2023 EC Finals: (2) Boston Celtics vs (8) Miami Heat

11sanchez11

4 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Bro was also hurt. Brown sucked today (and the series) but people calling to blow the team up are such fools. 

I will say I blame the lack of Mazzula offense more than any one player but I also hope they don't make a mistake and fire him. 

I mean if the alternative is paying Jaylen 60 mil/year than yeah blowing it up (aka moving him) doesn't sound that bad.

36 minutes ago, Mox said:

I mean if the alternative is paying Jaylen 60 mil/year than yeah blowing it up (aka moving him) doesn't sound that bad.

Was thinking about a trade..

Dejounte Murray ++ for Brown, who says no? Murray can handle the ball for Tatum and Trae can do the same for Brown.

31 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Was thinking about a trade..

Dejounte Murray ++ for Brown, who says no? Murray can handle the ball for Tatum and Trae can do the same for Brown.

Depends on the new cap rules. If the NBA moves to a hard cap then Brown is probably a bottom 5-10 contract in the NBA signing a supermax.

7 hours ago, Mox said:

Maybe. I'd still rather pay Jaylen Brown and trade him later if need be. He's improved every year, and it's possible he's plateaued but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on a core of guys in their mid 20s who have gone to 3 straight ECFs and missed a 2nd consecutive finals by a game. 

Mazzulla will be a better coach next year. He'll have different assistants that he's chosen. 

32 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Maybe. I'd still rather pay Jaylen Brown and trade him later if need be. He's improved every year, and it's possible he's plateaued but I'm not ready to throw in the towel on a core of guys in their mid 20s who have gone to 3 straight ECFs and missed a 2nd consecutive finals by a game. 

Mazzulla will be a better coach next year. He'll have different assistants that he's chosen. 

People always bring this up as if past performance equals future success without actually thinking about it logistically.  They've had that success because they have two All NBA guys who aren't top 40 in the NBA in contract value this year and a nice supporting cast. Jaylen's extension would put him #1, and it would come at the cost of that supporting cast. Obviously he wouldn't stay #1 for long, but how the F do think you're going to be able to build a competent team paying Jaylen Brown more than Nikola Jokic, and then the next year paying both Tatum and Brown more than him? Say goodbye to any chance you have at having depth.

EDIT: I'm specifically talking about giving him the supermax. If he took a regular max, it's a no brainer you keep him.

Edited by Mox

14 minutes ago, Mox said:

People always bring this up as if past performance equals future success without actually thinking about it logistically.  They've had that success because they have two All NBA guys who aren't top 40 in the NBA in contract value this year and a nice supporting cast. Jaylen's extension would put him #1, and it would come at the cost of that supporting cast. Obviously he wouldn't stay #1 for long, but how the F do think you're going to be able to build a competent team paying Jaylen Brown more than Nikola Jokic, and then the next year paying both Tatum and Brown more than him? Say goodbye to any chance you have at having depth.

EDIT: I'm specifically talking about giving him the supermax. If he took a regular max, it's a no brainer you keep him.

It doesn't matter what Jokic is making. That has no effect on what the Celtics will do or how they'll construct their roster. I'm sure they plan on winning by finding guys that fit next to their core with the money that they have. The Celtics still have Al Horford, Robert Williams, Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Jayson Tatum, Danilo Gallinari and Sam Hauser next year. Maybe they also hold onto Grant Williams. Don't know, don't care. With Jaylen Brown, they'll be a 1-2 seed again. 

There are plenty of players who are paid more than their worth and that's simply the way the NBA works. I have no idea what his contract situation will look like but I'll be shocked if he isn't a Celtic next year and I definitely expect them to be in the mix. Even if Jaylen Brown doesn't continue to take another step forward. 

Maybe Brad doesn't bring in another piece like White or Brogdon this season or the season after that, but he's earned trust from me at least. 

