Post Draft & Pre-Season Thoughts (Post here)

jch1911

Post Draft Thoughts

Loved the first two picks ;) I think we paid a fair price to move back up and I also would have included Texans' pick over Cleveland.

I am ok with Scruggs, but would have leaned Stromberg (but mgmt obviously knows more)

I would have valued Tucker Kraft or Darnell Washington over Dell.  But the Dell pick is really growing on me because if Dell was 3-4" taller & 10 - 15 lbs. heavier (with corresponding arm length & hand size), he would have likely be in 1st round discussion - especially using WR analytics.

Already on record that I would have prepared Adeboware to Horton, but I was definitely Team Horton pre-combine.

I also would have taken any of Cory Trice, Jr., Zack Kuntz, or Andrew Voorhees (thinking strategically) over Jarrett Patterson or Xavier Hutchinson - but that's quibbling. 

Undrafted Free Agents

I would have loved to see the measureables on Ali Gaye, but that's probably why he went undrafted. So Ali Gaye & RB Xazavian Valladay were good gets.

I would have put a hard court press on LB Trevor Nowaske or Ben Van Sumeren, CB Kaleb Hayes, WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton or Matt Landers, and I would have made a huge offer on Edge Andre Carter II.  Fort Bend stand up!

All in all, I give the draft / UDFA a B+.

Pre-Season Roster (projected 53 in bold)

QB Room

Stroud /  Keenum /  Mills /  Perry (PS)

Ain't the worst, but not the greatest.

RB Room 

Bell Cow RB Pierce / Singletary / Valladay (PS) / Doaks

3d back Boone (3d) / Ogunbowale

FB Beck (FB) / Hairston (FB)

I think the battle is on to be the 3rd down back between Boone, Ogunbowale, & Valladay.  I think Beck beats out Hairston because he can play TE & FB (plus ST).

WR Room

X-WR Collins / Brown / Camp / Wayne (PS) / Bachman 

Z-WR Woods / Hutchison / Sims / Estrada / Johnson III

Slot WR Metchie / Dell (KR / PR) / Rodgers / Matthews (PS)

I hope the team acquires a true #1 via trade or waivers (Nuk reunion?).   However, it looks like we are holding on for next year (MHJ).  

TE Room

Y-TE SchultzQuitoriano

F-TE Jordan / Schrek

A young dynamic TE would make me feel better about this group.  With the talent available in this draft at TE, I think the team should have acquired one.

OL Room

OT Tunsil / Howard / Haeg (G/T) / Heck / Deculus / Zierer (PS)

OG Mason / Green / Quessenberry (G/C) / Deiter (G/C) / Deatherage (PS) / Beach

OC Scruggs / Morrissey / Patterson (PS)

I think the team acquires Joe Haeg from Cleveland - either via small trade or waivers.  (For four reasons: played for our OL coach in Indy; valued veteran, versatile [G/T], & decent depth.)

Edge Room

Hughes / Greenard / Horton / Winovich / Gaye (PS) / Rivers / Harris / Odeleye 

I think this room shapes up well.  Lots of Queen-type chess pieces.

Interior Defensive Line Room

Rankins / Collins / Ridgeway / Lopez / Booker / Hinish (PS) / Stallworth

I have a feeling one of these players gets moved in a minor deal. Good rotation, not great.

Linebackers Room

SLB Anderson Jr.  / Littleton / Hansen

MLB Perryman / Kirksey / To'oTo'o 

WLB Harris / Wallow / Cashmen

Absolutely think Kirksey gets moved for a conditional late Day 3 pick or cut - just too costly with Perryman & To'oTo'o onboard)

Cornerbacks Room

LCB Stingley Jr. / Hollman / Ross

RCB Nelson / Sheffield / Joiner (PS)

Slot CB King / Thomas

I would look for a veteran addition - I am just not sure who.

Safeties Room

Ward / Pitre / Stewart (DB) / Murray / Arnold  (DB) / Hill (PS) / Francis 

I want to know who Murray has pictures of at his price point.

Special Teams Room

Fairbairn (K) / Johnston (P) / Weeks (LS) / Doyle (P)

Solid group.  Addition of Tank spices up the return game. 

• Like 2

Chron's take

Offense

Quarterbacks: C.J. Stroud, Davis Mills, Case Keenum, E.J. Perry

The Texans likely won’t name Stroud the starter until he actually earns the job. And they also likely won’t be in a rush to put him on the field until he’s ready.

