SF trades QB Trey Lance to DAL for 4th rd pick

Broncofan

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its kind of a chicken/egg scenario though. Small sample but the sample has been small and seen as not getting better because he’s looked so bad too. Has to be the worst trade i can remember in a long time

He hasn't looked "so bad" though. He was perfectly fine against Houston after a slow start in his rookie year. 

The other two games he started and finished were his first ever start (against a team that actually had one of the better defenses 0in the league at that point) and the monsoon against chicago. 

I mean, that's the sample you're working on  in game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given the cost they paid to get him, absolutely in the running for worst pick ever. You can maybe try and smooth it out by saying "but yeah, those picks were both like #29 in the round", but its still three firsts. 

RG3 had a comparable cost but at least they got one banger year. 

Bryce Young had a similar cost (DJ moore in lieu of the third first round pick), but at least they are going to find out on Young. That's kind of the real crime here on the 49ers here - they still have no idea what they just traded. 

That said, not the worst trade in 49er history, which is impressive. They once gave up the #1 overall pick for OJ Simpson. 

I know he got injured but it's so weird to trade a guy without ever really giving him a chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know if Lance is any good or he will be any good. 

But I think it's impossible to know based on this sample. 

keep in mind that in those 8 games, that's like garbage time against Jags (hand off and two kneel downs), one pass against Detroit I think and 1 run against Green Bay. One of those games was in a monsoon and another he got hurt on the second series of the game. 

Yep. I think it was pretty obvious his confidence was shot to hell. He needed a to go somewhere else where the pressure wasn't there. He is sitting behind two QBs, one the clear face of the franchise and he knows all he has to do is learn. Low risk, high reward if he can actually turn it around. Dak is 30 and his price tag is only getting higher. Dallas clearly wants Dak to be their man and if Trey can become a solid 2... than that is a win.

So I was just thinking about this and maybe its nothing…but what does Dak think about the trade? The reason I ask this is because if the Cowboys had traded a 5th, 6th, or 7th then I don’t think anyone really blinks an eye at it, if they were to have traded a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd then the obvious question (outside of the Cowboys being a surprise team to begin with) is are they looking to replace Dak in a few years? The 4th round pick is such middle ground, that does Dak just go ok whatever or does he start to have some questions?

I know he has his contract and all that good stuff for now, but man the 4th pick is such a middle ground type return that I think it has to raise some questions (long term). On the flip side Carson Wentz got a lot in return so I may just be overthinking this lol 

4 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

They got a 4th for him? And why exactly does Dallas even want him? There is no chance that he is a better backup this year than Rush.

This is just a really bizarre trade for Dallas and what a terrible use of resources drafting Lance was for the Niners.

Rush is only on contract for another year. I think they want a younger QB. Will Grier just never became it and they want to see if they can fix Trey. Honestly I get it even if I don't really think it was needed. A 4th is whatever for a young QB if think there is a chance at being something. 

1 minute ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

So I was just thinking about this and maybe its nothing…but what does Dak think about the trade? The reason I ask this is because if the Cowboys had traded a 5th, 6th, or 7th then I don’t think anyone really blinks an eye at it, if they were to have traded a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd then the obvious question (outside of the Cowboys being a surprise team to begin with) is are they looking to replace Dak in a few years? The 4th round pick is such middle ground, that does Dak just go ok whatever or does he start to have some questions?

I know he has his contract and all that good stuff for now, but man the 4th pick is such a middle ground type return that I think it has to raise some questions (long term). On the flip side Carson Wentz got a lot in return so I may just be overthinking this lol 

Dak's position is secure because of the financial ramifications next year, I'm pretty certain. He'd cost them like 2.5 million more to trade or cut next year than he does to keep (well, before June anyway) and he's got a 59 million dollar cap hit. So it's post june 1 cut / trade next year for Dak or its an extension. I would imagine the latter is more likely unless he craters this year.

• Like 1

The irony of Kyle trading up to pick Lance to replace Jimmy G and then giving the keys of the kingdom to Purdy who looks like a cheaper Jimmy is not lost on me. Sure it is possible Purdy grows into a much better QB going forward, but man is this whole situation just really funny.

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The irony of Kyle trading up to pick Lance to replace Jimmy G and then giving the keys of the kingdom to Purdy who looks like a cheaper Jimmy is not lost on me. Sure it is possible Purdy grows into a much better QB going forward, but man is this whole situation just really funny.

Just wait until next year when they shell out for this

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I swear people act like Dak sucks. It’s like Tony Romo all over again. Dak is a fringe top 10 QB and take it from a Redskins fan. That’s almost impossible to find. 

It not about him sucking its about him just not getting the job done. The Cowboys havent been to the NFCCG in what 27 years. You know how Jerry felt about giving Dak that contract. Dak has to produce. And the last postseason was squarely on Dak. The defense played more than well enough to win but Dak cost them. If Dak cant get them over the hump especially if he cost them again then Lance is that pressure. Rush was never a real threat but Lance could be. I know some if not alot of the media tried to act like Rush was a threat. The media will definitely push the Lance need to be in there if Dak doesnt get the Cowboys over the hump. Definitely wont be this season but next season at some point definitely. And Jerry can get rid of Dak and easily say we have a guy with more talent, a higher upside, a top 3 pick, a cheaper deal, etc... to justify moving on from Dak

I could see Lance being good later in his career like Geno Smith. He had the opportunity in 2022 & didn't take advantage, but it was only his 2nd year in the NFL. He's only 23. He needs time and a coach willing to go through some growing pains though.

• Like 1