2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

Imagine thinking jimmygoat was gonna be good for us....lol.  

Better career win % than Derek Carr

Imagine watching the mid off we had at QB last year and thinking a mid-off was the answer again.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I just think RT at #13 when you have no QB and no #1 CB is bad value. You can find a quality RT late in the draft, your odds on hitting on an elite CB or QB late are slim to none.

I think theyre two separate issues. 

The reality is if you want JJ McCarthy you're going to have to trade up and I don't think he's worth losing draft picks for. Nix(even though I wouldn't want him personally) Will be picked by the Broncos at the very least before us. That leaves Penix. I would take Penix at 13 but if you draft Penix(wherever you draft him) you better protect him. But I would also take an RT at 13. My take on it is the best case scenario for the early part of the draft is to somehow figure out a way to get an RT and get Penix however they do that. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think theyre two separate issues. 

The reality is if you want JJ McCarthy you're going to have to trade up and I don't think he's worth losing draft picks for. Nix(even though I wouldn't want him personally) Will be picked by the Broncos at the very least before us. That leaves Penix. I would take Penix at 13 but if you draft Penix(wherever you draft him) you better protect him. But I would also take an RT at 13. My take on it is the best case scenario for the early part of the draft is to somehow figure out a way to get an RT and get Penix however they do that. 

I don't think the cost to move up for McCarthy would be crazy.

58 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Wilkins by himself makes it not a failure.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m hyped about Wilkins and am not casting judgement on an opinion before the offseason plays out. I just will be very concerned if we go into the season with a late round rookie QB battling AOC and Minshew. 

Edited by FloydFan
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Better career win % than Derek Carr

Imagine watching the mid off we had at QB last year and thinking a mid-off was the answer again.

Flippin lame when comparing teams, haven't mentioned Carr since he left, and I'm already on record sayin I want any of the top 6 qbs as long as it's not a reach. Dude, you dish out trolling comments and talk super smack to other posters.....but when people bust your chops.....yeah, nuff said son. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

Flippin lame when comparing teams, haven't mentioned Carr since he left, and I'm already on record sayin I want any of the top 6 qbs as long as it's not a reach. Dude, you dish out trolling comments and talk super smack to other posters.....but when people bust your chops.....yeah, nuff said son. 

I'm cool with any of the top 6 QB. Minshew/Fields just don't do it for me and point to the new regime being unserious abou competing. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think the cost to move up for McCarthy would be crazy.

It'll cost us a good amount to move anywhere between 5 to 7. And then another thing that I think about is that if the chargers(who have a coach that coached McCarthy his entire college career) is willing to trade their pick so that we can get him, in and of itself makes me nervous.

Quite frankly he didn't show enough in college to warrant giving up draft capital to go get him. It would basically just be one of those desperation we need a quarterback moves. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Is a 2x MVP QB not an MVP caliber player?

Cool story bro. Now care to define prospect like I asked, instead of jumping around fron topic to topic like a spastic squirrel cracked out on some pure brown brown? 

The answer, obviously, is no. You really missed out on a few lessons from Nancy Reagan. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I was going to say something to this effect, because teams are not going to be passing on big time pass rushers and OL to reach for QB's just because they seem desperate.

Teams have become increasingly cautious about taking quarterbacks in the first round. As fans, it's easy to want to be aggressive and pick QBs, discard them, and pick them some more. Coaches and GMs don't have that luxury. I've written this before, but even Bill Belichick could not survive one QB mistake. For a QB to get overdrafted, there has to be a perfect storm of circumstances, which includes a weak QB draft. This is a strong QB draft, so I expect McCarthy, Nix, and Penix to go later than expected (in that order).

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Lock Ridder and Connor cook we're not considered first rounders. Levis was supposed to go high but then questions about his character came out right before the draft. The year Geno Smith was picked no one was considered a first round quarterback. I can't remember honestly where DeSean Kaiser was supposed to go supposedly. rogers wore flip-flops and scared the other GM's off because I thought you didn't care enough about football. I think Lamar Jackson because at the time a player with his skills that was unprecedented(remember he wasnt a passer back then)

^Now with that being, said don't get me wrong: Overall I'm not one of those guys no does the whole what does the "consensus" think. The reality is we don't have a Long term quarterback option. There's a guy that I think could be that long-term option at quarterback I'm not going to look at mock drafts and what I hear that other teams think to set my draft board. I'm gonna get that guy. This is the quarterback position we're talking about. 

^Now that said, the only thing that would really deter me personally is the fact that this is one of those years that if you need a tackle you better go get one. The most ideal scenario in my opinion would be to somehow find a way to get Penix and one of those high-end OT. 

Ridder and Cook were expected to go earlier than when they went. You're just making up a lot of post hoc justifications for why the QBs I listed went lower than expected.

I will refer to the post above why it's easy for fans to want to just a pick a QB.

