SF trades QB Trey Lance to DAL for 4th rd pick

Broncofan

8 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

It not about him sucking its about him just not getting the job done. The Cowboys havent been to the NFCCG in what 27 years. You know how Jerry felt about giving Dak that contract. Dak has to produce. And the last postseason was squarely on Dak. The defense played more than well enough to win but Dak cost them. If Dak cant get them over the hump especially if he cost them again then Lance is that pressure. Rush was never a real threat but Lance could be. I know some if not alot of the media tried to act like Rush was a threat. The media will definitely push the Lance need to be in there if Dak doesnt get the Cowboys over the hump. Definitely wont be this season but next season at some point definitely. And Jerry can get rid of Dak and easily say we have a guy with more talent, a higher upside, a top 3 pick, a cheaper deal, etc... to justify moving on from Dak

Trey was outplayed by Sam Donald. No one will be asking for Trey to be put in this year. But I do agree that we know that his floor is.... if he can even become a decent back up then it was a successful trade. Cowboys are trying to protect themselves but Dak has zero concern right now.

1 minute ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I mean all media noise aside, Lynch and Shanny either keep their jobs or lose it depending on Purdy. Most likely anyway 

Depends. If Purdy is Jimmy g, which is a harder bar to clear (in a vacuum) than people think but a perfectly reasonable expectation based on his limited sample last year, the team will mostly be okay with the current personnel. But once the vets start going over the next three years we are going to find out a lot. A bunch of good to great talent walking soon. 

This year I'm mostly just concerned about injury derailing the season (especially with Bosa holdout given that injuries seem to follow). Otherwise, they will make the playoffs, maybe win a game before getting bounced

20 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The irony of Kyle trading up to pick Lance to replace Jimmy G and then giving the keys of the kingdom to Purdy who looks like a cheaper Jimmy is not lost on me. Sure it is possible Purdy grows into a much better QB going forward, but man is this whole situation just really funny.

Not to pile on the 49ers because I like their people on here, but that is a whooooole lotta trust in a guy with a whopping 7 games experience who wasn't touted as being a overly talented player given his draft selection.

What's the saying...'they dont have tape on him yet'

Regardless, a large part of me wonders why they didn't just stick with Jimmy until their lover boy Kirk was a FA. One in the hand, two in the bush.

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not to pile on the 49ers because I like their people on here, but that is a whooooole lotta trust in a guy with a whopping 7 games experience who wasn't touted as being a overly talented player given his draft selection.

Regardless, a large part of me wonders why they didn't just stick with Jimmy until their lover boy Kirk was a FA. One in the hand, two in the bush.

No sir...a lot of faith in Brock Purdy *and* Sam Darnold! What could go wrong!?

To be serious though, I think most people in here are pretty measured about it. My expectation is that with this roster, Purdy will be fine. Very Jimmy g like. I don't know if he is or ever will be a top 15 starter in the league though. If he craters, I wouldn't be surprised but not my expectation just given the talent surrounding him. 

This is the regime that made Jimmy G the highest paid player in the NFL after five games, so kind of on brand

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

They had to get rid of him to avoid any sort of QB drama. It was a smart move to offload him when they did.

57 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

One of the worst trades in recent memory.

UFFDA

Should be noted that they had to throw in a substantial amount of their own draft capital in addition to the haul we got them

On 8/14/2023 at 10:31 AM, jonnguy2015 said:

Full trade summary, if anyone is curious:

• Dolphins trades #3 to the 49ers for #12, a 2022 1st(#29), 2022 3rd(#102), and 2023 1st(#29)
    • #12 as well as a 4th(#123) and a 2022 1st(#15) are traded to the Eagles for #6 and a 5th(#156)
      • #6 is used to draft WR Jaylen Waddle
      • #156 is traded to the Steelers for a 2022 4th(#125), which is used to draft WR Erik Ezukanma
    • #29 in 2022 as well as a 2nd(#50), 4th(#121), 2023 4th(#122), and 2023 6th(#178) is traded to the Chiefs for WR Tyreek Hill
    • #102 in 2022 is used to draft LB Channing Tindall
    • #29 in 2023 as well as a 2024 4th and RB Chase Edmonds is traded to the Broncos for LB Bradley Chubb and a 2025 5th

So the Dolphins did end up having to trade away another 1st, a 2nd, and three 4ths(counting the 4ths in the Waddle/Ezukanma trades and the 2023 6th/2025 5th in the Hill/Chubb trades as each having roughly the same value) in addition to their haul from the 49ers, but yeah, looking like a pretty lopsided trade with retrospect