2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

I feel the exact same way about Fuller as I did with Alshon, in that it would hurt to lose him, drafted talent needs to be retained, but the “just pay him whatever he wants so that he doesn’t leave” mentality sets a horrible precedent and is pretty short-sighted.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Do you guys think we are gunning for Watkins and/or Robinson? Or is this a pipe dream that I/some of us are having.

I'm in the minority here, but I don't particularly want either. Certainly not Watkins... but I'm lukewarm at best on Robinson even.

I'd rather spend big on CB and OL, and look to draft prospects to shore up the passing game.   After he tested in the 99th percentile for TEs, I really want to snag Gesicki as a "TE" who ends up being used basically entirely as a WR. Then you can look to add a speed threat like Chark a bit later in the draft and I think WR ends up in a pretty good spot athletically..

W1: Meredith

W2: Chark /White

Slot: Gesicki

TE: Shaheen

RB: Cunningham/Cohen maybe Ballage  

That's 5 pretty dangerous targets on the field at once, and gives us some good variety between size/speed/agility.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Rookie WRs are notoriously useless in year 1.

Trubisky needs help now.

I think they will be in play for Robinson for sure.

I don't think we're a division contender this year regardless.... The system itself takes time to learn.  I'd rather do that with people I like long term... and while Robinson would easily be the best guy from the roookie-heavy setup I mentioned year one, I find him even less exciting long term than I did Jarvis Landry.

29 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I don't think we're a division contender this year regardless.... The system itself takes time to learn.  I'd rather do that with people I like long term... and while Robinson would easily be the best guy from the roookie-heavy setup I mentioned year one, I find him even less exciting long term than I did Jarvis Landry.

I would love to get Albert Wilson at least and then take a look at the rest of the market and determine who else I can acquire. We aren't contenders this coming year but we do need to make some strides. We cannot be 5-11 again. 

56 minutes ago, G08 said:

Do you guys think we are gunning for Watkins and/or Robinson? Or is this a pipe dream that I/some of us are having.

I think Robinson makes more sense than Watkins. Watkins is a great athlete, but Nagy alluded multiple times at the combine to wanting players with good football intelligence. I'm not sure how to compare the two on that since that's almost impossible from afar, but Robinson could run a full route tree coming out of PSU, and I feel like he's a little more savvy of a receiver than Watkins, so maybe that's the route they'll try to go.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

I think Robinson makes more sense than Watkins. Watkins is a great athlete, but Nagy alluded multiple times at the combine to wanting players with good football intelligence. I'm not sure how to compare the two on that since that's almost impossible from afar, but Robinson could run a full route tree coming out of PSU, and I feel like he's a little more savvy of a receiver than Watkins, so maybe that's the route they'll try to go.

The only reservation I have about Robinson is that he would be our 3rd WR that is coming off an injury, the 2nd one coming off a torn knee ligament (granted they're all young).

He also doesn't have the juice I think Nagy wants in this offense (I have no idea if that's what he only wants, though).

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

The only reservation I have about Robinson is that he would be our 3rd WR that is coming off an injury, the 2nd one coming off a torn knee ligament (granted they're all young).

He also doesn't have the juice I think Nagy wants in this offense (I have no idea if that's what he only wants, though).

His pro day 40 time coming out was like a 4.45 or 4.48. I feel like Cam Meredith and Allen Robinson are very similar players. Savvy guys, quicker than fast, same build, same playing style. Not sure whether or not that's a bad thing, but it's very noticeable.

Just now, IronMike84 said:

His pro day 40 time coming out was like a 4.45 or 4.48. I feel like Cam Meredith and Allen Robinson are very similar players. Savvy guys, quicker than fast, same build, same playing style. Not sure whether or not that's a bad thing, but it's very noticeable.

Robinson is thicker and I'd say Meredith has better feet, but yeah they're similar type players in some regards. I think Robinson plays the ball in the air much better. Personally, I'd love to see Watkins and White on the outside with Wilson and/or Meredith in the slot.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Robinson is thicker and I'd say Meredith has better feet, but yeah they're similar type players in some regards. I think Robinson plays the ball in the air much better. Personally, I'd love to see Watkins and White on the outside with Wilson and/or Meredith in the slot.

To play to your suggestion, we know Nagy is going to throw in some college concepts, because a) he said he would, b) KC/PHI/LAR did that last year, and c) Mark Helfrich, and Watkins could be useful in that capacity. Does stuff him into a gadget receiver role though?

Just now, IronMike84 said:

To play to your suggestion, we know Nagy is going to throw in some college concepts, because a) he said he would, b) KC/PHI/LAR did that last year, and c) Mark Helfrich, and Watkins could be useful in that capacity. Does stuff him into a gadget receiver role though?

A little bit, but if you come up and press him he has the strength and savvy to beat you at the LOS and take you deep. If you play off him you can immediately check to a now/smoke route and get a cheap 5 yards (more if he breaks tackles). He's a Ferrari that turns 25 in June, the fact that he only had 70 target last year is criminal. Robert Woods had 5 more targets and missed 4 games. That's insane to me.

Archived