Where do you rank Quandre Diggs among current Safeties?

AFlaccoSeagulls

Diggs has never made the Top-10 Safeties list in ESPN's survey of coaches, execs, scouts, etc. since 2020. Here's how he feels about that:

Where do you rank him? I feel like he's undoubtedly top 10. According to ESPN here's the current list of top 10 safeties:

1.) Minkah Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Steelers
2.) Derwin James Jr, Los Angeles Chargers
3.) Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos
4.) Budda Baker, Arizona Cardinals
5.) Jevon Holland, Miami Dolphins
6.) Jessie Bates III, Atlanta Falcons
7.) Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans
8.) C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Detroit Lions
9.) Talanoa Hufanga, San Francisco 49ers
10.) Antoine Winfield Jr, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Personally, I would take Diggs over the following guys:

• Holland
  • Byard
  • CJGJ
  • Hufanga
  • Winfield Jr.

and then arguably maybe over Simmons and Bates as well.

Not to mention I would even take Marcus Williams over most of those guys too. Interested in hearing thoughts on this.

Safety is at a weird spot. A lot of the dominant players are in the very late stages of their careers or have already retired (Harrison Smith, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Devin McCourty, Tyrann Mathieu). Most of the new faces are early where you may want to see a bit more/them come back from injuries (Winfield, Dugger, Holland, Hufanga, Cisco).

James, Minkah, Bates, Byard, Baker, CGJ, and Simmons definitely represent the crème of the crop, IMO. Might be missing a name or two, but there’s a gap after them in terms of resume + level of play. After that you start weighing, what’s more important? Short term play + future upside, or resume? If it’s resume, then you have to put guys like Poyer or Mathieu higher. If you’re weighing expectations (“who you want going forward”), then Winfield, Holland, and Hufanga need to be much higher. 

Plus, not all these guys are used remotely the same. Minkah vs Hufanga defensive responsibilities are massively different, even though they’re both safeties.

Any Top X list will almost undoubtedly have more players with legitimate arguments than there are spots.

A quote like "Everybody on that list deserve to be on there" while complaining you aren't doesn't work. There are only 10 spots, if you are going to complain you aren't there you have to knock someone else off. Could you argue him above some on the list? Absolutely. Is it clear that he is? No.

Frankly safety lists are nearly impossible to make without ticking someone off because you have about the most diversity in responsibilities. 

• Like 1

I'm confident with a decent amount of position rankings. But safety? No idea, honestly. And I would expect there are very few that actually could make a genuinely informed list for that. I know vaguely who is good and who isn't, but actually separating guy #7 from guy #12, I would be lying if I said I knew.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Diggs has never made the Top-10 Safeties list in ESPN's survey of coaches, execs, scouts, etc. since 2020. Here's how he feels about that:

Where do you rank him? I feel like he's undoubtedly top 10. According to ESPN here's the current list of top 10 safeties:

Personally, I would take Diggs over the following guys:

• Holland
  • Byard
  • CJGJ
  • Hufanga
  • Winfield Jr.

and then arguably maybe over Simmons and Bates as well.

Not to mention I would even take Marcus Williams over most of those guys too. Interested in hearing thoughts on this.

I’m a huge Byard fan and think he’s legit Top 5 if not higher. I’d take him above the other 4 though.