1st round, 2nd overall: QB CJ Stroud

Texansfan713

CJ is a stud. Just watch his game against Georgia.

There’s a dumb narrative that our WRs made him look better than he was. Marvin Harrison Jr was the only WR he played with where you could make that claim. Even then, that’s because Harrison is probably the GOAT in our schools history.

CJ mastered a very tough pro level Ryan Day scheme. He’s a very smart kid and Ryan Day threw the kitchen sink at him. It’s no longer like the days under Urban Meyer with gimmicky zone reads. You have got to have a high football IQ to play QB at OSU.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2023 at 4:37 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Please for the love of god invest in the OL unlike what the Bears did with Justin Fields. You put a top 10 OL out there and you have your QB for the next decade. Ill be watching/rooting for you guys.

Just to add on-

This is 100% accurate. Stroud will NEED to be protected. He’s a pocket passer (but he can move if needed).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Just to add on-

This is 100% accurate. Stroud will NEED to be protected. He’s a pocket passer (but he can move if needed).

We should have a very good offensive line. 

we have Tunsil who is a pro bowl LT. 
Green was a 1st round pick last year 
we used a 2nd round pick at center 
we traded for Shaq Mason who started on 2 Super Bowl winning teams
we have a 1st rounder in Howard at RT

if offensive line is not a strength then the line coaches need to be fired. 

we have a good TE and we have a stud RB. 

we have several weapons at WR, though we are missing a true number 1. Still Stroud will have everything he needs to be successful. 

I want to see 3,000 yards and a 20-10 TD:INT ratio 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We should have a very good offensive line. 

we have Tunsil who is a pro bowl LT. 
Green was a 1st round pick last year 
we used a 2nd round pick at center 
we traded for Shaq Mason who started on 2 Super Bowl winning teams
we have a 1st rounder in Howard at RT

if offensive line is not a strength then the line coaches need to be fired. 

we have a good TE and we have a stud RB. 

we have several weapons at WR, though we are missing a true number 1. Still Stroud will have everything he needs to be successful. 

I want to see 3,000 yards and a 20-10 TD:INT ratio 

I’m biased because I root for Houston to do well, kinda like Detroit.

However, I 100% think you guys win your division in 2 years. CJ has to mentally process the game next year, but he’ll be brilliant at times.

• Like 1

Very glad we drafted Stroud, particularly with all the talk around Levis or even Tyree Wilson at #2. Kudos to whoever in the front office sent out those smoke signals.

I still wish we had Young as I think his ability to create something out of nothing is elite but I think Stroud could end up a Pro Bowl level type QB with good coaching.

• Like 1

My biggest question is this: do you make Stroud “earn it” this off season? The conventional answer is “yes of course” but the reality is that the “earning” process is a farce and everyone knows it. It’s not gonna force Stroud to work harder to earn the respect of his teammates. Everyone in America knows he’s better than Mills or Kennum. All this is gonna do is take away first team reps from Stroud early on. I’m off the mindset that nothing should be done for show. If you know 100% he’s the starter, then make him the day 1 starter. And if he’s not the day 1 starter then don’t give up what we gave up to get Anderson. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

My biggest question is this: do you make Stroud “earn it” this off season? The conventional answer is “yes of course” but the reality is that the “earning” process is a farce and everyone knows it. It’s not gonna force Stroud to work harder to earn the respect of his teammates. Everyone in America knows he’s better than Mills or Kennum. All this is gonna do is take away first team reps from Stroud early on. I’m off the mindset that nothing should be done for show. If you know 100% he’s the starter, then make him the day 1 starter. And if he’s not the day 1 starter then don’t give up what we gave up to get Anderson. 

Stroud doesn’t seem to have that mindset, and I don’t think Meco would let that fly. But Stroud is QB1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Stroud doesn’t seem to have that mindset, and I don’t think Meco would let that fly. But Stroud is QB1.

Agreed - I've been reading up on Stroud and his rise to prominence: He wasn't one of these kids who was found early by a private QB coach, he didn't have the money or clout to get invited to the Nike QB camps as a kid, he studied QBs on YouTube and emulated their mechanics and form, etc. He really grew his awareness and ability on his own, he didn't get the next level tutoring until he started getting press as potential starter in HS. 

In a day and age where QBs start training as early as 11-12 going at it alone is really rare, and shows a work ethic and perseverance that will serve him well. People are critical of Stroud because he had no real challenge in college and was surrounded by elite talent - the journey to Columbus was a steep uphill climb that many don't even get past, and yet he did.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Agreed - I've been reading up on Stroud and his rise to prominence: He wasn't one of these kids who was found early by a private QB coach, he didn't have the money or clout to get invited to the Nike QB camps as a kid, he studied QBs on YouTube and emulated their mechanics and form, etc. He really grew his awareness and ability on his own, he didn't get the next level tutoring until he started getting press as potential starter in HS. 

In a day and age where QBs start training as early as 11-12 going at it alone is really rare, and shows a work ethic and perseverance that will serve him well. People are critical of Stroud because he had no real challenge in college and was surrounded by elite talent - the journey to Columbus was a steep uphill climb that many don't even get past, and yet he did.

DraftKings on Twitter: "Josh Allen got that dog in him  https://t.co/dKRymiLfda" / Twitter

Got that dog in him

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, ET80 said:

I think I was pretty consistent that he was my QB1 the entire draft process. I think dude has a chance to be really good for us. I really believe he was a defensive stop away from winning the national championship and being the unanimous number 1 pick. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...