SF trades QB Trey Lance to DAL for 4th rd pick

Broncofan

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Dallas doesn't have Kellen Moore anymore. Who is going to be good for Lance's development there? And a 4th is insanely high for a guy who just hasn't played any football. 

Seems like a win for the 49ers and a head scratcher for the Cowboys. 

Cowboys betting on themselves here.   They likely believe that 4th will be a late one and that Lance has enough upside that its worth it and a change of scenery might help.

Most 4th rounders dont amount to much.   I don't think its that bad of a swap.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Im guessing something isnt going right in the practices because it makes no sense otherwise to trade him when the QBs are the roster are so cheap

Supposedly hadb shown significant improvement in tc, and the press line Jack Hammer said he should have been QB 2. Kawakami said if he and Darnold were battling for starting QB gig instead of backup, they probably would have went with Lance. 

I think that Lance fell into shanny's doghouse because he wasn't what shanny expected and that was that. They missed the eval. They thought he was the most pro ready QB in the draft (not a joke... Edit- I think they said more pro ready than Mac though, not most pro ready overall .... Would have to find the schefty clip) and an athletic freak and when he wasn't either of those, I think shanny was pretty out on him

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

Cowboys betting on themselves here.   They likely believe that 4th will be a late one and that Lance has enough upside that its worth it and a change of scenery might help.

Most 4th rounders dont amount to much.   I don't think its that bad of a swap.

Dak the QB is a 4th. 

Pat's got Moss for a 4th 

We got Cooper for a 5th.

4s and 5s ain't nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Dak the QB is a 4th. 

Pat's got Moss for a 4th 

We got Cooper for a 5th.

4s and 5s ain't nothing. 

Yeah....if you ignore all the other data, thats a pretty good argument.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Given the cost they paid to get him, absolutely in the running for worst pick ever. You can maybe try and smooth it out by saying "but yeah, those picks were both like #29 in the round", but its still three firsts. 

RG3 had a comparable cost but at least they got one banger year. 

Bryce Young had a similar cost (DJ moore in lieu of the third first round pick), but at least they are going to find out on Young. That's kind of the real crime here on the 49ers here - they still have no idea what they just traded. 

That said, not the worst trade in 49er history, which is impressive. They once gave up the #1 overall pick for OJ Simpson. 

I still laugh to see what teams used to give up for a Runningback.

I heard this one time a team traded so much that they basically built a dynasty for their trade partner...crazy😅😅

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Dak the QB is a 4th. 

Pat's got Moss for a 4th 

We got Cooper for a 5th.

4s and 5s ain't nothing. 

You got Cooper for a 5th cause Dallas didn't want him anymore. Other teams likely don't make that deal. And Dak for a 4th was just pure luck. Most 4th and 5th don't work out. Some obviously do but the odds are not great.

So yeah I would take a chance on a young QB who was drafted high. 

Edited by ACO

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

It just shows that they are not worth nothing.

And especially when you stock pile them.

Plenty of good backup and good sters are found in these round to.

Im not saying they aren't worth anything.   But, IN MOST CASES, 4th rounders dont amount to much.   Draft picks are always a gamble, and if Cowboys see enough in him, I dont think a 4 is that bad.   Lance is only 23 with elite physical tools.   I dont think much comes of it, but I doubt they lose sleep over losing a 4th, even if he doesn't do much.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills apparently made an offer too. Would have liked to see him come in as QB2.

I considered the bills as a good destination too. I think that would have been good for him. 

Clearly the niners just wanted the best offer and don't care about what was good for Trey because he's just as blocked in Dallas as he is in SF lol 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I considered the bills as a good destination too. I think that would have been good for him. 

Clearly the niners just wanted the best offer and don't care about what was good for Trey because he's just as blocked in Dallas as he is in SF lol 

yeah, SF likely took the best offer vs what was best for Lance's development