2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

On 12/31/2023 at 4:18 PM, -Hope- said:

it's honestly pretty frustrating that we'll probably miss out on a stud like nabers because we've whiffed on 800 offensive tackles in a row.

feeling this even more now lol. odunze will almost certainly be on the board when we pick, nabers might be, but if one of the tackles falls we almost have no choice but to take one despire our massive need for receivers. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I will say, if we end up having to settle for Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Worthy in the second, not gonna hate it.

Throw in a McMillan in the later rounds too while you’re at it.

Yeah. I think there are some great 2nd round options at WR

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I will say, if we end up having to settle for Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Worthy in the second, not gonna hate it.

Throw in a McMillan in the later rounds too while you’re at it.

worthy's projection to the nfl worries me....those pure speed guys seem to rarely become dudes you can count on. but i'd almost take him purely as reassurance that this FO knows they're allowed to draft guys who run under a 4.5 lmao

agree w your larger point that there should be some nice early 2nd round WR options though.

• Like 2

Watching Penix you just can't deny his ball placement which has made me more of a believer. He looks like he doesn't have arm strength, but he just has great touch...I saw him throw a couple of lasers on throw aways. He has tons of time to throw so it is difficult to evaluate his decision making speed and defense reading. I think when it all shakes out, not draft wise but career wise, he will be the 3rd best QB of the class behind Maye and McCarthy. I think him and McCarthy will benefit from draft position and will likely land in better situations like Minn, Las Vegas or Was where they have some talent in place day one so their production will be higher. 

It is so hard to evaluate QB's off of their CFB production because of the different systems and lopsided talent games. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Watching Penix you just can't deny his ball placement which has made me more of a believer. He looks like he doesn't have arm strength, but he just has great touch...I saw him throw a couple of lasers on throw aways. He has tons of time to throw so it is difficult to evaluate his decision making speed and defense reading. I think when it all shakes out, not draft wise but career wise, he will be the 3rd best QB of the class behind Maye and McCarthy. I think him and McCarthy will benefit from draft position and will likely land in better situations like Minn, Las Vegas or Was where they have some talent in place day one so their production will be higher. 

It is so hard to evaluate QB's off of their CFB production because of the different systems and lopsided talent games. 

Great West Coast Offense type guy. Like was said earlier, Minnesota would be a good spot. 

Niners. 

26 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

https://x.com/noflagsfilm/status/1742176499694743806?s=46

Well, I think its sealed. We got our guy, welcome to the Titans Rome.

I just now saw that we only have the seventh pick, so yeah, we may not have the option of one of the top tackles.  I was more bearish on Odunze before this game.  I knew he was tough, but he plays straight up bully ball.  Hard not to like him.

I still think Harrison and Nabors stand a head above the rest, but if Odunze is our best option at 7, I wouldn't be super mad about it.

But man, not liking the second round tackles.

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I just now saw that we only have the seventh pick, so yeah, we may not have the option of one of the top tackles.  I was more bearish on Odunze before this game.  I knew he was tough, but he plays straight up bully ball.  Hard not to like him.

I still think Harrison and Nabors stand a head above the rest, but if Odunze is our best option at 7, I wouldn't be super mad about it.

But man, not liking the second round tackles.

most of them seem to project as guards, and i swear to god if i have to watch this team acquire one more tackle-who-is-actually-a-guard i am going to lose my mind. the kid from yale is fascinating because he might be the biggest athletic freak in the entire OL class and is a pure tackle, but he's also....from yale, and i have no faith in our staff getting him up to par.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

most of them seem to project as guards, and i swear to god if i have to watch this team acquire one more tackle-who-is-actually-a-guard i am going to lose my mind. the kid from yale is fascinating because he might be the biggest athletic freak in the entire OL class and is a pure tackle, but he's also....from yale, and i have no faith in our staff getting him up to par.

I like his film but he is from Yale. Really scary to know what you’re going to get. They also say he is position versatile so he could fill needs as we have them everywhere, lol. I think we may need to take a break from drafting lineman from smaller schools. I would be okay if maybe he slips. 

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

Yeah.  I still need to scout out a few, but Fautanu is definitely a guard.  I think Mims and Latham are tackles, but Latham I wouldn't feel comfortable with on the left side.  He's an immovable object, but he's not very quick.  He was rock solid against Michigan last night.  I think both are long gone by our second rounder.

I still need to scout Fuaga better.  Only looked at a little of his tape, but people seem to think he's a guard.  Javon Foster is a little short too, so he might be a guard.  Jordan Morgan too.  Duke has a tackle, Wisconsin has a tackle, and Houston has a tackle that are listed at proper sizes, at least.  Tyler Guyton too.  Kingsley Suamataia is straight ***.

After that, there are some good options deeper in the class, like Blake Fisher (ND), Roger Rosengarten (Wash), Christian Jones (Texas), and Anthony Belton (NC State) all look like very good later round options, but round 2 is a little rich for me on them.  And I don't want to be looking at getting our only tackle in like the fourth round.

Honestly, if we have to pick at 7th, and take a receiver, the best move may be just to take the best available offensive lineman at any position.  Sedrick Van Pran or Cooper Beebe would be tough to swallow, but it would give us a theoretically very strong interior, and we should be able to trade down and get a very good interior OL.  The whole OL is a joke right now, so improvement anywhere is a net gain.

15 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I think we also need to prioritize center in this draft. I will legit lose my mind if Brewer is back. Don't hate the guy, but he is not a long term solution. You guys liking Van Pran Or Powers Johnson? Or any later gems we could look at?

Van Pran looks like the best of the bunch to me.  And he is good.  However, without a third rounder, I don't know if we have the capital to afford him, since we need a tackle and a WR with out first two picks.  Those are premium positions and the need is desperate with both.

Sincere Haynesworth out of Tulane is good, but he's on the small side, like Brewer.  I like Cooper Mayes way more than the draft consensus does.  I think he could be solid, and should be available late.

I would have said Seth McGlaughlin out of Alabama before his awful showing last night.  Of course, maybe that means we can get him in like the sixth round.

The center class isn't very good this year.  Last year's was excellent, so no surprise there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Van Pran looks like the best of the bunch to me.  And he is good.  However, without a third rounder, I don't know if we have the capital to afford him, since we need a tackle and a WR with out first two picks.  Those are premium positions and the need is desperate with both.

Sincere Haynesworth out of Tulane is good, but he's on the small side, like Brewer.  I like Cooper Mayes way more than the draft consensus does.  I think he could be solid, and should be available late.

I would have said Seth McGlaughlin out of Alabama before his awful showing last night.  Of course, maybe that means we can get him in like the sixth round.

The center class isn't very good this year.  Last year's was excellent, so no surprise there.

He's returning to Tennessee for another year. Was injured all year so probably hoping a healthy season helps his draft stock.