Road to the Playoffs: Scoreboard Watching Thread

sp6488

Chargers win
Bills lose
Titans win
Jags win
Chiefs lose

Ravens still very much in control of the #6 spot

Here's a question, who do we cheer for Monday evening?  The Bengals are still technically alive for the WC, but with a Steelers loss, the division would be in play.  Hear me out.  If they were to lose to Cincinnati, they would have a 2-game lead.  If the Ravens beat them the following week, then that would be a one game lead.  They would then have to play the Pats on the following week (I imagine the Pats would be favored).  If we were to end with the same record, given this scenario, then we would take the division with the superior divisional record.

Sure, why not hope for it. I think we are pretty on course for a wild card spot anyway.

I'm kind of peeking ahead to the first round matchup and I'm hoping the Titans take the division since the 6 seed will likely play the winner of the AFC South. I think the Jags are a lot better. Not that I'm scared of the Jags either... as lone as the game is in America. Definitely the stronger team, though, IMO.

8 hours ago, berlin calling said:

KC in full self destruction mode... going to be interesting to see who comes out of that conference. my money is on the Chargers now.

and i'd also prefer the Titans over the Jags, but first things first, go demolish the Steelers at home puh-lease.

chargers winning the division would be best for us. We have tie breaker over oakland, who I think will finish above KC now

If it was up to me, I wouldn't make fun of (or what to call it) something like that, when your own performance and the offense in general has been close to abysmal the entire season.

In a week facing Steelers defense, he might have to stand there again talking about how they have to unleash everything.

I think if we close the season 3-1 we're pretty much assured to be in, but still worth rooting for favorable outcomes in other games, particularly when we aren't on during the early or afternoon slates.

Colts @ Bills - Definitely want the Colts to win here.  It's a long shot, but would likely be the most helpful of any of the results below, with maybe the exception of one.

Raiders @ Chiefs - Probably prefer the Chiefs just because they have been in free-fall, so going 1-3 would indeed be the more beneficial.  Both teams are 6-6, though, so whichever wins, another loses and falls further back in the race.  This one is a bit of a toss-up, but with a guaranteed benefit to the Ravens postseason.

Redskins @ Chargers - Redskins winning here would do us a favor.  I think the Chargers win their division, though, so it's not a huge blow if the Skins win here.  I would argue that this is the second most impactful result for us.

Titans @ Cardinals - Knocking down one of the AFCS teams would be nice, but not necessary.  Getting into the #5 spot could be beneficial. It could possibly screw up our tie breakers, not sure, though.

Seahawks @ Jaguars - Same as above.

Bears @ Bengals - The Bengals would have to run the table (including a win over the Ravens) to be in the playoff picture at this point.  Still, no reason we can't have them almost officially eliminated this week.  Also, them being eliminated might make week 17 an easier proposition.

538 dot com currently has the Ravens as an 85% chance to make the playoffs. 

If we beat the Stillers and they subsequently lose to the Pats, our chances at the division (again per 538) go from 1% to a coin flip (53%).

10 hours ago, sp6488 said:

538 dot com currently has the Ravens as an 85% chance to make the playoffs. 

If we beat the Stillers and they subsequently lose to the Pats, our chances at the division (again per 538) go from 1% to a coin flip (53%).

If we beat the Steelworkers, I believe we'll definitely be dragging our nuts over the AFC. As I said in a thread not too long ago, the Steelers don't scare me at all. While they're a 10-2 team, its one of those "iffy" 10-2. Can't really explain it and I'm not trying to take credit away from them on handling their business, but it just don't scare me this year. They've played from behind a lot this year. But getting those wins undoubtedly is a testament to having, in my opinion, the 3rd best QB in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost, take care of business against the Brownies on Sunday.

With that out of the way...

LAC @ KC - Whoever wins this leads the division, while the other falls to 7-7.  Either result is good for us.  Changes who we would potentially have to face in the WC round potentially, but probably not worth thinking about that at this point because if the preferred opponent wins, then they will look like the tougher opponent following a win most likely.

MIA @ BUF - Definitely want Miami to win this one.  

HOU @ JAX - Not really that impactful, but we would probably rather the Texans win if we had to pick a result.

NE @ PIT - Let's go Pats!

TEN @ SF - Cheering for Jimmy G here.  This would give the Ravens a better shot at the #5 spot and, more importantly, help get them to the front of the playoff pack.

DAL @ OAK - Doubt it ends up mattering, but Dallas winning would completely bury the Raiders w/r/t playoffs.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:24 PM, wackywabbit said:

The Chiefs will (probably) have the tiebreaker over us at 9-7. The only team in the field that would get that tiebreaker over us. We want them to beat the Chargers and take the division.

Good info!  So this one played out as we would have wanted it seems.

Archived