You are on the clock....make the pick

Dcash4

I wanted to do a prediction thing for the first 16 picks so I turned it into a "make the pick". Follow along with my framework of the first 16 picks and choose the player you think the Steelers will pick at 17

Rule 1) No trading. I called. Teams are all set. 

Rule 2) There are no more rules. 

Here we go:

1.1 - Carolina Panthers select....

• Bryce Young, QB Alabama - Nothing crazy here. They made the trade, the are getting "their guy". 

1.2 - TRADE - Indianapolis Colts select

• Dun, dun, dun.....Will Levis, QB Kentucky. So they say you shouldn't trade in your division, especially for a franchise QB. But that's different when you don't believe in any of the QBs. Houston picks up the Colts next years first in a plan to stockpile for Caleb Williams. Why Levis? Remember who the new Colts HC is? Remember who he coached in Philly? Indy is a ready built run-first team that isn't looking for a project. They NEED to win sooner rather than later (Well, Chris Ballard needs to win). Levis is NFL ready -- look at his Junior year under Liam Coen spitting out 20 word, three choice play calls. Stroud is a pocket only guy and AR15 is a bit more of a project. Levis is a leader and ready to play in an NFL system today. 

1.3 - Arizona Cardinals select....

• Will Anderson, LB Alabama - Well, that....didn't go well. Houston skipping QB put less interest on the AZ pick to move. So the team that needs literally anything takes the best defender. 

1.4 - (traded) Houston Texans select...

• Tyree Wilson, LB Texas Tech - Not hard for a team that has plenty of needs. They take one of the top edge guys. 

1.5 - Seattle Seahawks select....

• Jalen Carter, DT Georgia - Ruh roh. This is a mistake for a team that doesn't want to pick this high again for skipping QB, but they couldn't pass up the blue chip defender. 

1.6 - TRADE - Tennessee Titans select....

• CJ Stroud, QB Ohio State - Titans get the QB of the future. This isn't the mobile QB team of the past, but new OC Tim Kelly is cool with that. This team needs new life and it starts a QB who could have went at 2. 

1.7 - TRADE - New England Patriots select...

• Anthony Richardson, QB Florida - Bill gets his wish. The Navy offense is coming to New England. Bill trades Mac Jones to his buddy in Oakland Las Vegas and gets a run first QB to build around. 

1.8 - Atlanta Falcons select...

• Bijan Robinson, RB Texas - High for a running back? Yeah, but he might also be the best pure talent in this draft. Have you ever seen an Arthur Smith offense? Good lord this offense is going to have some dudes on it. Can they block anyone? I mean, no...but dudes!

1.9 - Chicago Bears select...

• Paris Johnson, T Ohio State - First offensive lineman comes off the board. Bears played this draft well. Moved down and still got the top OL. They traded down once, they weren't doing it again. 

1.10 - Philadelphia Eagles select...

• Nolan Smith, ATH Georgia - Eagles lost a ton in the middle of their defense, but lost a lot of athleticism overall. Does Smith fit in the MOF? Not sure, but they err on the side of athlete in a defense that has a pretty solid front. If one Haasan Reddick is good, two must be great, right?

1.11 - (traded) Detroit Lions select...

• Myles Murphy, LB Clemson - Detroit finds a nice pairing to go with Hutchinson. That defense needed work so they get one of the better guys available. 

1.12 - Houston Texans select...

• Devon Witherspoon, CB Illinois - First corner off the board at 12 is a surprise, but the Texans land a dude at 12. 

1.13 - TRADE - Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

• Broderick Jones, T Georgia - The board set up nicely for Green Bay. Their biggest needs are still all available. Tampa doesn't want to miss the tackle run and moves up for their guy. 

1.14 - (traded) Las Vegas Raiders select...

• Christian Gonzalez, CB Oregon - Pick the best player available. They need everything and anything. 

1.15 - New York Jets select...

• Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR Ohio State - Hey that dude you just traded for? Yeah he has been asking for weapons his whole career. They could have easily gone tackle here, but call it the Aaron Rodgers effect. 

1.16 - Washington Commanders select...

