SF trades QB Trey Lance to DAL for 4th rd pick

Broncofan

14 minutes ago, viking said:

Because he's bad?

You know he missed last year because of injury, right? He got hurt in second game of the season. 

He's had major problems staying healthy, which is definitely a concern. 

I don't know if Lance ultimately will be any good, and realistically I think that ship may have sailed, but "he's barely played because he's bad" isn't really accurate

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, viking said:

Because he's bad?

He was hurt and barely was on the field. I am not saying he is good because honestly the sample size is too small. He no worse than Darnold. Way more upside. He gets to start fresh and learn from a different style of coach and a new system. We shall see what comes from it.

• Like 1

It's worth a flier! The only way he sees the field in the next TWO seasons with Daks 2024 cap hit is via Injury.

So I'm curious how they handle 2025 without Lance seeing significant playing time if that occurs, seriously?

You have Daks ridiculous salary?

You have Lance who has barely played in 4 years by that time but forced to pick up his 5th year option?

I guess watching him in 2 years worth of practices answers that dilemma assuming of course he's even smart enough to beat of Cooper Rush in the coming months?

3 hours ago, Sad People said:

I also thought ive heard that Shanny wanted Mac instead of Trey but Lynch had the final say and wanted Lance instead. Is this true or am i getting it twisted?

I thought Lynch wanted Justin Fields and the Mac Jones stuff was all a smokescreen.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think if there's recrimination to be had here it's less about "they picked a QB and it didn't work out" since that's a thing that happens.  I think the huge trade-up is the less forgivable error.  Remember that the trade happened in March, fully two months before the draft; they didn't even know which QB was going to be available at #3. Like if the Jets took Lance at 2, were they going to take Zach Wilson?  It's not fair, but with hindsight you could have had Mac Jones if you sat at #12, or at least a much more modest move up.

Like situations where teams trade that much of a haul for one guy are exceedingly rare (I think the last time it happened was the WFT moving up for RG3), so I think there are valid questions about the process.

Terrible process. Absolutely jacked tbh 😂

Like there are QBs who you can justify investing 3 firsts and a 3rd into acquiring, there was even one in 2021 (Trevor Lawrence, but nobody was getting that pick from the Jags).  But just investing in the idea "we need a QB, so let's move up high enough to get the 2nd or 3rd QB since on average that guy is probably good" so much that you actually do it like 2 weeks after the combine is a truly bizarre process.

Some years "you got the third QB" is going to get you Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, or Deshaun Watson.  Some years it's going to get you Dwayne Haskins, Paxton Lynch, or Blaine Gabbert.  As an NFL scouting professional you should be able to tell the difference between these guys, and you're allowed up until the end of April to finish your evaluations.  Depending on the year the correct evaluation of the QB class might be "the 3rd QB is going to be a star", or "the 3rd QB is a guy we'd consider if he falls to our pick" or even "the 3rd QB is a backup/journeyman type".

Edited by PossibleCabbage
formatting
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

The same thing a rich glorious history of USC failed FQB in the NFL (outside of Carson Palmer.)

Here's hoping Fields is that for OSU 🍺

All irrelevant, just like your obsession with Hurts not winning MVP last season so the Eagles could win the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

He is probably wrong, Shanahan and Lynch are piss poor QB talent evaluators. 

I'm not even sure Lynch evaluates guys, tbh. He builds a board, but as we've seen, it ultimately doesn't mean anything if shanny doesn't want it to. So maybe Lynch wanted him and he just never puts his opinion out there. He said right off in 2021 that he was hands off about the whole decision

We never really hear about guys that Lynch really wants tbh. Maybe he does and we just don't hear about it though. I'm trying to think of a time where I can remember hearing something like "Lynch pounded the table for drafting so and so". When they do things like the combine/ pro days in the past, my understanding is that Lynch kind of just runs the pr circuit and guys like Peters, Waugh and Ahmad (now) run the show. He doesn't even handle all the trades and he doesn't handle contract negotiations. From what I've seen, it's typically shanny, Peters, and previously, Ethan Waugh, who really drive picks. Some of the other coaches have been big parts (Bobby Turner wanted Trey sermon, demeco wanted dre Greenlaw). 

Shanny has been pretty upfront that the pick was always Mac or Lance (see "I am athlete" podcast).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm not even sure Lynch evaluates guys, tbh. He builds a board, but as we've seen, it ultimately doesn't mean anything if shanny doesn't want it to. So maybe Lynch wanted him and he just never puts his opinion out there. He said right off in 2021 that he was hands off about the whole decision

We never really hear about guys that Lynch really wants tbh. Maybe he does and we just don't hear about it though. I'm trying to think of a time where I can remember hearing something like "Lynch pounded the table for drafting so and so". When they do things like the combine/ pro days in the past, my understanding is that Lynch kind of just runs the pr circuit and guys like Peters, Waugh and Ahmad (now) run the show. He doesn't even handle all the trades and he doesn't handle contract negotiations. From what I've seen, it's typically shanny, Peters, and previously, Ethan Waugh, who really drive picks. Some of the other coaches have been big parts (Bobby Turner wanted Trey sermon, demeco wanted dre Greenlaw). 

Shanny has been pretty upfront that the pick was always Mac or Lance (see "I am athlete" podcast).

Should've just kept the GOAT, Jimmy G.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ACO said:

He was hurt and barely was on the field. I am not saying he is good because honestly the sample size is too small. He no worse than Darnold. Way more upside. He gets to start fresh and learn from a different style of coach and a new system. We shall see what comes from it.

The 49ers certainly don't think this. 

John Lynch:  "Really hard day. Such a wonderful young man. We took a shot and it didn't work out. We own that, we take accountability for it."

"His story is still very much unwritten. I'm excited for Trey. Dallas stepped up and really wanted him and they came after him. I think it's going to be a great landing spot for him. I can tell everybody it wasn't for lack of effort -- on Trey's part of our part -- that it didn't work. Circumstances took hold. He struggled through injuries. This team is ready to win, and we like our quarterback room. We like Brock Purdy a lot, we like Sam Darnold and we like Brandon Allen. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trey-lance-trade-49ers-wanted-to-send-qb-to-afc-before-deal-with-cowboys-passed-on-bills-offer-per-reports/?fbclid=IwAR3o1n3pSBGmTyKc-vJEIUPYEekMuudQF4Kl4xINEwww3TkDruyjsVrjDNU