2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

FWIW those “disappointing” reports were also in the context of him being a starter getting 90% of the reps. Expecting he may be able to fill a role as a WR4 isn’t a stretch with insurance on those reps provided by Cohen, Burton and any drafted WR. He’s as set up to “succeed” in at least some capacity as he’s ever been since arriving right now. He’s basically what they were expecting from Markus Wheaton last year right now. 

I agree 100% with you that if not for the $ he’s probably not on the roster right now, but the money is there and he is on the roster, and if he’s going to be on the roster they’re going to be asking something of him. It certainly won’t be on coverage teams. 

The problem is that the 4th WR plays. I cannot remember a season where the 4th WR does not play.

If White is #4 we might as well skip him over him and play Bellamy because he will get hurt.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on him for anything is stupid.

He is not good. The entire camp last season was nothing but disappointing Kevin White reports. Jahns and Hoge talk about it on their 2nd to last podcast how mediocre to bad he looked in camp and the preseason.

His route running did not improve because on IR he cannot practice. Nagy can fain optimism all he wants, but he is a lotto ticket, you cannot count on it to pay the bills.

You think maybe that had to do with the fact that he was coming off a completely fractured ankle and wasn't yet 100%?  Hmm maybe just maybe....o.O

Nobody here is saying they are relying on White to be anything in 2018, but rather he will have one last chance to prove himself.  Low expectations.

Edited by topwop1

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You think maybe that had to do with the fact that he was coming off a completely fractured ankle and wasn't yet 100%?  Hmm maybe just maybe....o.O

Nobody here is saying they are relying on White to be anything in 2018, but rather he will have one last chance to prove himself.  Low expectations.

Filling the #4 WR role is not low expectations. That is expecting him to play, possibly for an extended period.

The longer the whole Meredith thing is going on the more I can see us letting him walk and trying to find another Gabriel type of deep threat in the draft...maybe even an UDFA like Jeff Badet or Jonah Trinnaman...I would like either in camp even if we do keep Meredith.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

The longer the whole Meredith thing is going on the more I can see us letting him walk and trying to find another Gabriel type of deep threat in the draft...maybe even an UDFA like Jeff Badet or Jonah Trinnaman...I would like either in camp even if we do keep Meredith.

We would nee more of an investment than an UDFA.

Meredith is in the Bears top 3 WRs and they would need to address the spot with someone who is capable of filling that role week 1.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Filling the #4 WR role is not low expectations. That is expecting him to play, possibly for an extended period.

I may be in the minority with this opinion, but expecting Meredith to bounce back in 2018 off a torn ACL and play for an extended period of time is no different than expecting White to come back off his shoulder injury and finally play for an extended period of time in this offense. 

I get that Meredith is more proven up to this point in their respective NFL careers, but that's only because White has had horrible injury luck, and not necessarily because of a difference in skill/ability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that the 4th WR plays. I cannot remember a season where the 4th WR does not play.

The 4th WR for KC had 16 targets and 14 receptions.

The 4th WR for PHI had 22 targets and 16 receptions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We would nee more of an investment than an UDFA.

Meredith is in the Bears top 3 WRs and they would need to address the spot with someone who is capable of filling that role week 1.

Robinson, Burton, Gabriel, Shaheen & Cohen all get more targets than the #3 or #4 WR on this team so I am not sure they will unless we can move down and bring in more picks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I may be in the minority with this opinion, but expecting Meredith to bounce back in 2018 off a torn ACL and play for an extended period of time is no different than expecting White to come back off his shoulder injury and finally play for an extended period of time in this offense. 

I get that Meredith is more proven up to this point in their respective NFL careers, but that's only because White has had horrible injury luck, and not necessarily because of a difference in skill/ability.

Times on IR

Cam Meredith: 1

Kevin White: 3

One is a trend. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Robinson, Burton, Gabriel, Shaheen & Cohen all get more targets than the #3 or #4 WR on this team so I am not sure they will unless we can move down and bring in more picks.

The #3 WR gets enough targets in the offense that you cannot have a total stiff playing the position.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The #3 WR gets enough targets in the offense that you cannot have a total stiff playing the position.

No one is saying you can but you have to pick your battles and I would far rather take a risk at a #3 WR than someone to keep Trubisky upright or a defensive playmaker.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm going off what you said, that WR4 plays.

They do play because someone in the WR core gets hurt.

Can you remember the last season where we did not have the #4 WR playing significant snaps because of injury?

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No one is saying you can but you have to pick your battles and I would far rather take a risk at a #3 WR than someone to keep Trubisky upright or a defensive playmaker.

I agree. That is why I think not matching Meredith would be idiotic. Why create another need.