NFL Schedule Release

swede700

While not official yet, the target date for the release of the schedule is 1 week from today.

As a reminder for folks, here are the opponents:

Home: Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, LA Chargers, New Orleans, San Francisco, Tampa Bay

Road: Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Carolina, Cincinnati, Denver, Las Vegas, Philadelphia

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Week 1 against Green Bay please😎

No, I'd rather not have that again.  Especially with such a new defense...the Vikings don't need to give Love any confidence. I think I'd rather have them open on the road somewhere, either Carolina, Cincinnati or Vegas.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

No, I'd rather not have that again.  Especially with such a new defense...the Vikings don't need to give Love any confidence. I think I'd rather have them open on the road somewhere, either Carolina, Cincinnati or Vegas.

Green Bay is awful to start the season.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

On the other hand, GB wouldn't know what to expect, since there would be no film of our new defense, especially of this iteration of Flores' defensive scheme.

it doesn't come down, of course, to what we'd want to see, but what the NFL wants to promote so to sell advertising.

i'll assume they'll want to give Love and the GB coaches time to get him comfortable with the game and his new role, before scheduling NFC North rivalry games. but who knows?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

On the other hand, GB wouldn't know what to expect, since there would be no film of our new defense, especially of this iteration of Flores' defensive scheme.

Remember Trubisky's first start vs. the Vikings?  And Skylar Thompson last year?  They looked like All-Pros.  And don't even get me started on Josh Allen.  They jump-started his career.  I'd personally rather wait to see the Packers...let Jordan Love get beaten up a bit. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 2:05 PM, vike daddy said:

it doesn't come down, of course, to what we'd want to see, but what the NFL wants to promote so to sell advertising.

i'll assume they'll want to give Love and the GB coaches time to get him comfortable with the game and his new role, before scheduling NFC North rivalry games. but who knows?

Aaron Rodgers got his first start against us in primetime back in 2008.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:14 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Aaron Rodgers got his first start against us in primetime back in 2008.

Which, of course, the Vikings lost, and really were never in the game after getting the first field goal...and that defense was better than this version.  Granted, this offense will be better than that one too (as it really only had AP).  And in a season the Packers ended up 6-10, they almost swept the Vikings, as it took a late TD from AP to win the game at home by 1 pt.  I want nothing to do with the Packers Week 1.  (I'm sure I just jinxed it now after saying I wanted nothing to do with a WR in Round 1 of the draft either 🤣)  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which, of course, the Vikings lost, and really were never in the game after getting the first field goal...and that defense was better than this version.  Granted, this offense will be better than that one too (as it really only had AP).  And in a season the Packers ended up 6-10, they almost swept the Vikings, as it took a late TD from AP to win the game at home by 1 pt.  I want nothing to do with the Packers Week 1.  (I'm sure I just jinxed it now after saying I wanted nothing to do with a WR in Round 1 of the draft either 🤣)  

Well last year - with a worse defense than this one - we played them week 1 and almost shut them out. There's no reason to fear Jordan Love.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Well last year - with a worse defense than this one - we played them week 1 and almost shut them out. There's no reason to fear Jordan Love.

I don't fear him...but I've seen the Vikings lose to QBs just as bad, if not worse, such as Chad Hutchinson and Cooper Rush. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't fear him...but I've seen the Vikings lose to QBs just as bad, if not worse, such as Chad Hutchinson and Cooper Rush. 

And you've seen them beat Rodgers, Brees, and Josh Allen... Every game is different. Not wanting to play a team week 1 because they have an unproven/not great QB is a strange stance to take.

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

And you've seen them beat Rodgers, Brees, and Josh Allen... Every game is different. Not wanting to play a team week 1 because they have an unproven/not great QB is a strange stance to take.

You may view it as strange, I view it as a life-time accumulation of watching losses to inferior QBs.  I never have an issue with them going up against quality QBs, I have witnessed too many times of playing down to inferior QBs. 

17 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Unless you believe in curses, it's projection and I don't get it. Different players, different owners, different coaches, different buildings.

To each his or her own, though, I suppose.

Very true, as it is projection, but it has seemed to hold true regardless of the owners, players, coaches and buildings.  It certainly hasn't really changed, for the most part, with the Twins vs. the Yankees or with the Timberwolves their entire existence.  😂

Until they prove otherwise, I have to believe the trend will continue regardless of the components.  Last year, I enjoyed immensely, but ultimately, it turned out as it always has, they lost to an inferior team.   Therefore, I don't want them to face an inferior team with an inferior QB within the division right out of the gate.  Let them ease into it. 

Hell, I'd rather see them face a Bryce Young or Desmond Ridder right out of the gate than the Packers, so even if the Vikings blow that game (on a throw to Thielen from Young), it isn't going to give the Atlanta/Carolina fanbases as much of an ego trip as the Packers' faithful would get if the Vikings were to lose out of the gate to Love. 

Edited by swede700