The Road to 53: The Birds cut the dead weight

EaglesPeteC

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I suppose if they consider Nolan Smith an edge pass rusher but honestly he never was that in college and never had high sack numbers in college either.  

I would have cut Ringo or Goodrich.  Having Maddox, Jobe and Ricks seems good enough, well that would be four backup corners and get rid of Ringo or Goodrich, probably Goodrich.  

I just do not think those edge guys will all be totally healthy all year long.  Guess if Tarron Jackson is on the practice squad it is no big deal.

I can all but guarantee Ringo would have been claimed. Nobody claimed Jackson and he is sitting comfortably on our practice squad. There was zero chance they would cut Ringo after specifically trading up to the top of 4th round in thus past draft to make sure they got him. That would have been a ridiculous decision/mistake to make. 

• Like 1

Here’s PS so far:

1. WR Devon Allen
  2. WR Joseph Ngata
  3. WR Britain Covey
  4. TE Brady Russell
  5. P Arryn Siposs
  6. OL Julian Good-Jones
  7. OL Brett Toth
  8. DE Tarron Jackson
  9. LB Ben Van Sumeren
  10. LB Kyron Johnson
  11. WR Greg Ward
  12. S Tristin McCollum
  13. WR Mekhi Garner

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I suppose if they consider Nolan Smith an edge pass rusher but honestly he never was that in college and never had high sack numbers in college either.  

Micah parsons didn’t have high sack numbers in college either, jus saying.. Sometimes it’s all about team fit and I think philadelphia is a very good spot to be for a player like Nolan smith.

37 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I can all but guarantee Ringo would have been claimed. Nobody claimed Jackson and he is sitting comfortably on our practice squad. There was zero chance they would cut Ringo after specifically trading up to the top of 4th round in thus past draft to make sure they got him. That would have been a ridiculous decision/mistake to make. 

Possibly but isn't Eli Ricks better than Ringo and has played better than Ringo?  

But sure if they are on the practice squad I guess no real big deal.  And looks like not a ton of guys are being picked up off other rosters that were cut.

20 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

Micah parsons didn’t have high sack numbers in college either, jus saying.. Sometimes it’s all about team fit and I think philadelphia is a very good spot to be for a player like Nolan smith.

Micah Parsons was not asked to rush the QB nearly as much at Penn State if at all, but that last year he still had 14 TFLs and 5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.   There is absolutely zero chance Nolan Smith is Micah Parsons in the NFL, absolutely zero chance.

Parsons is a much more physical athlete and is by far stronger at the point of attack and has a way higher upside. Nolan Smith played all four years and never had over 5 sacks, maybe that would have happened this past year but still he has a long ways to go if he supposed to be some star pass rusher.  

50 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Micah Parsons was not asked to rush the QB nearly as much at Penn State if at all, but that last year he still had 14 TFLs and 5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.   There is absolutely zero chance Nolan Smith is Micah Parsons in the NFL, absolutely zero chance.

He doesn't have to be Micah, can he be a mixture of his actual NFL Comp by most experts and you be happy , Hassan Reddick?

Is Reddick a pass rusher or do you consider him a coverage LB too because in college that wasn't what he was asked to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Parsons is a much more physical athlete and is by far stronger at the point of attack and has a way higher upside. Nolan Smith played all four years and never had over 5 sacks, maybe that would have happened this past year but still he has a long ways to go if he supposed to be some star pass rusher.  

I’m not comparing him on the field to Micah parsons.lol I’m just saying college sack numbers doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Nolan is in a really good position to succeed in the NFL. If you think he will fail then fine but I think he’s gonna be a pretty good player if healthy.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would have cut Ringo or Goodrich.  Having Maddox, Jobe and Ricks seems good enough, well that would be four backup corners and get rid of Ringo or Goodrich, probably Goodrich.  

I just do not think those edge guys will all be totally healthy all year long.  Guess if Tarron Jackson is on the practice squad it is no big deal.

Why would you cut Ringo?  It's way to early to give up on him and he'd 100% get claimed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He doesn't have to be Micah, can he be a mixture of his actual NFL Comp by most experts and you be happy , Hassan Reddick?

Is Reddick a pass rusher or do you consider him a coverage LB too because in college that wasn't what he was asked to do?

Thing that a lotta people misunderstand is that sack numbers aren’t everything. In fact, most of Brandon grahams career would be considered “not high sack numbers”. Brandon Graham is always in the QBs face though and that could actually be more effective than a sack at times.

Nolan smith has everything you want in a prospect though. He’s got speed, strength, a good motor, and good pass rush moves. I think he will be fine.

Edited by Jays3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Why would you cut Ringo?  It's way to early to give up on him and he'd 100% get claimed.

Oh ringo would definitely 100% be claimed, probably one of the first teams would claim him too. He was a 4th round pick that once upon a time was getting 1st round pick hype. There’s no chance he’d go unclaimed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I mean it's not exactly going out on a limb to say a player that's never played a down in the NFL will never be as good as one of the best pash rushers in the NFL. I'd say don't count Smith out.  I don't know what his ceiling is,but with his work ethic and athleticism he should have a pretty solid floor.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

So who is the PR now or is Howie going to cut a TE (Calcaterra) and promote Covey before week 1?

Somebody has to go

No PR?

No Punter?

Practice Squad callups for three weeks.... wait till the inevitable moves to IR then fill the void with those guys. No reason to rush Covey or a Punter onto the roster at this point.

• Like 2