Draft Discussion Day 2

Sllim Pickens

8 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

340 pound DT who can only put up 20 reps on the bench? 🤔 

If I remember correctly he his arm length came in at 35".  20 reps might still be a little low but not as much as you might think.  He played at Western Kentucky so his program didn't have the resources of a school like Alabama to devote to training facilities and other things.  This pick was kind of surprising but the Lions might have something with him.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

If I remember correctly he his arm length came in at 35".  20 reps might still be a little low but not as much as you might think.  He played at Western Kentucky so his program didn't have the resources of a school like Alabama to devote to training facilities and other things.  This pick was kind of surprising but the Lions might have something with him.

He spent two years at North Alabama and then two years at Western Kentucky. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

He spent two years at North Alabama and then two years at Western Kentucky. 

Neither one of those schools has the type of program that would bring out the most in his physical potential.  That isn't a knock against the school it is consequence of playing at a small school.  An NFL strength and conditioning program could really unlock his undeveloped talent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Neither one of those schools has the type of program that would bring out the most in his physical potential.  That isn't a knock against the school it is consequence of playing at a small school.  An NFL strength and conditioning program could really unlock his undeveloped talent.

Agreed - that's what I was pointing out. He hasn't been at a high end program for the past 4 years (as opposed to a kid that was at Alabama and then maybe transfers to a Western Kentucky type of school). 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Agreed - that's what I was pointing out. He hasn't been at a high end program for the past 4 years (as opposed to a kid that was at Alabama and then maybe transfers to a Western Kentucky type of school). 

With all of that being said, it doesn't seem unrealistic for him to be a #3DT in a rotation with McNeil and Buggs.  Benito Jones still seems like a #4DT  to me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Alim went to a “bigger “ school and look how much better he looks this offseason than when he was drafted. Im hoping he takes Martin under his wing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

With all of that being said, it doesn't seem unrealistic for him to be a #3DT in a rotation with McNeil and Buggs.  Benito Jones still seems like a #4DT  to me.

Agreed. Levi probably gets a shot and they must be optimistic on him. 

They've said explicitly that Buggs played more than they would've liked. Jones did enough to bring him back.