2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

Why is the hyperbole here so bad haha. What are you even trying to say here?  We all know the playing calling was what it was and then you said throw him to the curb?  Did you quote the wrong person?

No you said, did you forget what you said.

56 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Doesn’t mean you cut the kid now. The 5% common sense buffer I give is apparently to big.

no I wouldn’t release Tru this year

I interpreted “move on” to mean move on. As in what you actually wrote. The irony in your suggestion that your common sense buffer is “to big” for me in defense of this particular premise though... ?‍♂️

Unquestionably the principal requirement for getting the job as our next OC will be that coach’s willingness and ability to develop that very QB. Trubisky IS THE JOB. If you don’t want him then you’re not going to be our OC. Or HC, frankly. Pace has staked his career on Trubisky and any HC he brings in will do the same. There are few of any more certain things in Chicago sports right now. 

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Que? Rookie qb with 13 starts in college who is avg 220 yards at 72% completion with a 90+ qbr the last 3 weeks isnt playing well? What is your standard?

Last 3 weeks wasn’t the sample size I was talking about. Just curious is that his best 3 game stretch?

1 minute ago, Damikeeeee said:

Last 3 weeks wasn’t the sample size I was talking about. Just curious is that his best 3 game stretch?

Yes it is, which is what you expect from a rookie qb who is developing that hes playing his best ball at the end of the year.  I honestly dont have any clue unless you are a score caller where you think that MT10 hasnt progressed very well and ahead of the curve.

33 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Yes it is, which is what you expect from a rookie qb who is developing that hes playing his best ball at the end of the year.  I honestly dont have any clue unless you are a score caller where you think that MT10 hasnt progressed very well and ahead of the curve.

Ahead of the curve depends on where you think a top 2 pick should be. 

14 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Well if last year’s top QBs performance as rookies are any kind of benchmark for anything he stacks up pretty well: 

2017 Trubisky: 59.9% comp, 6.9 YPA, 7 TD, 7 INT (2.4%), 78.5 QB Rating, 4-7 record

2016 Wentz: 62.4% comp, 6.2 YPA, 16 TD, 14 INT (2.3%), 79.3 QB Rating, 7-9 record 

2016 Goff: 54.6% comp, 5.3 YPA, 5 TD, 7 INT (3.4%), 63.6 QB Rating, 0-7 record

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well if last year’s top QBs performance as rookies are any kind of benchmark for anything he stacks up pretty well: 

2017 Trubisky: 59.9% comp, 6.9 YPA, 7 TD, 7 INT (2.4%), 78.5 QB Rating, 4-7 record

2016 Wentz: 62.4% comp, 6.2 YPA, 16 TD, 14 INT (2.3%), 79.3 QB Rating, 7-9 record 

2016 Goff: 54.6% comp, 5.3 YPA, 5 TD, 7 INT (3.4%), 63.6 QB Rating, 0-7 record

His stats seem to be comparable but those are 2 guys that had big 2nd seasons. Any examples of his stats being comparable to complete busts?  Probably. 

Now the eye ball test I saw a lot of Trus stats coming off of playing with a game plan of a stupid amount of runs. I can’t watch his play and take as much away from it cause he’s not doing a lot. 

58 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

His stats seem to be comparable but those are 2 guys that had big 2nd seasons. Any examples of his stats being comparable to complete busts?  Probably. 

Now the eye ball test I saw a lot of Trus stats coming off of playing with a game plan of a stupid amount of runs. I can’t watch his play and take as much away from it cause he’s not doing a lot. 

Neither did Goff last year, and since Mitch hasn’t played his second year yet you can’t include it in any comparison of him with Goff and Wentz yet. 

What were your expectations for Trubisky that apparently aren’t being met? Please be specific.  

Again i ask what is your benchmark?  My eyes show me a guy who until 12 weeks ago hadnt taken a snap from center in a game since middle school.  Now hes playing under certain showing good footwork at a high level.  A guy who came from an offense with few pro concepts and is now running a full nfl playbook.  A guy seeing the field well and playing his best ball at the end of the year.  Im not sure what it is youre looking for.

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Neither did Goff last year, and since Mitch hasn’t played his second year yet you can’t include it in any comparison of him with Goff and Wentz yet. 

What were your expectations for Trubisky that apparently aren’t being met? Please be specific.  

