The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's amazing to me y'all can still talk about QB at this point...I really am impressed. 

How can anyone go to NFL.com or watch ESPN’s football coverage? The top 5 QB’s make up 90% of their coverage. It’s basically Groundhog Day.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Duluther said:

How can anyone go to NFL.com or watch ESPN’s football coverage? The top 5 QB’s make up 90% of their coverage. It’s basically Groundhog Day.

I don't! I really have no time for talking heads anymore. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

VD tried to get us onto kickers but no one took the bait.

yeah well, you put the kibosh on that right away and pre-shamed anyone who would have wanted to.

I'm trying hard to understand the love for McCarthy. I've watched all the tape from last season, and I see a QB who:

- Has inconsistent accuracy.

- His arm talent is really meh, and will probably be below average at the NFL level.

- Has the complete and utter inability to place the deep ball.

- Cannot consistently read defenses and often takes too long to process.

- Usually dumps the ball off instead of hitting open receivers down field.

His mechanics are pretty good, he is sneaky athletic, and he did show improvement during the season. That last one is pretty important because you want to draft a guy while he's still improving, and not after he's hit his ceiling. But McCarthy is a guy who seems to have "game manager" in his DNA. Michigan certainly had a dominant ground game, but McCarthy regularly passed up opportunities to hit open receivers downfield. That's not the result of the system or the play calling - those players were going deep because that's how the play was designed - and they were getting open. McCarthy checked down because he is a conservative QB. It's tough to coach a naturally conservative player into a more aggressive one, and McCarthy doesn't really have the arm talent to be much more aggressive anyway. The point is that when McCarthy is on the field, the offense is limited.

IMO, this isn't a guy you trade up for in the first round. I don't think that I'd even take him @ #23 if I was making the decision. There is a reason why he was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick early in the process, and I don't see him as a 1st round talent. He seems like a good kid, and I hope he proves me wrong, especially if MN drafts him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

His mechanics are pretty good, he is sneaky athletic, and he did show improvement during the season. That last one is pretty important because you want to draft a guy while he's still improving, and not after he's hit his ceiling

keep in mind HE'S 21 YEARS OLD! the dude has not peaked.

28 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

It's tough to coach a naturally conservative player into a more aggressive one,

Kirk Cousins made that transition, and i'd say it was because he was coached by O'Connell. and then it does help to have receivers like Jefferson, Addison, and Hock.

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Kirk Cousins made that transition, and i'd say it was because he was coached by O'Connell. and then it does help to have receivers like Jefferson, Addison, and Hock.

I agree that Kirk came out of his shell a bit under O'Connell, but Cousins had the arm strength to take advantage (I don't think McCarthy does). But Cousins still checked down too often when he had open receivers downfield, and we still got that 3yd pass on 4th and 8 in a playoff game because that's who Cousins is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

I agree that Kirk came out of his shell a bit under O'Connell, but Cousins had the arm strength to take advantage (I don't think McCarthy does). But Cousins still checked down too often when he had open receivers downfield, and we still got that 3yd pass on 4th and 8 in a playoff game because that's who Cousins is.

McCarthy. Is. Twenty-one. Years. Old. lol

think there's any room for growth?

Just now, vike daddy said:

McCarthy. Is. Twenty-one. Years. Old. lol

think there's any room for growth?

Absolutely. I think I already acknowledged that he seems to still be on an upward trajectory. He seems like a cerebral guy, so he could continue to improve at reading defenses and speed up the process. But how often do QBs dramatically improve their arm talent after being drafted?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

Absolutely. I think I already acknowledged that he seems to still be on an upward trajectory. He seems like a cerebral guy, so he could continue to improve at reading defenses and speed up the process. But how often do QBs dramatically improve their arm talent after being drafted?

does it need to be a dramatic improvement?

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

does it need to be a dramatic improvement?

Not necessarily. But who wants a franchise guy with a limited arm? Why would we want to put all our hopes into a guy who can't already make every throw at the college level?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

But who wants a franchise guy with a limited arm? Why would we want to put all our hopes into a guy who can't already make every throw at the college level?

One could say you might be describing a past 3rd round draft pick out of Georgia. What was his name??  Frank...Fred...Fran something. 

11 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

Kirk Cousins never had a truly strong arm though. Like most QBs, he had enough juice to get the ball where it needed to be.

I think McCarthy is at that same level. He doesn't have an above average that Maye or Williams have.