Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MOSteelers56

Shazier Injury News

Recommended Posts

I thought this might be a good idea, instead of everyone talking about Shazier in different topics. 

Apparently Shazier is not out of the woods yet and the optimism of last night might need to be tempered a bit.

  Quote

Last night’s encouraging update from the Steelers omitted reference to the question of whether linebacker Ryan Shazier has movement or feeling in his legs. Apparently, he’s not yet where he needs to be regarding that critical aspect of his overall recovery.

  Quote

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Shaizer “has some movement in his lower extremities.” Per Rapoport, “the next 24-48 hours are key for increased improvement.”

This implies that there has indeed been some type of spinal-cord injury that has limited full use of his legs, at least for now. Here’s hoping that improvement will continue, and that Shazier will fully and completely recover.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/ryan-shazier-has-some-movement-in-lower-extremities/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Via Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, Shaizer “has some movement in his lower extremities.” Per Rapoport, “the next 24-48 hours are key for increased improvement.”

I'm sorry, but I can't take medical updates from Crappaport.  The PFT article quotes him I think. 

Wait and see...  wait and see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm sorry, but I can't take medical updates from Crappaport.  The PFT article quotes him I think. 

Wait and see...  wait and see.  

According to Mike Mitchell, they talked on the phone and Shazier seemed to be in good spirits. I saw that on the depot.

I'm still kind of sick about this. I just hope he's ok. I've never really seen a life altering injury like this in my NFL viewing career. I mean concussions are horrible, but at least you don't see them affect someone immediately typically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to Mike Mitchell, they talked on the phone and Shazier seemed to be in good spirits. I saw that on the depot.

I'm still kind of sick about this. I just hope he's ok. I've never really seen a life altering injury like this in my NFL viewing career. I mean concussions are horrible, but at least you don't see them affect someone immediately typically.

It seems like no one knows for sure what the status is other than it's not definitively bad news.   Glad he is in good spirits. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be looking for 2 ILBs going forward since Shazier may never play again and Williams is just meh.  Really not sure why anyone is excited for Spence.  He is JAG.   

Not trying to sound insensitive, because his health is first and foremost, but the team will go on, even if he cant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bear in mind that all of the following is with the highest of hopes Shaz can be back 100%...

Not the best draft for 3-4 ILB needs. To no one's surprise, there are no prospects that match Shazier's skill set. UGA Smith is prolly the closest thing in this year's draft but he's a top 10 pick and while fast for an ILB he's not where near Shaz's speed. FWIW: I don't think you need 4.32 speed from your ILB to get to the sidelines. 4.6 will do. If that player had more coverage responsibilities the speed would be beneficial. But they don't use Shaz like that. In the end, I'm hopeful Shazier makes a full recovery and the only ILB spots we need to fill are VWs and 2nd string. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Might be looking for 2 ILBs going forward since Shazier may never play again and Williams is just meh.  Really not sure why anyone is excited for Spence.  He is JAG.   

Not trying to sound insensitive, because his health is first and foremost, but the team will go on, even if he cant

Short answer: Not gonna happen.

 

Longer answer:  Replacing both ILB's in one offseason is a risky proposition.  That means not just finding 2 guys who can play, but also getting a guy who can pick up the defense, know the defense, know the adjustments, and make the calls both on the field and as they come in. The LB crop in both the draft a FA is dreadful.  So the best bet is a 2nd/3rd round pick, let Williams have the green sticker (if Shazier is done), and use the season to train the pick on how to call everything and let him learn on the job.  Then you could use 2019 draft to replace Williams, when his contract is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

 

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

That's debatable but he's a 2 down thumper. Can you imagine him taking Shazier's spot? It wouldn't be pretty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

 

That's debatable but he's a 2 down thumper. Can you imagine him taking Shazier's spot? It wouldn't be pretty.

He played Shazier's spot during his own rookie year. Granted it wasn't as good as Shazier but he held his own. Williams is solid enough for a starter. He makes plays and his attitude helps fire up the defense. I'm not debating the need for an ILB, I just think going after two is unrealistic and, honestly, not that smart of a decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

 

That's debatable but he's a 2 down thumper. Can you imagine him taking Shazier's spot? It wouldn't be pretty.

Despite Shazier's exceptional speed, he's not the greatest guy in coverage.  Why he's not a safety.  VW has been solid and brought a lot to the table.  I'm not ready to ship him out just yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone is talking about replacing Williams. He's been pretty solid for us. Obviously he's not Shazier but he gets his job done.

I agree. He's made some mistakes but ranks second on the team in tackles and sacks plus he has a cheap contract. I gladly take that for the Steelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I agree. He's made some mistakes but ranks second on the team in tackles and sacks plus he has a cheap contract. I gladly take that for the Steelers.

Plus he brings a brand of physicality that we need our defense to feed off of.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×