Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Some people just want the quick exciting fix to make 2018 interesting.

Hell, I found this past season interesting...mainly because I was expecting nothing and saw some light at the end of the tunnel. Even with a 38-year-old QB!

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

I think you are going to have to seriously check your math with that. 100 million in cap space....25-30 to Cousins....we can ABSOLUTELY get a supporting cast.

Great, so we are going back to trying to buy our way to respectability. That never worked under Rex Ryan, it didn't work with Marshall, Decker et al. It wouldn't work this time.

We need to stay the course and keep drafting and developing our young talent. 

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Flacco was absolutely on fire during that playoff stretch and was a key reason they won. That’s why he got paid. But Cousins has one playoff loss. I don’t think any of us would care how much we pay Cousins coming off a SuperBowl victory.

He's a game manager with a ring.. They had a strong run game which allowed Flacco to throw bombs (to Torey Smith and Jacoby Jones) and dominant D. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve pointed back to this several times. With tat logic NO signing Brees was dumb.

I can't really get behind your QB analysis because first you push for Hackenberg to play, and now you are comparing an all-time great in Brees to Cousins.

New Orleans signing Brees was clearly not dumb. Us signing Cousins is.

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Please elaborate this analogy.

Drew Brees in SD started, actually even got benched in favor of Doug Flutie non the less for a time period. Finally got his starting job back and played well (much like Cousins). He led SD to only 1 playoff game in which they lost in his whole career there. Once SD decided to move on to Rivers, Brees hit FA and signed with NO. Only big difference I see was that Brees was just 1 or 2 years younger than Cousins is now when he hit FA.

I’m not saying Cousins is Brees. Im saying that the whole he couldn’t get to the playoffs, beat good teams argument is BS. We are a whole other system, roster, conference, division, etc than Washington. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Its not about a quick fix, its about having one of the most unique situations in terms of available money and a FA QB of his caliber being available at the same time. This isnt Fitz or McCown. At 29 Kirk is in his prime and has been top 10 in every major passing category since becoming a starter. It secures up the position for at least 4 years. If we werent drafting at 6 then maybe it would be different. We needed the higher pick realistically. 

What’s your take on Kirks W-L record? I honestly don’t care about his passing stats, look at Blake Bortles for crying out loud. He sucks and his stats are misleading.

was it really the Redskins inability to surround him with talent? And with that kind of cap hit will we be able to consistently surround him with better talent for the next 4 years?

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I can't really get behind your QB analysis because first you push for Hackenberg to play, and now you are comparing an all-time great in Brees to Cousins.

New Orleans signing Brees was clearly not dumb. Us signing Cousins is.

And you want Mayfield.

19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Think he means 140-175 total...atleast I hope

21 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

What? Kirk Cousins isn't getting 140-175 guaranteed money. Where did you read this?

I used question mark because of contractual trap.   Whatever gtd upon signing or signing bonus is present, it is very good chance to have 3 or 4 years in the book depending on who. With base salaries, the total of that span should be maxing out the total of GTD.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Drew Brees in SD started, actually even got benched in favor of Doug Flutie non the less for a time period. Finally got his starting job back and played well (much like Cousins). He led SD to only 1 playoff game in which they lost in his whole career there. Once SD decided to move on to Rivers, Brees hit FA and signed with NO. Only big difference I see was that Brees was just 1 or 2 years younger than Cousins is now when he hit FA.

I’m not saying Cousins is Brees. Im saying that the whole he couldn’t get to the playoffs, beat good teams argument is BS. We are a whole other system, roster, conference, division, etc than Washington. 

Dude come on. He couldn’t make the playoffs in Washington in a great system he already liked, so yeah coming to the AFCE and teaming with Todd Bowles to take on Brady and Belichick he’s going to start doing it now?

Your Brees argument is a stawman you know it

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

What’s your take on Kirks W-L record? I honestly don’t care about his passing stats, look at Blake Bortles for crying out loud. He sucks and his stats are misleading.

was it really the Redskins inability to surround him with talent? And with that kind of cap hit will we be able to consistently surround him with better talent for the next 4 years?

Cousins W-L isnt impressive...no question but Bortles is a bad analogy. He goes 3-13 and throws for big numbers in garbage time. we could point to Rivers too. Guy is a stud...chargers always underachieve. Bortles is nowhere near the QB though. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

Cousins W-L isnt impressive...no question but Bortles is a bad analogy. He goes 3-13 and throws for big numbers in garbage time. we could point to Rivers too. Guy is a stud...chargers always underachieve. Bortles is nowhere near the QB though. 

My friend compared Cousins stats directly to Blake Bortles and he’s a skins fan..  just going off what he said.

But do you really think making Cousins the highest paid player in league history is a good move given that awful W-L and taking into account this team still has a ton of holes? I don’t. We aren’t getting Cousins and taking the division.

This “rebuild” is supposed to be calculated and bring “sustained success” and giving Cousins a 200M contract is not conducive to that.

Bottom line is Cousins will give Jets 4 or 5 years in row as a starting qb. That is better than the combination of Smith, Fitzpatrick and McCown.  Jets simply can't ignore the possibility of that kind of success in durability for draft when you have a ton of cap room to burn.  If Cousins picked other team and qb veteran options had thinned out then they would pursue draftee for qb resolution.

QB stability is the foremost plan for Jets. End of discussion.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

My friend compared Cousins stats directly to Blake Bortles and he’s a skins fan..  just going off what he said.

But do you really think making Cousins the highest paid player in league history is a good move given that awful W-L and taking into account this team still has a ton of holes? I don’t. We aren’t getting Cousins and taking the division.

This “rebuild” is supposed to be calculated and bring “sustained success” and giving Cousins a 200M contract is not conducive to that.

Actually signing Cousins allows us to fill more holes. Bc we’d still have a good amount of cap space and draft picks to hit other areas like C, OG, CB, Edge, RB and WR. We don’t get Cousins and draft a QB we automatically lose Thad 6th pick to add talent at 1 of those needs. If we have to trade up we also lose 37. Which means we lose 2 good spots to hit needs at 6 and 37. Like I stated for example this team is a lot better with Cousins, Barkley, OO or Cousins, Chubb, Michel than with just Mayfield. If someone can’t see that... than I can’t help explain it.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

So we are going to attempt to make a top 10ish QB the highest paid player in league history for real. Only the Jets. 

I know everyone in here absolutely loves Cousins for whatever reason, but that’s not a move I’d make.

So we have the chance to end our QB woes for the first time in 60 years and fans are complaining? Only the Jets fans

Archived