2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Their new GM is talking like he’s going to be active in FA - he’d be able to get a solid vet there too. 

That’s fine. They’ve already wasted a good chunk of Rodgers’ career by giving him zero help and that amuses me to no end. That team should have had at least two more Super Bowl appearances since 2011, but instead it has been “let’s draft sixteen corners oh and by the way Aaron here’s Jeff Janis.”

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Free-agent CB Richard Sherman told @JosinaAnderson that he has received preliminary interest from the Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Bucs and Packers. But 49ers are his first visit, with meetings today.

So much for Moon and the big strike.

Lol Moon might want to consider calling it a career. His reporting is beyond bad.

I mean Howard for Landry and a swap of first round picks? C'mon dude.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Landry trade always seemed like a fall back position for the Bears if they could not and a better WR without having to surrender picks in the process. That being said it was a safety net if free agency did not go well again.

But it is time to make a major move, it is time to close on a big time free agent. You have a 2nd year QB who managed to show promise last season throwing to the worst set of weapons in the NFL, you have a first time HC and a guy who has called 6 games worth of plays. THEY NEED SERIOUS SUPPORT.

I will put my stance down right now, if the Bears fail to land Robinson or Watkins I will look at it as a serious failure on the part of Pace and I think we should all question his ability to land top end free agent talent. The need is there, the resources are there, time to stop shopping in the bargain bin and get some offensive talent to get this thing rolling.

I am done hoping that the 2nd tier B list talent he signs out plays their contract. I do not need to see Trubisky throw one more pass to sun standard or unproven weapons.

I do not care what it costs, I do not care if you have to kidnap one of their mothers, get it done.

There's 31 other teams bruh. Even though the Bears have tons of cap room there are no guarantees they can sign any of these guys due to factors aside from just money. The hope is that Trubisky/Howard/Cohen and a solid defense will be enough of an attraction to lure these guys to sign with Bears but I wouldn't set my expectations too high.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not saying the WR core cannot be better without Robinson and Watkins,

I don’t think it is going to be good. With a young QB and essentially a new play caller I want the best possible WR core that my massive pile of money can buy.

Meredith, Matthews, Wilson and Kirk is better, but far from the best that can be accomplished.

20 other teams have the same goal of upgrading at WR, many of whom are equal or better situations than ours. There are two “top guys” available. Reality is reality. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Free-agent CB Richard Sherman told @JosinaAnderson that he has received preliminary interest from the Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Bucs and Packers. But 49ers are his first visit, with meetings today.

So much for Moon and the big strike.

Guy from California who went to Stanford on the latter half of his career has a desire to play for teams that are either in California near Stanford or are already playoff contenders over playing for a rebuilding team in the Midwest. We should all be SHOCKED! 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Guy from California who went to Stanford on the latter half of his career has a desire to play for teams that are either in California near Stanford or are already playoff contenders over playing for a rebuilding team in the Midwest. We should all be SHOCKED! 

Not shocked by Sherman.

Shocked by how wrong Moon has been this offseason. Bears aren’t even on the list, which I am fine with. Aging, Expensive and Injured is a pass for me.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

There's 31 other teams bruh. Even though the Bears have tons of cap room there are no guarantees they can sign any of these guys due to factors aside from just money. The hope is that Trubisky/Howard/Cohen and a solid defense will be enough of an attraction to lure these guys to sign with Bears but I wouldn't set my expectations too high.

At what point can we raise our expectations?

52 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

At what point can we raise our expectations?

What expectations?  If you are talking about wins/losses i think you should expect a team in the hunt for the playoffs this year.  Thats raising expectations.  If you are talking about FA i dont think you should ever have expectations more than cautiously optimistic.  #1 we never want to be building our team through FA.  Thats not the FO philosophy and its not mine.  #2 While money is important and being competitve in the markets is the first key in signing fas, its not the only factor. There are only a couple top guys at a couple positions every year in FA.  Its simply not realistic that you are going to get the best guy at your highest need position every year.  If i heard that the Bears were lowballing guys i would be concerned, when i hear that we were one of, if not the top bidder for the home run guys we wanted, well what is the FO supposed to do?  They cant force somebody to sign and take the money we offer.  Yes if we are the top bidder chances are we are getting the guy.  Yes i think we are in the best position to land one of Robinson or Watkins.  Doesnt mean its going to happen.  Now if we hear that the Bears didnt really make a play for 1 or both, thats a concern, but not landing either isnt necessarily an indictment of the FO

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

STUPID CHEAP MCCASKEYS 

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What expectations?  If you are talking about wins/losses i think you should expect a team in the hunt for the playoffs this year.  Thats raising expectations.  If you are talking about FA i dont think you should ever have expectations more than cautiously optimistic.  #1 we never want to be building our team through FA.  Thats not the FO philosophy and its not mine.  #2 While money is important and being competitve in the markets is the first key in signing fas, its not the only factor. There are only a couple top guys at a couple positions every year in FA.  Its simply not realistic that you are going to get the best guy at your highest need position every year.  If i heard that the Bears were lowballing guys i would be concerned, when i hear that we were one of, if not the top bidder for the home run guys we wanted, well what is the FO supposed to do?  They cant force somebody to sign and take the money we offer.  Yes if we are the top bidder chances are we are getting the guy.  Yes i think we are in the best position to land one of Robinson or Watkins.  Doesnt mean its going to happen.  Now if we hear that the Bears didnt really make a play for 1 or both, thats a concern, but not landing either isnt necessarily an indictment of the FO

When can we have the expectation that when we pursue a top guy he does not take less money to play elsewhere?

I think Robinson is going to be a key test for the Bears. They are clearly very interested.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Paul Richardson tweets goodbye to Seattle. Lots of media tweeting that he will have a strong market.

Your going to pay a lot for Richardson and his health is a major concern.

No doubt there is value to a guy who can run by people down the field, but you could be tying up a lot of money on IR.

If we miss on the top guys and could get Richardson for 8 or less I would be in, but 10+ couldn’t do it.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

When can we have the expectation that when we pursue a top guy he does not take less money to play elsewhere?

I think Robinson is going to be a key test for the Bears. They are clearly very interested.

At least for this offseason top FA who consider signing here are having to take a leap of faith in Trubisky and Nagy. There’s a lot to sell them on with that but it’s still a projection over guys signing with some of our FA competition. They know what they’re getting into a lot of places and here it’s a best guess. To me that’s why it was key that we get a respected ultra modern innovative offense head coach - it gives us more marketability to these prospective signees and improves our chances of landing those guys IMO. Guys can see what Nagy did in KC with that offense and should want to be a part of that. 

Also, guys aren’t turning us down for 75% of the money for a better situation - they’re getting just a little bit less, and in Bouye’s case when you factor in Florida’s lack of a state tax he may actually be pocketing more there on a lower deal. When you’re talking about $20-30M in guarantees taking 95% for a better situation for you is completely reasonable. It’s all the more reason that the culture change really has to start from the draft, and really why the drafting of what will hopefully be a franchise QB was so important. It’s important because we don’t have recent success to sell.

Archived