Round 4 Pick 111 Dawand Jones

LETSGOBROWNIES

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Thank you for the feedback. So is this your favorite pick? 

Probably. I also really like Ika. I feel like everyone we took was appropriate or +++ value. No insane picks that pissed me off, but nothing that made me cream in my pants. Wypler and Jones were steals, but they were steals at already positions of strength, so it’s kinda whatever, if that makes sense. I am not too excited because I feel like Jones & Wypler aren’t gonna touch the field, even though they were both top 50 talents to me. Ika/McGuire/Tillman will play the most, even though their value wasn’t as high based on grade vs. draft slot, if that makes any sense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Probably. I also really like Ika. I feel like everyone we took was appropriate or +++ value. No insane picks that pissed me off, but nothing that made me cream in my pants. Wypler and Jones were steals, but they were steals at already positions of strength, so it’s kinda whatever, if that makes sense. I am not too excited because I feel like Jones & Wypler aren’t gonna touch the field, even though they were both top 50 talents to me. Ika/McGuire/Tillman will play the most, even though their value wasn’t as high based on grade vs. draft slot, if that makes any sense. 

There wasn’t one head scratcher imo.

Maybe each pick isn’t exactly what we’d have done, but you know why they took the player and the player they took was solid value.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll preface this saying he absolutely needs to get his weight under 350 imo, but if he’s 370-400 in the picture above… whew.  Like, he can obviously lose some bad weight but he’d by no means some fat slob.

Not that any of the 10/20/40 yard times really matter, but his size is incredible. I'd wager good money is agility testing is absolutely meme-worthy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not that any of the 10/20/40 yard times really matter, but his size is incredible. I'd wager good money is agility testing is absolutely meme-worthy.

The arm length lol.  He makes huge dudes look small.

The Orlando Brown Jr comp is absolutely there.  Maybe not a terrific athlete, but he’s actually good at football and actually moves well enough on the football field.  Definitely not an underwear Olympics guy though.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The arm length lol.  He makes huge dudes look small.

The Orlando Brown Jr comp is absolutely there.  Maybe not a terrific athlete, but he’s actually good at football and actually moves well enough on the football field.  Definitely not an underwear Olympics guy though.

While I'm good with the pick and value, and while his hands, arms, strength and run blocking are undeniable, to go with some impressive pass pro this past season against some talented dudes, he can be a bit grabby. Hopefully he's your eventual Conklin replacement type guy...we are going to need some of these dudes to pan out and be legit for cap reasons here soon to have some talented guys we can afford to release for cap casualty reasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

While I'm good with the pick and value, and while his hands, arms, strength and run blocking are undeniable, to go with some impressive pass pro this past season against some talented dudes, he can be a bit grabby. Hopefully he's your eventual Conklin replacement type guy...we are going to need some of these dudes to pan out and be legit for cap reasons here soon to have some talented guys we can afford to release for cap casualty reasons.

I think grabby comes when you’re starting to get beat.

Drop 25 pounds and refine the technique and he’s gonna be a lot harder to beat.  He needs to trust his size and length as long as his weight and technique are good.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Dawand is fleet enough of foot to ever entertain thoughts of making a living on the NBA hardwood.

That being said, for him to be nimble enough at his size to even think about that fantasy is impressive. He has skills and wonderful natural ability. But I see two major roadblocks to a long NFL career.

First - the most obvious - his weight. If that continues to grow unchecked, he will eat himself out of the league in a couple of years. Being able to grow as a player is wholly dependent on him maturing as a man, and being responsible about his weight.

Second - he must grow from previous bad habits. that is what Bill Callahan is for. He cannot get sloppy. He cannot get beat around the corner, and then just reach out and grab his opponent. That ish won't fly in the NFL as much as it did in Columbus.

His immediate path to the field is at right tackle as a road grater. Let's get him trained there. I am still shocked the Browns extended Conklin, but if they can squeeze 1-2 more years out of Jack - Dawand should be ready.

Snagging a potential future starter in R4 with high upside is what the draft is all about. We will never know about Dawand until we see how much respect he gives his career. If he does like we all hope he does - this was a home run pick.

• Like 1

In a nut shell he cannot start in the nfl if he is above 325.

He is going to get challenged right out of the block.

With Cincinnati de

Pittsburgh with Watt 

And Baltimore with Ojabo 

Conklin will get injured so he will have to start and play against those guys.

3 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Yup Orlando Brown is listed at 340

I think @MWil23 might be right about Jones being a LT one day.

I think we’re trying to get massive on the offensive line just like we’re massive at every other position.

Kind of reminds me of how John Gruden built his raider teams or Jimmy Johnson and his Cowboy teams were.

• Like 1