2023 Around the League

HuskieBear

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Well done to the Lions for getting as far as they did…going to be far tougher without Johnson next year that’s for sure.

I get that there’s an allure of being the head coach, but in a situation like this (young team, Super Bowl window just opening, phenomenal young coordinator), what if the lions offer to make Johnson paid as much as an average head coach to stay on as OC and AHC?  His best chance to win a Super Bowl is with the lions and he likely gets more job security in that scenario as well. 

I get owners are cheap, but it wouldn’t cost against the salary cap and they get to keep continuity with their young and rising team.   Outside of status for Johnson, it seems like everyone wins.  Idk it’s just something I’ve thought about a bit lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I get that there’s an allure of being the head coach, but in a situation like this (young team, Super Bowl window just opening, phenomenal young coordinator), what if the lions offer to make Johnson paid as much as an average head coach to stay on as OC and AHC?  His best chance to win a Super Bowl is with the lions and he likely gets more job security in that scenario as well. 

I get owners are cheap, but it wouldn’t cost against the salary cap and they get to keep continuity with their young and rising team.   Outside of status for Johnson, it seems like everyone wins.  Idk it’s just something I’ve thought about a bit lately.

You're just trying to keep him available for another year if 2024 sucks for Chicago.

I'm down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Dallas have done it with Dan Quinn…guess it just depends on the individuals ambition…I mean he could stay but on the other hand he might end up like Ian Cunningham where he turns down a job one year then the next doesn’t get the job everyone thinks he should if the Lions have a down year off the back of this disappointment…you just never know in this league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CBears019 said:

It’s a good thought.  I have been thinking about it too.

Having a very good offensive mind is valuable.  Continuity is important.  Not just with plays for coach and players, but with knowing the people.  You don’t want these guys walking out door as soon as they have a good year.  

But being a HC comes with different job duties.  We have seen very good coordinators make very poor HCs.  

If you have what you think is a good HC in place and a good OC in place it is worth a lot of money to keep these guys together rather than losing the OC.  

Belichick was always best with McDaniels.  Imagine if Vrabel could have kept LaFluer and so on.  Though LaFluer ended up being good HC so use another example.  

• Like 1

I fell asleep watching Lions game at half.  Remember I watch the games after they are over on gamepass.  

I was thinking the 49ers could come back.  Watched the rest this morning.  Brutal for Lions.  

I still say Purdy is better than a game manager.  He makes plays.

Still a relative baby QB who had to win a job twice and lost offseason reps to that and injury, people act like he is a 5 year vet.   

Mahomes is on a different level than everyone else.  He has his own tier.  

Edited by dll2000

Today I learned Ravens game was rigged because of racism, Taylor Swift and reasons.

Was a few bad calls and non calls there always are if watch with a microscope, but the unsportsmanlike calls were well deserved and a probably a few more could have been called.  

They were also way too hyped to try to get hard hits on Mahomes.  He is best player in game. It won’t be tolerated even at home.  

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Would be interesting to see a team go all-in buying the best coaching staff possible. How much would they be willing to pay and how much would they win? At what point does adding more good coaches no longer help?

The 2010s Washington team is an interesting example. Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris, Richard Hightower, and Bobby Slowik all on staff. They were mostly bad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

Would be interesting to see a team go all-in buying the best coaching staff possible. How much would they be willing to pay and how much would they win? At what point does adding more good coaches no longer help?

The 2010s Washington team is an interesting example. Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Matt LaFleur, Raheem Morris, Richard Hightower, and Bobby Slowik all on staff. They were mostly bad.

A lot of those guys grew presumably too.  They are different now than in 2010 and you also need extra responsibility to grow.  

• Like 1