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

Teams have become increasingly cautious about taking quarterbacks in the first round. As fans, it's easy to want to be aggressive and pick QBs, discard them, and pick them some more. Coaches and GMs don't have that luxury. I've written this before, but even Bill Belichick could not survive one QB mistake. For a QB to get overdrafted, there has to be a perfect storm of circumstances, which includes a weak QB draft. This is a strong QB draft, so I expect McCarthy, Nix, and Penix to go later than expected (in that order).

Ridder and Cook were expected to go earlier than when they went. You're just making up a lot of post hoc justifications for why the QBs I listed went lower than expected.

I will refer to the post above why it's easy for fans to want to just a pick a QB.

Completely agree about the whole fans versus GM's thing which is why I don't think we should trade up. But I also don't think we should just assume that players are going to fall to the second round either. The thing that's worse than overdrafting is trading up for picks(which is why I don't wanna do that).

My take on it is that the whole reason why Penix is supposed to be a reach in the first is supposed to be because he has injury concerns but he hasn't had any problems for the last two years in a row since he went to Washington. What makes Washington different is the fact that they probably protect him and have more talent around him so that he can get the ball out quick where other than holding it and trying to make plays that like he was trying to do in Indiana. I think our weapons are very comparable to what he had at Washington. We would just have to protect him which is why I think the best case scenario would be to get an RT and figure out a way to still get him. 

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Desmond Ridder

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/desmond-ridder/32005249-4408-0474-6bc7-b6ac95881989

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033595-desmond-ridder-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-atlanta-falcons-qb

Both of these project him to go late 1st-2nd which is pretty fluid and relative. That's not making anything up.

Drew lock

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-lock/32004c4f-4337-4482-904c-a47f8df1d41b

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823981-drew-lock-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-denver-broncos-pick

One said that he would be a first round pick another said he would be a second round pick

Overall when you look at these you can see that really the entire thing is fluid and no one really knows how high or low someone's going to go. When you need a quarterback you don't play around with the position and see who falls where you go and take one that you think has the ability to be your franchise quarterback. You don't look at someone and say this person can be the franchise person but then try to see if they'll fall to you. It's the most important position in football we're talking about. At the same time you don't take someone that's not that good higher than they should go. In panic case he would be considered a top 10 draft pick if there weren't a whole questions about his health(which remember he's been playing for two years straight and hasn't missed a game)

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Desmond Ridder

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/desmond-ridder/32005249-4408-0474-6bc7-b6ac95881989

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033595-desmond-ridder-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-atlanta-falcons-qb

Both of these project him to go late 1st-2nd which is pretty fluid and relative. That's not making anything up.

Drew lock

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-lock/32004c4f-4337-4482-904c-a47f8df1d41b

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823981-drew-lock-nfl-draft-2019-scouting-report-for-denver-broncos-pick

One said that he would be a first round pick another said he would be a second round pick

Overall when you look at these you can see that really the entire thing is fluid and no one really knows how high or low someone's going to go. When you need a quarterback you don't play around with the position and see who falls where you go and take one that you think has the ability to be your franchise quarterback. You don't look at someone and say this person can be the franchise person but then try to see if they'll fall to you. It's the most important position in football we're talking about. At the same time you don't take someone that's not that good higher than they should go. In panic case he would be considered a top 10 draft pick if there weren't a whole questions about his health(which remember he's been playing for two years straight and hasn't missed a game)

Didn’t Lock go in the second round? Ridder was never going in the first

34 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Cool story bro. Now care to define prospect like I asked, instead of jumping around fron topic to topic like a spastic squirrel cracked out on some pure brown brown? 

The answer, obviously, is no. You really missed out on a few lessons from Nancy Reagan. 

Prospect: a person regarded as likely to succeed or as a potential customer, client, etc.

43 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It'll cost us a good amount to move anywhere between 5 to 7. And then another thing that I think about is that if the chargers(who have a coach that coached McCarthy his entire college career) is willing to trade their pick so that we can get him, in and of itself makes me nervous.

Quite frankly he didn't show enough in college to warrant giving up draft capital to go get him. It would basically just be one of those desperation we need a quarterback moves. 

If you put McCarthy in a wide open spread offense, surrounded by NFL pass catchers, 3 years from now what do you think would be the result?

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm cool with any of the top 6 QB. Minshew/Fields just don't do it for me and point to the new regime being unserious abou competing. 

I agree with the first sentence, not too interested in fields. I think minshew can be serviceable worst case (obviously I like him somewhat and hope he's better than that.lol) disagree with the last, let's put it this way. If they JUST used some of the money rt now to resign gvr,butler, Jenkins and maybe a cb or rb. Then draft 1 of the qbs. I'd say they were completely serious. It's day 2 of FA.  Still plenty of time, money and players. To be continued.