2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

So when do you start drafting their replacements?

Watson and Doubs are free agents after 2025.  If you want an early jump on that, perhaps next draft.  But for this draft, you are looking at tremendously diminishing returns with any WR taken.  If they aren't at least better than Bo Melton, they probably aren't even making the roster.  We also still have a 22 year old Grant Dubose hiding at the end of our depth chart.

I haven't scoured for clips of pass protection, or full games with loss of yardage and drops and stuff, but I don't hate this RB class at all.  So what if there isn't an Adrian Peterson? The Packers haven't picked a RB in the first round since 1990.  There are plenty of backs with some tools that we could really use.  

I think my favorite so far is Bucky Irving out of Oregon.  He has to work on his pass protection, but so did Aaron Jones.  Right now he seems to be projected from the end of the second to the beginning of the fourth.  

We already did the Braelon Allen dance.  I like him too.  I think MarShawn Lloyd looks fast.  I also was very entertained watching Jaylen Wright.  

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

i'll be pretty pissed if we draft a WR high. especially with how this secondary looks at the moment

We do have 5 top 100 picks.  That could get you a corner, two safeties, whatever else, AND a WR.  Not that I am advocating it, but it is possible that we are sitting at pick 58 and there is poor value at our needs and Xavier Legette is just sitting there.  You have to take what the board gives you.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We do have 5 top 100 picks.  That could get you a corner, two safeties, whatever else, AND a WR.  Not that I am advocating it, but it is possible that we are sitting at pick 58 and there is poor value at our needs and Xavier Legette is just sitting there.  You have to take what the board gives you.  

i don't like the idea of another young WR coming in and possibly taking snaps from our current young WRs

i'd rather just let this current group keep developing. make or break year for Watson imo, needs to stay healthy. maybe Jayden Reed can take a step forward and become an alpha WR1. i'm of the opinion none of these guys are alpha WRs but the "everybody eats" style of this offense was cooking and i don't want to mess with that

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

outside CB, slot CB, S, RB, ILB, OL gives six different position choices over 5 top 100 picks.....and each of those positions could benefit from an extra guy.

How many choices there are that make sense to Gute at each pick, is another question entirely. I can almost always find a combination that fits the needs when I do a mock, but then I am more influenced by the players consensus value than Gute is likely to be - and I have far less information on each player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I haven't scoured for clips of pass protection, or full games with loss of yardage and drops and stuff, but I don't hate this RB class at all.  So what if there isn't an Adrian Peterson? The Packers haven't picked a RB in the first round since 1990.  There are plenty of backs with some tools that we could really use.  

I think my favorite so far is Bucky Irving out of Oregon.  He has to work on his pass protection, but so did Aaron Jones.  Right now he seems to be projected from the end of the second to the beginning of the fourth.  

We already did the Braelon Allen dance.  I like him too.  I think MarShawn Lloyd looks fast.  I also was very entertained watching Jaylen Wright.  

I haven't really looked deep on anyone. Usually the combine triggers my draft interest but at RB as of now I am liking Ray Davis, Frank Gore, and Audric Estime (I think he can be the AJD replacement but with better feet). Davis may be my favorite though. 

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Let's say at 58, Gute has the choice of Legette or taking the first RB off the board.  Which way does he go?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Don't think there's a RB in this draft worth a 1st round pick. Not even sure about 2nd round. An OL who might have a 1st round grade with 5 position flexibility is Graham Barton of Duke. Started his career at C before moving to LT. Could challenge Myers at C, move into RG, or become swing tackle as a rookie. 

I'm a Barton fan. I love the position flexibility. But I think he could be a real solid guard if he focuses there. 

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Let's say at 58, Gute has the choice of Legette or taking the first RB off the board.  Which way does he go?

Personally, I'd go RB, as I don't think WR Legette is so much better a WR, than your choice of top RB is at RB.

If the Packers were a little bit weaker at WR, I could see the attraction. WR Legette probably ranks higher than the top RB on most neutral's boards, but the value may not be as high on the Packers board, given their roster.

I will also admit that I (along with many others) tend to do drafts that fill 'holes' rather than taking BPA, which in practical terms means I usually ignore Jerzhan Newton in my mocks at 25, though he is very often the highest ranked player available to take.

13 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

No doubt. However, if by chance in time they determine Watson's hamstring issues prove chronic, then in actuality we are talking about a potential WR #4 or higher. As I said, I fully realize a defense stretching, safety drawing go route guy is not the greatest need, and maybe just an ideal 'want' than realistic need, but for the offense to run "optimally", you do want a WR who can threaten the deep third. Just saying it is not beyond crazy were they to take one. Do I think they will? Nope. Doubt it. But if they did, there would be logic to it, i.e., they're unsure about Watson's reliability long-term.

take the best RB in this class, best way to help this offense, at our late round draft slots there wont be a receiver that can help as much as the RB

Edited by turf toe

2 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I haven't really looked deep on anyone. Usually the combine triggers my draft interest but at RB as of now I am liking Ray Davis, Frank Gore, and Audric Estime (I think he can be the AJD replacement but with better feet). Davis may be my favorite though. 

I also like Ray Davis.  The knock on him, for me, is that he is a 5th year senior and already 24 years old, which means that he will be about the same age as Aaron Jones is at the end of his second contract at the end of his first.  Or If you get 4 years of Braelon Allen, Allen will still be younger than Davis is at the time of the draft.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

outside CB, slot CB, S, RB, ILB, OL gives six different position choices over 5 top 100 picks.....and each of those positions could benefit from an extra guy.

How many choices there are that make sense to Gute at each pick, is another question entirely. I can almost always find a combination that fits the needs when I do a mock, but then I am more influenced by the players consensus value than Gute is likely to be - and I have far less information on each player.

We need another EDGE rusher. Enagbare is going to be out at least half the year. Preston isn't getting any younger and is at that age you expect a decline. Cox wasn't active for a single game so not sure what you can count on from him. We have Gary and LVN as folks we should be able to count on as + player at the position. Yes, I'm accounting for a big second year jump from LVN. 

It is not a position flush with talent. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You taking snaps from Watson? Doubs? Reed? Wicks?

Just one football. We have no use for another WR early.

I doubt our front office is sold on Watson staying healthy or Doubs being more than James Jones. Reed is the slot guy. Wicks has earned a chance to compete for a starting spot, but hasn't proven anything beyond that. So none of the players you mentioned should make our front office hesitate if the value is there for an outside receiver. Just last year we were all talking about how Toure will shine when given an opportunity.

To be clear, I'm not saying I WANT an early wr...I'm saying that this front office (dating back to TT) has proven they consistently use day two picks on pass catchers. And this is an extremely deep class where they might see a guy fall because of the volume of talented receivers.

I ate crow after complaining about drafting James Jones, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb when we didn't need a WR. So, while I also would rather we went defense and o-line with our day 2 picks, I'm just mentally preparing everyone for the high probability that we see an early WR.

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We need another EDGE rusher. Enagbare is going to be out at least half the year. Preston isn't getting any younger and is at that age you expect a decline. Cox wasn't active for a single game so not sure what you can count on from him. We have Gary and LVN as folks we should be able to count on as + player at the position. Yes, I'm accounting for a big second year jump from LVN. 

It is not a position flush with talent. 

I'll admit I haven't looked too hard at this year's edge class, but it's definitely an area I could see us adding to early. I'm all for this.