• Hendon Hooker, QB Tennessee - New ownership groups love splash. And while the sale might not be settled yet, this team takes a swing at QB. 

1.17 -- The Pittsburgh Steelers are on the clock.....

Top Players available:

- Peter Skoronski, OL
- Darnell Wright, OT
- Brian Branch, S/NB
- Jordan Addison, WR
- Deonte Banks, CB
- Lukas van Ness, Edge
 - Joey Porter Jr, CB
- Isaiah Foskey, Edge
- Kelee Ringo, CB
- Bryan Breese, DT
- Dalton Kincaid, TE
- Michael Mayer, TE
- Quentin Johnston, WR
- Calijah Kancey, DT

5 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Trade down and get lower in the first round and add a pick of value. 

If that is not an option then:

It's  Joey Porter Jr. followed by  Lucas Van Ness, and then Darnell Wright for me. 

if the draft gets shaken up, would you opt to trade down a few spots and if the players of interest are still there, trade down again? If you had 3 players, trade down 2 spots then again 2 spots.  Need a trade parter but if there is one why not if in fact there isn't one player you strongly favour.  

• Like 1

Darnell Wright...that was too easy.  I wish I had teachers like you when I was in school...

Seriously though...I'd be pretty upset if they didn't take Wright. JPJ might be okay, Forbes would be better, but with some of the terrible decision-making by others in this thing, I'd be confident that one of Banks, Forbes, Branch, or JPJ will be there at 32.

56 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

if the draft gets shaken up, would you opt to trade down a few spots

Yes absolutely.  I am hoping that a player that I may like, not loves would fall somewhat. For example: I like Darnell Wright, but not necessarily at 17.. Gabbing RT Darnell Wright in the 20's would be a very good pick and value, especially if we could add another pick. That's win/win.  

and if the players of interest are still there, trade down again?

I am not going to necessailry keep playing Let's Make  A Deal, because eventually you end up with a dud and miss on a player or players who could really help you. 

If you had 3 players, trade down 2 spots then again 2 spots.  Need a trade parter but if there is one why not if in fact there isn't one player you strongly favour.  

Each time I am trading down I am adding picks. Again, I don't need 12 picks, but I would be happy with 7-8 picks in the right spots of each round. I think when you can add quality players draft them.

12 picks is a bit much but at least at that point you have the players you want instead of another team getting to them before we do for UDFA. It also allows a QB pick RD4 range, and we need QB2 eventually. 

As for the dud, thats always the fear but this draft is deep and it should be probable to get good picks , but still a risk. 

with the amount of depth in this draft, we should get good players no matter what. 

Edited by 3rivers

1 hour ago, AFF said:

This might be worst case scenario come 7 hours from now.

Agreed…I’m trying to trade down in this scenario. 

If trade down isn’t an option I go Darnell Wright and hope JPJ or Forbes last until 32. Maybe even a small trade up from 32 for JPJ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

This might be worst case scenario come 7 hours from now.

ha, yeah...I made it a bit that way on purpose. I think this years draft is going to be nuts. Not a long list of top end guys and 4-5 QBs that could go in round 1. Going to lead to some movement (I have 9 traded picks happening in the first 15 selections. 

Kinda surprised, though, that no one has said Peter Skoronski. Blue chip guy available at 17? Feels Decastro-ish. I know he might be better suited inside, but take him and let him compete with Moore at his natural position in year 1. If it doesn't work out switch him to the interior in the off-season and grow that perennial pro-bowl talent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

ha, yeah...I made it a bit that way on purpose. I think this years draft is going to be nuts. Not a long list of top end guys and 4-5 QBs that could go in round 1. Going to lead to some movement (I have 9 traded picks happening in the first 15 selections. 

Kinda surprised, though, that no one has said Peter Skoronski. Blue chip guy available at 17? Feels Decastro-ish. I know he might be better suited inside, but take him and let him compete with Moore at his natural position in year 1. If it doesn't work out switch him to the interior in the off-season and grow that perennial pro-bowl talent. 

I never did make a choice…it would probably be him.

Other possibilities would be JPJ/LVN….maybe even Breese.

• Like 1