Stalking Rodgers

Brit Pack

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Are you referring to social security benefits those of a certain age receive? Or is it the people our government sent off to fight these senseless wars who came back broken? 

It's lower than crass to suggest either of those things are true. 

He said the people we spend the majority of our money on. Which looking at the facts is our older population and military personnel. So I have to assume that's who he was referring to.

I mean, "degenerate" is literally a Nazi catchphrase (Hitler had a whole thing about "Degenerate Art"), so I'm going to be a lot of bit suspicious about anybody who just has that in that in their active vocabulary.  There was a carve-out for Pro Wrestling fans in the 90s-00s but I think the statute of limitations here has passed.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He said the people we spend the majority of our money on. Which looking at the facts is our older population and military personnel. So I have to assume that's who he was referring to.

Social Security is not your money or the governments money. People paid that money into social security out of their paychecks with employer match. Men and women of the military were promised a pension and health care for their service. Again, that is not OUR money. If we had a government that was anywhere close to fiscally responsible, that money would still be set aside, in a private fund they couldn't touch or give to whoever they damn well pleased (like social security used to be). 

• Like 1

Just now, Old Guy said:

People paid that money into social security out of their paychecks with employer match.

This is a commonly believed myth.  From the first day Social Security existed, people were getting paid out of it despite having never paid a cent into it (since they couldn't, as it didn't exist.)  Social Security has always been "support the retired, elderly etc. by taxing the current workers."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Social Security is not your money or the governments money. People paid that money into social security out of their paychecks with employer match. Men and women of the military were promised a pension and health care for their service. Again, that is not OUR money. If we had a government that was anywhere close to fiscally responsible, that money would still be set aside, in a private fund they couldn't touch or give to whoever they damn well pleased (like social security used to be). 

And some people call them degenerates.

Sad.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

This is a commonly believed myth.  From the first day Social Security existed, people were getting paid out of it despite having never paid a cent into it (since they couldn't, as it didn't exist.)  Social Security has always been "support the retired, elderly etc. by taxing the current workers."

Of course they are paying current recipients from current contributors. Social Security was a solvent fund until the government decided to move it into the general budget to balance it during the Johnson administration. They have been robbing it blind and giving it to folks who it was never intended for. 

Social Security started in 1935, the first payment wasn't until 1940 so your statement is absolutely inaccurate. 

The History of Your Social Security Payments (usnews.com)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Of course they are paying current recipients from current contributors. Social Security was a solvent fund until the government decided to move it into the general budget to balance it during the Johnson administration. They have been robbing it blind and giving it to folks who it was never intended for. 

Social Security started in 1935, the first payment wasn't until 1940 so your statement is absolutely inaccurate. 

The History of Your Social Security Payments (usnews.com)

Social security is still solvent. 2021 was the first year costs exceeded revenue in the last 30 years I see. The primary reasons for the current concerns are that Old Guys are living longer now than Old Guys used to (which is absolutely fantastic, mind you) and that our birth rate has declined so there are fewer and fewer people paying in. 

I don't see that changes to recipients had any significant impact on the current funding concerns (beyond the fact that the vast majority of people who have always been recipients are living longer).

https://usafacts.org/articles/is-social-security-sustainable/

The Medicare and Medicaid expansions by the Johnson administration are incredibly efficient and effective. All are incredibly (but imperfect) programs.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

Yeah, the whole "X program is insolvent" is just a game of chicken played by austerity wonks.  The US Government could fund basically anything it wanted for as long as it wanted.  The will is harder to cultivate than the way here.  Like we could absolutely do UBI in the U.S., but there's a significant number of people who think "kids get free meals at school"  is a moral hazard for some bizarre reason.

• Like 4