SF trades QB Trey Lance to DAL for 4th rd pick

Broncofan

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it's crazy to think that Lance could be that guy.

I do. I think the chances are extraordinarily low. If there was even a chance Lance could be that guy he would still be a Niner.

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's barely thrown 100 passes at the NFL level, only 500 since high school. At some point, you kind of have to play, and experience is the great tutor. That's why  II advocate for guys like Richardson to play immediately. Instances where you don't play that guy should be rare. That's when we see players get better - when they play. We see these crazy jumps from guys like Allen, Hurts, or hell, maybe even Justin Fields in the back end of last year. I don't expect Trey Lance to become a good NFL QB at this point, just realistically speaking, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Hell, he was still younger than half the QBs that were drafted this year. I find it weird when people simply close the door on that possibility given how little he has played. Again, don't think its likely, but if you're going to take these sort of shots, take it at the most important position in all of sports. 

I don't disagree he needs to play, but he needs to earn that right too, and where's that opportunity on Dallas? Because he's not going to play this year, and Dallas isn't going to put their eggs in Lance's basket for 2024 with zero playing time. Feels like a pipe dream.

23 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I do. I think the chances are extraordinarily low. If there was even a chance Lance could be that guy he would still be a Niner.

He asked for a trade and the 49ers have their QB. I think people don't realize how in on Brock Purdy Shanahan is. It'll be his career defining decision as the 49er head coach. Its pretty seismic.  There was really no reason to keep him and upset him. Especially in an offense not designed for him. Are the chances low? Sure. But there's no harm in taking the shot. 

People can't use the 49ers evaluation of Lance as a point of reference with how good or bad Lance is without acknowledging that it was this very same group who evaluated him to be worth 3 first round picks 2 years ago and evaluated him to be good enough to start and give a super bowl caliber team to last year. It either all matters, or none of it does. Are they right now, or were they right then? 

23 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't disagree he needs to play, but he needs to earn that right too, and where's that opportunity on Dallas? Because he's not going to play this year, and Dallas isn't going to put their eggs in Lance's basket for 2024 with zero playing time. Feels like a pipe dream.

We are talking about 2025 (Dak is under contract in 2024). So worse case scenario is that you gave up a late 4th round pick for a backup QB for the next two years. It's just not a thing to really be all that concerned with. You're throwing a dart at upside. If he is nothing more than that, its not exactly an egregious use of a day 3 pick, especially since he does have the upside to be more. And in 2 years, when he's 25 years old and Dak is potentially no longer there, they have two years of him on the roster to see if maybe they do want to give him that shot to play. The cowboys once drafted a QB in the 4th round named Isaiah Stanback. People are acting like this is a bigger deal than it is because of the name Trey Lance and how he was drafted two year ago when in actuality, this trade is more like the eagles Gardner Minshew trade or Case Keenum or whatever. It's just not a thing that really needs to be thought about, tbh. 

The biggest impetus to this really has nothing to do with Trey Lance and has more to do with Mike McCarthy who has a reasonable shot at not being there in 2025. Then you're just putting the entire mess in a blender and spitting out what's left, which may be no QB currently on the roster. 

• Like 2