2 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I like the idea of trading Jaylen Brown for Anfernee Simons and the third overall pick if that were to be offered. Maybe the C’s throw in another player. Simons is already ascending and signed for the next three seasons at which point he’s turning the age Brown currently is. I think Simons compliments Tatum better and has just as high upside. Plus you get the third overall pick again. Remember the last couple of guys the Celtics took third overall? Tatum and Brown. Perhaps a sign and trade involving Grant Williams or throwing in Brown’s friend Brogdon gets it done. Maybe Pritchard, (former Oregon Duck), is a sign and trade throw-in asset instead of Grant or Brogdon which could give the Blazers depth after the loss of Simons.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/blazers-planning-to-package-no-3-pick-anfernee-simons-for-an-elite-small-forward/

You live in Portland still, right? What do you think?

Edited by DoleINGout

2 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

It doesn't matter what Jokic is making. That has no effect on what the Celtics will do or how they'll construct their roster. I'm sure they plan on winning by finding guys that fit next to their core with the money that they have. The Celtics still have Al Horford, Robert Williams, Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Jayson Tatum, Danilo Gallinari and Sam Hauser next year. Maybe they also hold onto Grant Williams. Don't know, don't care. With Jaylen Brown, they'll be a 1-2 seed again. 

There are plenty of players who are paid more than their worth and that's simply the way the NBA works. I have no idea what his contract situation will look like but I'll be shocked if he isn't a Celtic next year and I definitely expect them to be in the mix. Even if Jaylen Brown doesn't continue to take another step forward. 

Maybe Brad doesn't bring in another piece like White or Brogdon this season or the season after that, but he's earned trust from me at least. 

Jokic was simply an example. Unless Tatum takes a leap or someone cheap hits big, you straight up aren't contending with Jaylen on a supermax. He's not that caliber of player, and you won't be able to build around a good team with the limited cash left. There is a huge difference between paying somewhere more than their worth and giving Jaylen Brown 60 mil/year. Just watch.

11 minutes ago, Mox said:

Jokic was simply an example. Unless Tatum takes a leap or someone cheap hits big, you straight up aren't contending with Jaylen on a supermax. He's not that caliber of player, and you won't be able to build around a good team with the limited cash left. There is a huge difference between paying somewhere more than their worth and giving Jaylen Brown 60 mil/year. Just watch.

Ok man I'll @ you when the Celtics are in the ecf next year

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I like the idea of trading Jaylen Brown for Anfernee Simons and the third overall pick if that were to be offered. Maybe the C’s throw in another player. Simons is already ascending and signed for the next three seasons at which point he’s turning the age Brown currently is. I think Simons compliments Tatum better and has just as high upside. Plus you get the third overall pick again. Remember the last couple of guys the Celtics took third overall? Tatum and Brown. Perhaps a sign and trade involving Grant Williams or throwing in Brown’s friend Brogdon gets it done. Maybe Pritchard, (former Oregon Duck), is a sign and trade throw-in asset instead of Grant or Brogdon which could give the Blazers depth after the loss of Simons.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/blazers-planning-to-package-no-3-pick-anfernee-simons-for-an-elite-small-forward/

You live in Portland still, right? What do you think?

I don't think much of Simons and Henderson may eventually be a great player but I'd rather not gamble on Tatum's prime 

47 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I don't think much of Simons and Henderson may eventually be a great player but I'd rather not gamble on Tatum's prime 

Eh, to the point others are making about the max deal to Jaylen Brown in the new salary cap - I think that’s potentially prohibitive. That said, I agree with you that the safest route is to re-sign Brown and let them have at least one more crack at it before reevaluating trading Brown.

As far as if Brown gets traded this off season for a deal similar to the proposed one of Simons and third overall pick, I think there are a few prospects beside Scoot Henderson that would be worthwhile investments if accompanied by an established player such as Simons in a trade.

Jerace Walker, Taylor Hendricks, and Jordan Hawkins in particular are prospects that should go top ten that I’d think are safe prospects and good fits with thr Celtics right away.

Charlotte should take Henderson but if they go Brandon Miller then it makes it enticing to offer up Brown for that package of Henderson/Simons despite the safer option for now with Brown.

Edited by DoleINGout

1 hour ago, Troy Brown said:

Ok man I'll @ you when the Celtics are in the ecf next year

His extension doesn't kick in next year. But feel free anytime after that if he signs the supermax with you guys.