I expected more from the passing game as a whole. It’s seems we’ve had to run every time out of need. All we can see is run run play action. When it’s a pure passing situation we don’t look good. Mitch shows poor mechanics and footwork. He can break a tackle and break a big run against man. His accuracy is there and also it’s not. I don’t see a QB who’s playing well.  The reason I like Landry is cause when we need to run he’s an elite slot receiver and Mitch looks best inside the hashes. Everyone says how he’s improved but that doesn’t make him great. 

I expected more from the passing game as a whole. It’s seems we’ve had to run every time out of need. All we can see is run run play action. When it’s a pure passing situation we don’t look good. Mitch shows poor mechanics and footwork. He can break a tackle and break a big run against man. His accuracy is there and also it’s not. I don’t see a QB who’s playing well.  The reason I like Landry is cause when we need to run he’s an elite slot receiver and Mitch looks best inside the hashes. Everyone says how he’s improved but that doesn’t make him great.

I don't see how we "run every time as a need."  We "need" to run on first down over 70% of the time? Especially when defenses are clearly keying on the run because of how predictable Loggains' playcalling has been? Trubisky sure has heel would have preferred to pass more than the amount he had to early on.

Loggains for most for most of the season had put him in terrible position with his predictable playcalling. Brady wouldn't look like an MVP with this cast and in constant 3rd and longs (though yes he would absolutely be better). Then look at the cast. Would you really expect Trubisky to challenge for ROY with his number one receiver being Wright and number two being a recently acquired Inman? Hell we have thrown the least passes in the NFL but still have 10th most drops. How are we supposed to do well with that level of play from his surrounding cast.

I don't think people are saying he IS great, but he is able to become great and is improving. Wentz wasn't great with a better cast last year, Goff was terrible last year with a poor cast. It isn't shocking to see his footwork is a need of focus, he was in a spread system. Carr needed the same overhaul, Goff did well in drills but his footwork was poor last year, etc. You wanted more of the passing game as a whole, but as a whole we lack playmakers and NFL talent on the outside, an NFL caliber OC, and have had poor blocking due to injuries. Compton and Sowell have performed better than I expected, but still are reserve caliber players, and not highly regarded. We have Massie, who is mediocre as can be, Leno has mental hiccups but has been quite a bit better this year in the pass game, Whitehair did well after a rough start, but we even had Grasu playing last week who everyone is down on it seems. If you want the passing game as a whole to be better, then all the parts need to at least be at least some level of quality.

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I don't see how we "run every time as a need."  We "need" to run on first down over 70% of the time? Especially when defenses are clearly keying on the run because of how predictable Loggains' playcalling has been? Trubisky sure has heel would have preferred to pass more than the amount he had to early on.

Loggains for most for most of the season had put him in terrible position with his predictable playcalling. Brady wouldn't look like an MVP with this cast and in constant 3rd and longs (though yes he would absolutely be better). Then look at the cast. Would you really expect Trubisky to challenge for ROY with his number one receiver being Wright and number two being a recently acquired Inman? Hell we have thrown the least passes in the NFL but still have 10th most drops. How are we supposed to do well with that level of play from his surrounding cast.

I don't think people are saying he IS great, but he is able to become great and is improving. Wentz wasn't great with a better cast last year, Goff was terrible last year with a poor cast. It isn't shocking to see his footwork is a need of focus, he was in a spread system. Carr needed the same overhaul, Goff did well in drills but his footwork was poor last year, etc. You wanted more of the passing game as a whole, but as a whole we lack playmakers and NFL talent on the outside, an NFL caliber OC, and have had poor blocking due to injuries. Compton and Sowell have performed better than I expected, but still are reserve caliber players, and not highly regarded. We have Massie, who is mediocre as can be, Leno has mental hiccups but has been quite a bit better this year in the pass game, Whitehair did well after a rough start, but we even had Grasu playing last week who everyone is down on it seems. If you want the passing game as a whole to be better, then all the parts need to at least be at least some level of quality.

I agree with a lot of this but it’s also the reason we should be able to admit that Tru hasn’t looked great. He hasn’t. Sorry. I think we have to run because what else are we gonna do?  We have a QB who’s talented but as we can all admit isn’t experienced and the pass protection/catchers aren’t great either. If we ran a typical offense I wouldn’t bet my money we’d be better. 

What I was saying was we should play to our strengths. Howard/Cohen and the play action. Just get a lot better at it. We can ride our running game and our D can get there. 

Archived