Training Camp General Discussion

AZBearsFan

59 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Davis and Jenkins being out with unknown injuries is killing my good vibes today.  

I’ll start to worry if we get to the end of the preseason and they’re still down. Our first game still isn’t for 37 days, and the goal is to be ready for that. If there’s something small then take care of that now and don’t have it linger into the season. The lack of any kind of FA move in response to their absence to this point is suggestive to me that these aren’t big concern type injuries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/13/titans-mike-vrabel-hates-bears-nate-davis/

Maybe Nate Davis' past regarding his questionable work ethic has went from questionable to **** now that he's been paid

Vrabel has not been shy about blaming player injuries on a lack of work in the offseason, so maybe Davis, who has missed eight games the past two years, falls under that umbrella.

“I don’t mean it’s all on the player; there’s just some responsibility that you take that your profession pretty much relies on your body and your health,” he said in November. “We try to coach everything that we can talking about routines and trying to find veteran players that have really good routines and look at their career. Like Kevin Byard, how has his career gone and what kind of career has he had? So that some of the young DBs may want to emulate that routine.”

Me: I suspect the feeling is mutual.  G. Braggs was talking with Davis and he said he asked Davis how he felt about CHI vs. TN.   Don't remember exact quote, but Davis indicated he really didn't like playing for TN.  I think he said Night and Day or something like that.

Edited by dll2000

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll start to worry if we get to the end of the preseason and they’re still down. Our first game still isn’t for 37 days, and the goal is to be ready for that. If there’s something small then take care of that now and don’t have it linger into the season. The lack of any kind of FA move in response to their absence to this point is suggestive to me that these aren’t big concern type injuries.

Yes.  Agreed.  Not time to panic.  It is what it is in any event.

It will be next man up if and when necessary.  

30 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

You mean this isn't you?

That was his work.  But it was a good bit.

I get to spend day hounding people to call or email me back so I can get items checked off a list for other people.   

No one answers a phone anymore.   My work day would only probably be about 2 - 3 hours if people just answered their phone when I called or returned an email within 24 hours.

And I would get to go to Bears practice.   Instead when they do call or email it is at 6 p.m.  right after I gave up and went home at about 5:55.  Then they don't give me what I needed or asked for and I have to start whole process over next day.   

Ah well.  Count my blessings.  

5 hours ago, rlon said:

I’ll admit that the Walker and Williams analogies were off…after all, unlike Claypool, they were actually good football players. Terrible comparison…32nd pick is essentially a first rounder though.

Let’s stop pretending Claypool hasn’t shown himself to be a starting caliber NFL WR. In both 2020 and 2021 he was the 2nd leading receiver for a Steelers team that passed for 4000+ yards in both seasons, and once he didn’t have Trubisky throwing to him in 2022 he was producing similarly pre-trade. He was 29th amongst all WRs in receiving yards in 2020, and 31st in 2021. Nobody is saying he’s a star, and because of his HWS an argument is certainly there that maybe he can be more than he has been to date, but he’s certainly proven to be capable at this juncture, and capable represented a massive upgrade over ESB and Pettis.

By contrast, here’s what has come out of the past 10 drafts from the top WR drafted starting from pick 32 in each respective draft:

2022 Christian Watson (34)

2021 Elijah Moore (34)

2020 Tee Higgins (33)

2019 N’Keal Harry (32)

2018 Courtland Sutton (40)

2017 Zay Jones (37)

2016 Sterling Shepard (40)

2015 Devin Smith (37)

2014 Marqise Lee (39)

2013 Justin Hunter (34)

Outside of Higgins, have any of those guys been objectively better than Claypool as a pro? Sutton had 1112 yards in 2019 but has only eclipsed 800 yards once in his other 4 seasons. Watson flashed the second half of last year but not as much as Claypool did as a rookie. It’s not an exact science way to look at it, but these are the caliber WRs that teams have been landing with the late 1/early 2 pick we had to give up to get Claypool. Odds were that Claypool was going to be a better player than whatever WR they would take with the pick had they not made the trade so long as Claypool can play to his PIT level of play. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1