But he was one of the most talented players in the draft, and the Texans took him No. 2 overall because he’s their future. The Texans are building their offense around Stroud, not Mills or Keenum. So the expectation is he’ll start Week 1. It’s up to his coaching staff to get him prepared.

The Texans kept two quarterbacks on the roster last year until they finally called up Jeff Driskel late in the season.

Given Stroud’s youth, Mills’ experience and Keenum’s expected role as mentor, the Texans will likely keep three quarterbacks on the roster.

Running backs: Dameon Pierce, Devin Singletary, Mike Boone, Dare Ogunbowale, Gerrid Doaks

[…]

Wide receivers: Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Tank Dell, John Metchie, Noah Brown, Xavier Hutchinson, Amari Rodgers, Steven Sims, Johnny Johnson III, Alex Bachman, Drew Estrada

The Texans drafted two wide receivers over the course of two days and are expected to get Metchie back. He was drafted in the second round in 2022 but missed the season after he was diagnosed with leukemia.

Earlier in the offseason, the Texans signed Woods, Brown and Sims to go with Collins. So they’ll have a logjam at wide receiver.

Collins, Woods, Dell, Metchie and likely Brown should be locks to make the roster. Assuming the Texans keep six receivers, and barring any major injuries, it’ll be an interesting battle in training camp to see who earns the final spot.

“They all bring some different things to the table,” Caserio said. “A pretty diverse group. A lot of different body types and different types of skills. We’ll let the competition play itself out.”

Tight ends: Dalton Schultz, Teagan Quitoriano, Andrew Beck, Brevin Jordan

[…]

Offensive Linemen
Left tackles: Laremy Tunsil, Charlie Heck, Austin Deculus
Left guards: Kenyon Green, Jimmy Morrissey, Jarrett Patterson
Centers: Juice Scruggs, Scott Quessenbery, Patterson, Morrissey, Michael Dieter
Right guards: Shaq Mason, Patterson, Dieter
Right tackles: Tytus Howard, Heck, Deculus

The Texans went into the offseason knowing they had to improve the offensive line. While Tunsil and Howard held down the two tackle spots, the Texans struggled on the interior.

They signed Tunsil to a three-year contract extension and traded for Mason, a veteran guard who was a reliable starter with the Buccaneers and Patriots.

Adding a center was the final piece, and the Texans drafted two in Scruggs in the second round and Patterson in the sixth.

The Texans still could get a little deeper at both guard spots, which they might address in free agency.

Defense

Defensive Linemen
Ends: Will Anderson Jr., Jonathan Greenard, Jerry Hughes, Chase Winovich, Dylan Horton, Derek Rivers, Demone Harris, Adedayo Odeleye

Tackles: Maliek Collins, Sheldon Rankins, Hassan Ridgeway, Roy Lopez, Thomas Booker IV, Kurt Hinish, Taylor Stallworth

The two position groups Ryans said he wanted to address were offensive line and defensive line.

He had to. The Texans were the NFL's worst team at stopping the run in 2022. They allowed 170.2 yards rushing per game. The Bears, the second-worst team, allowed 157.3. When the Texans traded up from No. 12 to No. 3 to get Anderson, they showed they are ready to accelerate the rebuild. As with Stroud on offense, Anderson gives the Texans an instant impact player on the defensive side of the ball and someone many say was the most talented player in the draft. The Alabama product had 17.5 sacks in 2021 and twice won the Bronko Nagurski Award, given to the nation’s best defensive player.

Adding Rankins at defensive tackle in free agency also made them better. And Ridgeway gives them solid depth.

The Texans have improved most on their defensive line this offseason.

Linebackers
Weak side: Christian Harris, Blake Cashman, Jake Hansen, Garrett Wallow
Middle: Denzel Perryman, Christian Kirksey, Henry To’oTo’o
Strong side: Corey Littleton, Cashman, Wallow

The Texans added a lot of depth in free agency with the addition of proven veterans Littleton and Perryman, who could both become starters. Perryman led the NFL in tackles in 2021 and was a Pro Bowl starter. But he has a history of injuries.

To’oTo’o provides depth and can play special teams, too. He said he had no idea the Texans were picking him.

Despite his connection with Ryans — they both played at Alabama — he said he didn’t have much communication with the Texans staff during the predraft process, but he’s glad they picked him so he could play with former Bama teammates Harris and Anderson.

