2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Ross Uglem -  YouTube commenter opines that Gutekunst "struggles to draft RB" in the comments.

He's drafted a RB in the 6th Round (Dexter Williams), 2nd Round (AJ Dillon), 7th Round (Kylin Hill) and 7th Round (Lew Nicholls). Not exactly investing premium assets into the position to say he struggles at it. The one guy he took with a premium pick is someone that didn't bust. He didn't ascend to Derrick Henry status like his RAS suggested but he's been a professional RB through and through. 

It's like saying he can't draft safeties because he's used a 1st (Savage - serviceable NFL safety), a 7th (Vernon Scott), a 7th (Tariq Carpenter) and a 7th (Anthony Johnson Jr). 

• Like 1

PFF updated its big board. Some rankings of note: 

#5 - Bowers
#7 - DeJean
#9 - Wiggins
#13 - Mitchell
#14 - Arnold
#17 - Powers-Johnson
#25 - McConkey
#29 - Rakestraw
#32 - Nubin
#33 - Payton Wilson
#45 - Darius Robinson
#51 - Edgerrin Cooper
#66 - Trice
#80 - Kinchens
#90 - Sweat

36 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Picture DeJean as your FS. 

Also this clip is awesome because notice who wrecks the QB and forces the throw...

Would have loved him except he broke his tib and has ligament damage.... announced today he won't work out at the combine due to his injury. Just don't think we can afford another injured guy on this roster. But before that injury, I would have run the card up to the podium to grab him. Two cents

9 minutes ago, ReasonablySober said:

PFF updated its big board. Some rankings of note: 

#5 - Bowers
#7 - DeJean
#9 - Wiggins
#13 - Mitchell
#14 - Arnold
#17 - Powers-Johnson
#25 - McConkey
#29 - Rakestraw
#32 - Nubin
#33 - Payton Wilson
#45 - Darius Robinson
#51 - Edgerrin Cooper
#66 - Trice
#80 - Kinchens
#90 - Sweat

That's the lowest I've seen Kinchens rated. His tackling has been questioned, and I've read PFF really downgrades guys for missed tackles.

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I certainly get why people are focusing on the CB group as a likely 1st round target for GB. If the BPA/BVA is a player from that group, that will probably be the pick. However, I think we may be all over-emphasizing the perceived "need" for a boundary CB. 

I think the team is probably a lot higher on Valentine, and even Stokes than a lot of people here. There is a very good argument to make that under Hafley's scheme, Valentine should be an even better fit (coupled with the expected growth from a 2nd year player), and the same can be said about Stokes. This DC switch could very well save his career because Stokes is a press-man CB through and through. The Packers aren't going to give up on the former 1st round pick that easy.

Now you can make the argument that with the injury histories of Alexander and Stokes, a boundary CB in round 1 makes sense, but I don't think it's as simple as "we need to draft a CB because we need a starter opposite 23." I think the Packers already believe that guy is No. 37 or 21. 

So, while I could certainly see the Packers go CB in round 1, I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we make it to Day 3 and we haven't taken any CB, other than maybe a true slot guy. 

good post but i was under the impression we were all looking for CBs who can play inside. i think we're set at boundary corner. i still have faith in eric stokes 

valentine played a bit in the slot during camp last season, maybe we take a longer look at him. but i'd be very surprised if we don't come away with a corner who can play inside through the first 2 rounds. the guy i'm keying in on is ennis rakestraw jr, and he may be available at 41 

20 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

That's the lowest I've seen Kinchens rated. His tackling has been questioned, and I've read PFF really downgrades guys for missed tackles.

It's actually his coverage. He didn't keep anyone from completing passes last season.

3 minutes ago, persiandud said:

good post but i was under the impression we were all looking for CBs who can play inside. i think we're set at boundary corner. i still have faith in eric stokes 

valentine played a bit in the slot during camp last season, maybe we take a longer look at him. but i'd be very surprised if we don't come away with a corner who can play inside through the first 2 rounds. the guy i'm keying in on is ennis rakestraw jr, and he may be available at 41 

Yea, if you're looking for a slot guy in the first 2 rounds, it's probably DeJean (if you're not playing him at safety) or Rakestraw. Maybe Jarrian Jones too at pick 58 if he runs well.

Several intriguing slot prospects who were safeties in college too like Tykee and Bullard from Georgia or Beau Brade. 

• Like 1

I think DeJean is gone before 25. he's the perfect pick for us, so that means we all collectively need to give up on the idea of drafting him

Arnold and Mitchell are gone before 25 too 

Rakestraw and McKinstry might be available at 41