2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

John Fox did a masterful job of keeping games respectable with Trubisky at QB.    

Did nothing to develop him and never threatened to actually win the game - but kept scores respectable.

I hate that actually.  I'd rather risk getting blown out and try to win games with bold game plans against better teams.  Sometimes that blows up in your face.   But so be it.

But it is different when it is your livelihood on the line.  I get it.  

I agree wholeheartedly, and have made a lot of comments that you need to swing big to win big. Getting Brady in the 6th, Purdy as Mr. Irrelevant, Warner as a FA steal, etc are great stories. But they are incredible outliers. 

I think as a coach you need to have a total disdain for losing. You NEED to have a bit of that psychopathic desire to win. Now that doesn't mean being an ******* like Jim Harbaugh can be necessarily, but there needs to be demands of everybody - players, staff members, even FO workers. If you're not productive then you're a liability. Depth needs to even be trying to usurp the guy ahead of them and try to force competition. I think that is one part of why Harbaugh has been able to create such talented staffs and continually win everywhere he goes. He pushes his staff, they grow and develop, and then his staff is stronger. He puts the best players in position to win. I have zero doubt that if he felt JJ's back up gave him a better shot to win that he would make the switch and be unapologetic about it. That desire to win is coached into them, created a culture of how the work effort is demanded of everyone, and it completely revamped Michigan. 

But with John Fox it became more about just accepting the process, seemed almost like a "time to take your lumps to create the foundation" kind of deal. I really felt like he checked out, and it seemed a lot of the time like one of your coworkers who doesn't care about their job but wants to keep the check coming in. No ambition, just get in, meet minimum standards, and clock out at the end of your shift. That's how I feel about coaches being conservative and "keeping it close" being acceptable is. When I was managing facilities for sanitation I had zero issues with people doing that as long as they got their job done well and on time, but when you're making 7 figures per year in a billion dollar organization that is unacceptable. That's why to this day I still hold a bit of resentment towards Fox. I know he put in more than 40 hours, I know he got pissed on the sidelines at times so he DID care to a degree, but he ACTUALLY just seemed like everything that was rumored about Cutler. 

Edited by Sugashane
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

They are clearing the decks to make LA look like the most enticing landing spot for someone who wants all the control

fired them now so they dont have to spend the next 4 weeks trying to find a replacement behind the backs of the guys you're trying to replace

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

if they came on reasonable deals would you rather have Mack or Bosa?

I'd go Mack. He is a better run defender and would actually get a lot of focus off of himself as OLs roll toward him or Sweat. Be a hell of a duo. Seems to be more durable over his career too.

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I read that LAC has 58% of their 2024 cap allocated to FOUR guys (Herbert, Mack, Bosa & Allen), and that doesn’t even include Derwin James’ $19.8M cap hit for 2024. THAT is why Telesco got fired today too IMO.

Have to think 52 is gonna be on the move again this offseason. 

There is no doubt it is one of the worst examples of true roster building in the NFL for a long long time...focused way too much on big name players and then next to nothing behind it...Herbert deserves far better...

Say what you want about Poles...he understands how to assign a value to a player/position and stick to it...clearly TT never worked that one out.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To me that’s a move you probably only consider if you trade #1 for a bunch of extra picks if only because Mack isn’t a long term option at this juncture. 

I'll be honest...I would have zero interest in either at this point of their careers and where we currently are...keep building through the draft...with good young FA/Trades.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'll be honest...I would have zero interest in either at this point of their careers and where we currently are...keep building through the draft...with good young FA/Trades.

A thousand times yes here.  No point in acting like we're in win-now mode when we have a chance to move young talent through and see who can play. 

5 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

A thousand times yes here.  No point in acting like we're in win-now mode when we have a chance to move young talent through and see who can play. 

And yet if the Bears signed Mike Evans, Chris Jones or Danielle Hunter in March, 99% of this board would lose their **** in the best way possible. Obviously all 3 would excite me more than Mack, but the age thing is almost meaningless to me. At some point they'll have to make their Trent Williams-esque acquisition

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

And yet if the Bears signed Mike Evans, Chris Jones or Danielle Hunter in March, 99% of this board would lose their **** in the best way possible. Obviously all 3 would excite me more than Mack, but the age thing is almost meaningless to me. At some point they'll have to make their Trent Williams-esque acquisition

Yep, plus if someone is worth a damn the HC SHOULD be able to find a way to get them on the field. If you feel like he isn't bright enough to do that then he sure as hell isn't going to be the guy to help the team win long-term either. Especially if it is something like passrushers. I don't think Flubby would struggle to get 3 good passrushers on the DL at once. lol

I have zero issues with signing vets, my issue would be throwing a big contract for multiple guaranteed years. Mack on a 1-2 year deal isn't an issue at all. Throwing him a 5 year deal would be dumb AF. The big deal isn't to just be young, its to get the best ROI for your deals and if one is a net negative then to be able to cut ties painlessly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I was kind of hoping to see Tru and PIT get stuffed when it was like 1st and goal, but that 4th down QB sneak looked like an obvious TD to me.

Edit - But I'll take the botched PAT. lmao

The Steelers are a real wildcard for me trying to make a super aggressive move up to draft one of these QBs...Tomlin is under more pressure than I can ever remember and it is clear Pickett is just wasting any talent they put around him.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I have zero issues with signing vets, my issue would be throwing a big contract for multiple guaranteed years. Mack on a 1-2 year deal isn't an issue at all. Throwing him a 5 year deal would be dumb AF. The big deal isn't to just be young, its to get the best ROI for your deals and if one is a net negative then to be able to cut ties painlessly.

This is where I’m at with it. 2024 Mack on this roster would be a good thing. 2025 and beyond Mack would be the dicey part of acquiring him. 

• Like 1