The 2024 Draft. Tonight's the night...

vike daddy

I agree that it's realistic, I just don't think you can look at the ammo that the Broncos have and suggest that it's anywhere near enough to do so.  And while the Vikings clearly have holes, it's not anywhere near the amount of holes that Denver has, who have shed several significant players and have largely been unable to bring in any free agent help.   

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The only advantage the Broncos have is that they are in the AFC

our two 1st's this year and one next year, would beat out their three of a kind 1st's over three years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The only advantage the Broncos have is that they are in the AFC

It's not much of an advantage when 2 of the 3 teams often discussed are the Patriots and their division foe, the Chargers.  And while I'm sure the Cardinals wouldn't necessarily want to help another team in the NFC, with all the ties their organization has to the Vikings, as well as the state of Minnesota period, they'd probably rather help them than Sean Payton.  🤣

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

What I'm getting to is that Cousins had average arm strength. That's not me being negative either.

In a league that employs roughly 100 QBs on the active roster and/or practice squad every year, you can find that most of them have similar arm strength. Some QBs with average arm strength, like Cousins, were top 10 QBs, and others were certainly nowhere close to being that good.

Cousins has always had above-average arm strength. His rare deep passes look really good, and it's always been an underrated aspect of his game, in part, because he seldom lets it fly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

YES! and this is my major point about McCarthy. in that he is very YOUNG, but has a maturity far beyond his years already. We don't see a hint of egotism in him, and he believes in focusing himself. add to that the great respect he has for learning from quarterback-centric coaches with an NFL background and the equation variables and its solution is obvious.

disclaimer: i don't know nothing about this subject professionally.

Age matters when the NFL prospect is young, but it doesn't when they are old?

This is like the 6th time this has been brought up. How can it not matter that that Nix/Penix are 24 but it's a positive that McCarthy (and Maye) are 21?

The rest of what you're saying is spot on though.

The Vikings already have a great young core on offense. It's a great siuation for a rookie to come in. They will have abundant cap space over the next couple of seasons to build the defense. So, losing all of those picks is somehwat less concerning. 

The Broncos and Vikings are in similar cap situations over the next two years, but the Vikings definitely have a much better offensive support situation than the Broncos. Plus Payton will likely throw the rookie to the fire right away.

So while the Vikings and Broncos could both pick at #4, I think the player's success would be better served in Minnesota.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's not much of an advantage when 2 of the 3 teams often discussed are the Patriots and their division foe, the Chargers.  And while I'm sure the Cardinals wouldn't necessarily want to help another team in the NFC, with all the ties their organization has to the Vikings, as well as the state of Minnesota period, they'd probably rather help them than Sean Payton.  🤣

I was only talking about them trying to get up to 4. The Chargers wouldn't trade with them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The Vikings already have a great young core on offense. It's a great siuation for a rookie to come in. They will have abundant cap space over the next couple of seasons to build the defense. So, losing all of those picks is somehwat less concerning. 

The Broncos and Vikings are in similar cap situations over the next two years, but the Vikings definitely have a much better offensive support situation than the Broncos. Plus Payton will likely throw the rookie to the fire right away.

So while the Vikings and Broncos could both pick at #4, I think the player's success would be better served in Minnesota.

If I'm Maye/Daniels/McCarthy I'd much rather play in Minnesota.

Not just the talent either. You get 9 guaranteed games indoors and you play in a somewhat weaker division too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If I'm Maye/Daniels/McCarthy I'd much rather play in Minnesota.

Not just the talent either. You get 9 guaranteed games indoors and you play in a somewhat weaker division too. 

And your head coach is not an egomaniacal head case. 

• Like 5

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes

If NY Giants were to fall in love with a QB in NFL Draft, John Mara said he would “support” Joe Schoen, Brian Daboll drafting one. Mara says the Giants are “looking” at quarterbacks. He later added he’s been told this is the best QB class in years.

Ben Standig

Sources on Drake Maye varied from a longtime (QB) coach saying, “I like Maye, but when I see the amount of work it will take to have him reach his potential, we’ll be fired first” to a scout’s praise, “he’ll be the best of the group.”

On 3/20/2024 at 6:42 PM, Robb_K said:

I read that Waller retired (filled out retirement papers).  That would indicate that it's likely he'll not play this season.

This seems to indicate that he hasn't yet...

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Wouldn't this throw a wrench into things? 

if it's true, i suppose so.

or could it be WASH really wants to trade down and amass a huge bounty for #2, so they're putting this out to make McCarthy hungry teams ante up?