Defensive backs
Cornerbacks: Derek Stingley Jr., Steven Nelson, Kendall Sheffield, Jacobi Francis, Grayland Arnold, D’Angelo Ross, Ka’dar Hollman
Nickels: Desmond King II, Tavierre Thomas
Safeties: Jalen Pitre, Jimmie Ward, Eric Murray, Brandon Hill

Cornerback was a position of need the Texans didn’t address in the draft but could be something they look at with undrafted players or in free agency.

Nelson is entering the final year of his contract and wants to a new one. Though he’s a solid player, the odds of his getting one are not in his favor at age 30. Thomas is also on a one-year deal, and King is entering the final year of his contract. The Texans might be going heavy at cornerback in the 2024 draft.

But for now, it’s one of their deepest positions. Stingley should improve as a lockdown corner, and Nelson should hold down the No. 2 spot.

At safety, Ward gives them experience and someone who knows how to play in Ryans’ system. Though it’s not his preferred position, Ward can also play nickel corner, if needed.

The Texans' final pick of the seventh round was Hill, whom Caserio described as “fast, tough, explosive and urgent.”

“Kind of hell on wheels,” Caserio said. “Guy has a really good playing style. Plays closer to the line of scrimmage.”

Special teams
Kicker: Kai’imi Fairbairn
Punter: Cameron Johnston
Long snapper: Jon Weeks
Kick returner: Tank Dell
Punt returners: Desmond King II, Dell

Special teams was the Texans’ strongest unit in 2022. They were consistent and made few mistakes. Fairbairn and Johnston both played at Pro Bowl levels: Fairbairn made 29 of 31 field goals, while Johnston averaged 48.1 yards per punt.

But the Texans let cornerback Tremon Smith, who was also their kick returner, walk in free agency. Dell could potentially fill that spot.

Thoughts:

I like how we are building the offense.  I expect the OL to be significantly better, and our running game will be one of the best in the league.  

We still lack a number 1 WR but the Wr core we have will be solid.

X Factor on defense will be Jonathan Greenard. If we can get the 2021 version of him our defensive line is going to be nasty. 

Linebacker group is going to be intriguing.  Ironically To'oTo'o's player comparison on his nfl.com draft comparison is Christian Kirksey.  I think To'oTo'o has a legit shot at beating Kirksey for his ILB job.

Still need a number 2 CB. I was hoping we selected Ringo with one of the 4ths we had. I think he has number 2 CB potential.

Safety will definitely be improved.  Signing Jimmie Ward was a must.  He will provide leadership in the backend of the defense.

• Like 1

Our biggest needs coming into the draft were QB, EDGE, Center and WR. And within the first 3 rounds we addressed all of these, so from a positional stand it's an A.

We were aggressive in acquiring our (hopefully) franchise QB and EDGE which I like. If both work out the first we gave away in the 2024 draft will be immediately forgotten, so I can't blame the management for backing themselves.

Not sure about the Juice pick at #62 but the front office obviously saw something more draft experts didn't.

And Tank Dell, although he doesn't have the measurables of a #1 WR will certainly be a major contributor to the offense day 1 and should be a key contributor on special teams.

I like the pickups of Horton, To'o To'o and Hutchinson as I think they will all compete day 1 for a starting berth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

I remember Greg Little... good explosion #'s, but his lateral agility looked poor

Also, not sure if anybody mentioned it, but we brought back Eric Tomlinson (listed at TE, but really an extra OL)

Edited by jch1911

I’ve been traveling for the past week or so, but was able to watch the draft and was pretty stoked on the Texans finding a way to grab 2 of the top 5 prospects in this years draft. 

Since the draft, the media has been ripping the Texans every chance they get, especially focusing on the fact that we gave up too much. Leaving me very confused.We gave up a lot but I thought it was understandable given the recent history of the team. Giving the cardinals the 33rd pick in what conceived to be “weak draft” is understandable. If there are only 15 prospects with 1st round grades and we got two of them, I consider this a win. Our 2024 1st rounder was a steep price to pay, but I don’t think it’s gonna be a top 5 pick. WAJ was considered the top pick going into this season and is suffering from having too much film out and being over analyzed. 

This off-season may have been defib shock that we needed and set us on a new path compete in an increasingly competitive AFC south. 

From what I’ve gathered, everybody here in the forum is pretty happy on how the draft turned out, but I might have to stop listening to NFL media until the season starts because I believe we’re gonna be better than our projections. 

• Like 2

Good read for us (but sort of expected from the building, one of those “best shape of his career” comments we hear around this time):

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/news/houston-texans-safety-jimmie-ward-second-year-derek-stingley-jr

The praise is what it is (Ward is a team leader and veteran, he knows this game) but I was more interested in this stat:

The LSU prospect was the only rookie cornerback who did not allow a touchdown while registering 43 tackles, five pass deflections and 1.0 sacks.

