Grading the draft

NateDawg

Grade  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What say you

• A (give AB a hug and cheek-kiss)
    • B (big high five)
    • C (make eye contact and nod your head)
    • D (eye roll and avoid prolonged eye contact)
    • F (fire AB and kick him in the groin)

To me, there are a number of factors to consider. Lack of an early draft pick, positional needs, coming up with future players who can help after current expiring contract/future cuts, guys who help now, and elite/lack of elite level future potential. 

Edited by NateDawg

They did about as good as you can do without having 1st/2nd Rd picks. Addressed positions of need while also adding depth.

The only thing preventing this from being a A is the fact that they failed to address LB in favor of overloading certain positions with depth. Their 2 fifth round picks is where I thought they could attack LB but went with QB3 and CB5. Whatever, cant have everything but I thought they did well overall.

A solid C.

I don't see how you can give it an A or B considering no 1st or 2nd Round picks. A solid head nod to value and grabbing approximately 5 guys in the consensus Top 100 while adding to the WR corps and DL while loading up the OL and adding major value there warrants some appreciation.

We did get a need based DT and some depth at the EDGE spot, but I don't really "see a starter" with either guy.

We did not add a linebacker or safety, albeit it was a super weak class.

We did get better at the WR spots and have a lot of depth at the CB spot. In a perfect world, new kid from Northwestern can play some type of hybrid/dual role as a S and CB in terms of depth and capability.

If this 5th round UCLA QB ends up being an average level backup, it's a fine pick.

Trading a pick to a division rival is almost always to always a pet peeve of mine and really didn't like that, but we did get "more" in 2024 considering we're lacking picks next year too.

Edited by MWil23

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The thing I do think that’s important to keep in mind though is the QB3 and CB5 are more likely to have an impact on wins and losses over the course of their career than LB3-5 or whatever.

I’d rather have a good backup QB than a good LB if forced to choose.

Yeah, I think there are a number of factors to look at that this draft. There is also an opportunity cost to look at with the Elijah Moore trade. Does he plus Tillman, hopefully boosting the WR spot exceed what would have been there at 42 (Branch, Benton, Tuipolutu, bpa receiver at that point, etc)?  A lot of this we aren’t going to know for a while. If the receivers we got end up being plus-level players then it will work out great. If Elijah Moore ends up being what he was in New York, it’s a different scenario. Pretty clearly though they wanted to see what Watson could do as soon as possible without excuses at WR. 

• Like 1

For me, with the assets we had come draft day, I am probably ok with a B grade. If you were to compare how we got better compared to the rest of the NFL on draft weekend, we are a D or F considering most teams picked 3-4 guys before we made a pick. Everything considered I will give them a C. 

• Like 1

Taking into account Moore as a 2nd round pick, I went with a C. Can't pretend to know what some of these kids are going to do with their careers, but aside from Emmerson and DPJ, AB hasn't hit it out of the park with his picks in the rounds we just selected in, so it's wait and C. On paper/with the irrational optimism and exuberance of a Browns fan, a prior me would have given this a B, but reality has long ago squashed all my hopes and dreams. 

If you judge purely based off of past trends, then Mitchell, Jones, and Wypler are the most likely to develop into something.

Berry has done a good job drafting CBs and Bill Callahan is amazing at developing guys and getting the most out of them.