2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jer'Zhan Newton (I like him more than the texas guy),

Out of curiosity why is that?  I’m the polar opposite. 

In fact, Newton is one of my least favorite prospects this year. Don’t really understand what about him everyone seems to love.  When I watch him he seems to have a mediocre get off , which is a problem for a smaller DT. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

injurys: he's been healthy for 2 years straight

wr talent: we have wr talent and many QBs had wr talent in college and did well in the nfl(Joe burrow/jalen hurts to name a few)

lack of mobility: this is the only real legit concern imo

He has had four season ending injuries including tearing the same ACL twice and two major shoulder injuries. 

Lack of mobility and inability to play with pressure in his face are two major red flags. He also wasn't great throwing over the middle of the field. Guys like Nix and Daniels have higher floors because even if they're not great passing the ball they'll be able to make plays with their legs.

9 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Out of curiosity why is that?  I’m the polar opposite. 

In fact, Newton is one of my least favorite prospects this year. Don’t really understand what about him everyone seems to love.  When I watch him he seems to have a mediocre get off , which is a problem for a smaller DT. 

He's very slippery and violent. He's not huge but profiles very well as an interior rusher and a 3 tech/5 tech. I've even seen him win here and there off the edge.  It's not a heavy need but I'm a big fan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He has had four season ending injuries including tearing the same ACL twice and two major shoulder injuries. 

Lack of mobility and inability to play with pressure in his face are two major red flags. He also wasn't great throwing over the middle of the field. Guys like Nix and Daniels have higher floors because even if they're not great passing the ball they'll be able to make plays with their legs.

He can play with pressure in his face he just not mobile there's a difference 

like I mentioned before, when you've played for two years straight without any injury problems, and your medicals come back good at the combine, it's fair to say that the injuries are behind you, regardless of how many you had prior.

It also important to note that of the injuries that he had two of them were ACL tears which are in the freak injury category they're not soft tissue injuries that can be degenerative. 

I personally didn't see any issues with him, throwing over the middle of the field at all. 

It's nice to have a mobile quarterback. but my thing is they have to be able to spin it. Daniel's can spin it. I'm not picking Nix at 13 to find out if he can play outside of a gimmick that emphasizes screens. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

He can play with pressure in his face he just not mobile there's a difference 

Penix

Kept clean: 305/415 (73.5%) | 3,834 yards | 30 TD | 6 INT

Pressured: 59/141 (41.8%) | 1,072 yards | 6 TD | 5 INT

Kept clean: 321/444 (72.3%) | 3,944 yards | 25 TD | 6 INT

Pressured: 41/114 (36%) | 697 yards | 6 TD | 2 INT

Edited by NYRaider

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

It also important to note that of the injuries that he had two of them were ACL tears which are in the freak injury category they're not soft tissue injuries that can be degenerative.  

He has already torn the same ACL twice and he's not mobile. What happens if he tears it a third time?

If Telesco reaches for a QB at #13 then I think it’s safe to say he’s been instructed to from Mark.

He generally seems to make sensible early picks. Drafting a 2nd-round caliber QB in the middle of the 1st just isn’t his M.O.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Penix

Kept clean: 305/415 (73.5%) | 3,834 yards | 30 TD | 6 INT

Pressured: 59/141 (41.8%) | 1,072 yards | 6 TD | 5 INT

Kept clean: 321/444 (72.3%) | 3,944 yards | 25 TD | 6 INT

Pressured: 41/114 (36%) | 697 yards | 6 TD | 2 INT

1. What are Bo Nix numbers in those categories

2. Those are ridiculous numbers for when a quarterback is kept clean. That is worth investing in. Give a guy like that a line and in this offense with the weapons that it has could be deadly

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He has already torn the same ACL twice and he's not mobile. What happens if he tears it a third time?

I mean anyone can tear their ACL at any time. What does any of the quarterback prospects tear their ACL. It's just as possible. 

25 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

1. What are Bo Nix numbers in those categories

2. Those are ridiculous numbers for when a quarterback is kept clean. That is worth investing in. Give a guy like that a line and in this offense with the weapons that it has could be deadly

To be fair, that has absolutely no relevance in the discussion.

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

To be fair, that has absolutely no relevance in the discussion.

Why not? If he's being compared to Bo Nix, I would like to see his numbers in comparison with Bo Nix's numbers. One follows the other

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Why not? If he's being compared to Bo Nix, I would like to see his numbers in comparison with Bo Nix's numbers. One follows the other

I didn't see Nix brought up in the conversation, just Penix's numbers. Just seems like a deflection to me. As I've already stated, I don't care for either of those two at 13. Not at all. In the second where the next 3 QBs that aren't the big 3 belongs? Sure. 

18 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I didn't see Nix brought up in the conversation, just Penix's numbers. Just seems like a deflection to me. As I've already stated, I don't care for either of those two at 13. Not at all. In the second where the next 3 QBs that aren't the big 3 belongs? Sure. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

13 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

But he just used their escapability as an example of why they have higher floors. I don't really see any direct comparisons but maybe you're just interpreting differently than me

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

But he just used their escapability as an example of why they have higher floors. I don't really see any direct comparisons but maybe you're just interpreting differently than me

I'm just trying to figure out if one is better under pressure than the other regardless of mobility. 

• Like 1