I thought the Sting rookie campaign was a mixed bag of sorts - I can’t shake the images of Cortland Sutton just abusing him like a rented mule - but I guess his season was better than I expected? Last year had a few standouts at CB, so to be the only one who didn’t give up a TD is a nice little stat to build on.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Good read for us (but sort of expected from the building, one of those “best shape of his career” comments we hear around this time):

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/news/houston-texans-safety-jimmie-ward-second-year-derek-stingley-jr

The praise is what it is (Ward is a team leader and veteran, he knows this game) but I was more interested in this stat:

The LSU prospect was the only rookie cornerback who did not allow a touchdown while registering 43 tackles, five pass deflections and 1.0 sacks.

I thought the Sting rookie campaign was a mixed bag of sorts - I can’t shake the images of Cortland Sutton just abusing him like a rented mule - but I guess his season was better than I expected? Last year had a few standouts at CB, so to be the only one who didn’t give up a TD is a nice little stat to build on.

his deal will be 100% whether or not he can stay healthy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

His rookie campaign was as you said, mixed. There are definitely a lot of positives he showed, even against Cortland Sutton. I just think the Sutton played really saavy against Sting Week 2. Even the long PI he gave up could have gone the other way with the hand fighting/grabbing. There is one play against Sutton where Sutton had a large chunk play, and sting had passed him off to the safety once he left Sting's zone; However, the Safety wasn't paying attention (Owens) and didn't cover Sutton when he entered the deep zone, to which I remember Sting looking up like "Wtf", and ran to try to catch him but it was too late and he looked silly, even though it was Owens' Zone Responsibility.

Lots of positives though - Dude is a Kareem Jackson Level Tackler which is rad. Just staying healthy will be key though. Very much looking forward to seeing him progress this season!

I put the video in so you can re-watch his worse game, and see some of the stuff he got pinged on I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcA7Klyrf4

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jakz said:

There is one play against Sutton where Sutton had a large chunk play, and sting had passed him off to the safety once he left Sting's zone; However, the Safety wasn't paying attention (Owens) and didn't cover Sutton when he entered the deep zone, to which I remember Sting looking up like "Wtf", and ran to try to catch him but it was too late and he looked silly, even though it was Owens' Zone Responsibility.

It's these types of things where the change from Mr. Simone Biles to Jimmie Ward is going to make a difference - Owens was simply bad at football, with poor football IQ teamed with poor athletic ability. Ward is an All Pro caliber S, a former highly drafted DB with a wide skillset; Ward played slot CB all last season due to injury and was able to succeed due to his footwork, speed and short area quickness.

DB is a position that is very contingent on surrounding cast - Owens to Ward is a massive upgrade for the entire unit. 

43 minutes ago, Jakz said:

Lots of positives though - Dude is a Kareem Jackson Level Tackler which is rad.

Jackson's biggest flaw was a lack of top end speed, which isn't an issue with Stingley - he's moving in the low 4.3s, he's got the necessary speed and quickness to keep on any WR not named Tyreek Hill.

44 minutes ago, Jakz said:

I put the video in so you can re-watch his worse game, and see some of the stuff he got pinged on I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTcA7Klyrf4

Oh wow - I appreciate it!

CJ Stroud, Laremy Tunsil.. maybe Jimmie Ward.

I feel like everyone else on the roster is going to have to earn their way onto the field. Possibly you could include Stingley in this untouchable category, and I think he will start, but I don't think it's a given. I think they're going to legitimately let the various competitions play out and let the best players play. That could mean that Kenyon Green becomes a backup guard. It could mean that Nico Collins is released. It could mean that our #1 WR is Noah Brown. We can't afford to "let guys develop" and make excuses for their shortcomings year after year anymore. No more "culture" guys who can't make plays anymore. Figure out who the best football players are at each position, and let's roll with those guys. 

Unfortunately this like, roster full of backups and #2 types, we've seen this before. The last two years the rosters looked something like it does right now. It hasn't been good. I want to see some of these guys step up and make themselves some money. I want to see some high quality starters emerge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

LFG! More cap space!

Was just coming to post it... lol

Opens $2-$3M IIRC

Jacob Martin just got cut... IJS

Also, if we could extend Tytus that would be great. K. Thx. Bbbbyyyeeeeeee

Edited by jch1911
  • Like 1