2023 Off-Season Thread: Lillard traded to Bucks!!! Jrue rerouted to Celtics!

11sanchez11

38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Such a dumb trade.  The Nets were in a crunch if anyone offered Cam Johnson a deal which I would have rather have done, and instead we give them the space to be able to match any deal now.  What are we doing?  Always have cap space, always blow it on something stupid.  So we have more now next year, cool story but we also will just spend it on keeping James Wiseman and signing more trash role players.  

i'm not saying this is what will happen because troy has never figured out how to appropriately use cap space but they can pretty easily open up the same amount of space harris just took up by trading bojan or get even more by trading bagley and burks

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

but obviously unless there are already planned second and third follow up moves, this should've been a "oh you matched cam and now you desperately want to get out of the tax? ok we'll take harris and a couple 2nds" type of move

If they are in a bind to match Cam or lose him and are under a time crunch, we better get a lot more than a couple seconds 4 years from now.  

46 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i'm not saying this is what will happen because troy has never figured out how to appropriately use cap space but they can pretty easily open up the same amount of space harris just took up by trading bojan or get even more by trading bagley and burks

I get that but is Harris any better than Bojan?  He is a little younger and expiring but Bojan only had one more year, and he scored 20 a game for us last year.  I just don't see how this benefits us in anyway tbh.  Even if we make another move that would mean we could have made another move and had 45M in space available.  Harris is just not a positive to the team at this point in his career and taking him on for a couple 2nd round picks in 2029 is stupid.  

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get that but is Harris any better than Bojan?  He is a little younger and expiring but Bojan only had one more year, and he scored 20 a game for us last year.  I just don't see how this benefits us in anyway tbh.  Even if we make another move that would mean we could have made another move and had 45M in space available.  Harris is just not a positive to the team at this point in his career and taking him on for a couple 2nd round picks in 2029 is stupid.  

he's not better than bojan, but they're not going to play the same role. creating even more cap space than they originally had doesn't really help in any meaningful way unless you want them to do what houston is probably headed for and overpay two guys just to hit the salary floor

they're going to have to make more trades because this just exacerbated the problem of "how the hell are you going to fit all of these guys in the rotation?" hypothetically even if they get rid of bojan for cap space and aren't able to sign cam, they'd probably start cade, ivey, ausar, stewart, and duren, but they'd have 3 bench guards for two spots, 2 bench 3s for one spot, and still a complete cluster**** of a front court. and they'd still have to acquire another player just to hit the floor

6 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

he's not better than bojan, but they're not going to play the same role. creating even more cap space than they originally had doesn't really help in any meaningful way unless you want them to do what houston is probably headed for and overpay two guys just to hit the salary floor

they're going to have to make more trades because this just exacerbated the problem of "how the hell are you going to fit all of these guys in the rotation?" hypothetically even if they get rid of bojan for cap space and aren't able to sign cam, they'd probably start cade, ivey, ausar, stewart, and duren, but they'd have 3 bench guards for two spots, 2 bench 3s for one spot, and still a complete cluster**** of a front court. and they'd still have to acquire another player just to hit the floor

I get the first part, just saying whats the point of bringing in Harris either way.  Even if they move Bojan and one of the bigs, we still are not any better, in fact worse, with Harris and his 19M.  Its literally just a waste of cap space for no reason at all other than two future 2nd round picks.  I don't see a way to spin this to have it make sense. 

And I get that trading Bojan without getting Harris means we have to overpay to hit the floor, but then dont trade Bojan because it makes the team worse. And why not overpay someone/a couple someone's who can help instead of overpaying Harris and helping the Nets out for nothing?   

Another thing it could mean is that we have enough space to take on a disgruntled star looking to move out of their situation.  Things can change quickly in the NBA and being ready for that makes more sense than just filling up roster spots with guys who will play 10 mins a game. 

The only positive if we also move Bojan is that we free up space in 2024.  But that also signals to the guys on the team that you don't think we are ready to compete now when you make moves that make us a worse team.  Just doesnt make any sense to me. Had to be better options with teams trying to cut salary, especially given the fact that Detroit can't sign free agents of value and getting them through trade is the best option. 

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I get the first part, just saying whats the point of bringing in Harris either way.  Even if they move Bojan and one of the bigs, we still are not any better, in fact worse, with Harris and his 19M.  Its literally just a waste of cap space for no reason at all other than two future 2nd round picks.  I don't see a way to spin this to have it make sense. 

And I get that trading Bojan without getting Harris means we have to overpay to hit the floor, but then dont trade Bojan because it makes the team worse. And why not overpay someone/a couple someone's who can help instead of overpaying Harris and helping the Nets out for nothing?   

Another thing it could mean is that we have enough space to take on a disgruntled star looking to move out of their situation.  Things can change quickly in the NBA and being ready for that makes more sense than just filling up roster spots with guys who will play 10 mins a game. 

The only positive if we also move Bojan is that we free up space in 2024.  But that also signals to the guys on the team that you don't think we are ready to compete now when you make moves that make us a worse team.  Just doesnt make any sense to me. Had to be better options with teams trying to cut salary, especially given the fact that Detroit can't sign free agents of value and getting them through trade is the best option. 

you're right. in a vacuum it's a terrible use of the cap space. and they shouldn't move bojan unless they find someone who can actually make the team better. i'm just honestly not putting any mental energy into dissecting it until we find out what the followups are and we have a better idea of what the actual roster could look like

now there's a 65% chance this was troy's big offseason plan and that's it and he still has less than 0 idea that you can have guys who are both above average shooters and defenders or that you really, really need those guys to build a good team