we will have $11 mil in cap space when Roullier’s June 1st cap savings kick in. Of course in July we have to sig our rookies, so almaot all of that $11 mil will go bye bye.

I do wonder if they'll be going to some of our high priced vets in July to ask to ask them about restructures. One guy who sticks out like a sore thumb is Cornelius Lucas making $4 mil as our 3rd tackle. That definitely seems like a place you should restructure. Kendall Fuller, Logan Thomas & Curtis Samuel too, but only if you’re planning on keeping these guys past this season & I'm not sure that they at planning on keeping those 3, Norwell or Lucas past this season - if that.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:10 AM, MikeT14 said:

I honestly don't think anyone builds their team like that or would think like that. Yeah, it's extremely likely that short of this team going to the playoffs this season with double-digit wins that anyone Josh Harris is inheriting from Dan Snyder this year will be kept but as a GM/HC/President of a sports franchise no one is thinking that way. They're going to try to get the best talent they can as long as they don't view the cost as being too high.

Their trading up into the top 4 for Richardson made no sense bc of the future assets they’d have to give up not bc they are building the team like they're going to get fired after the year.

What I'm shocked by is that they didn't do more to trade up in round 2 to get Will Levis after he fell out of the first round. I think it would’ve been a great competition between Howell, Levis & Brissett for the starting job this year.

Out of that group, Levis would have the most upside but also big bust potential w/ Howell being a combination of upside & a high floor while Brissett would be the reliable veteran to turn to for this season if neither Howell nor Levis would've proven this July/August that they deserved to be the starter & could be the long term answer.

@lavar703

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-what-does-scot-mccloughan-think-of-the-commanders-class/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook

"The drunk" had high praise for our draft class. I think he is a darn good talent evaluator, but we will be comparing Gonzalez and Forbes for their entire careers. He really liked the RB in the 6th as well. Claimed to have a 2nd round grade on him. 

I think he's a decent talent evaluator. I think people overlooked his royal screw-ups in FA & the draft bc they hated Snyder, Bruce Allen & Jay so much.

Not only did he have multiple bar FA signings & draft busts in DC but he did in San Fran also but people forget that bc well... Dan & Bruce. 

Our D & run game for worse from 2015 to 2016 and that was bc of the poor decisions McCloughan made in FA & the draft, not bc of Kirk Cousins, Jay & Bruce even though most people will never admit/realize that.

McCloughan not re-signing Alfred Morris bc he wanted to prove everyone he was right about drafting Matt Jones in round 3 was idiotic. Taking Josh Doctaon who was a bad route runner but had athletic potential over the dominant Derrick Henry, exceptional route runner in Michael Thomas or multiple DL which would’ve improved our 3-4 Run D& pushing the pocket was idiotic in 2016.

Not doing enough of a background check on Sua Cravens's personality/mental issues proved to be a colossal mistake etc etc.

If you put Alfred Morris on the 2016 Redskins with Michael Thomas to go with Djax, Crowder, Garcon & Reed I’ll show you our 2016 playoff appearance & a possible 2016-17 playoff win.