2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

odunze at 7 is too rich for me. he's a nice prospect but i'm not sure i really see a star, game changing WR with him. the last thing we need is to waste another top 5-7 pick on a WR2.

I feel you. I was like that right until last night. 
Was watching him and all I see is him getting open and catching the football with his hands routinely when thrown to him. 
I saw some DeAndre Hopkins and Fitzgerald in him. 

I'd take him at 7, prefer him lower in a trade down. 

*Subject to change*  Lol

Edited by KingTitan

One thing I looked at last night was the frequency in which our decision makers took OT/OL in the first round.
Browns took Willis Jr. at 10. (Bill Callahan)
Bengals took Johnah WIlliams at 11 (Brian Callahan)
Niners too McGlinchey at 9 (Carthon)
Never took one in Green Bay (Brinker)

3 times in their vast history did they take lineman in the 1st. Just data, doesn't mean anything concrete. Just averages say they won't take a OL in the 1st.  This also doesn't factor in the rest of the roster, free agent additions, quarterback. etc. 

Digging into is psychologically, I feel they may think the quickest way to get a positive swing with the team and roster is to get playmakers on the offense. Find suitable Lineman that can be coached up or bought in FA.

Only one of Niners guys were drafted in the 1st round and that was by another team. 
One Brown was drafted 1st round by the team.
Nobody on Green Bay OL was drafted 1st round at all. 
Only one Bengal drafted in the 1st round. 

2 guys drafted by their current team in 1st round. Other first rounder in San Fran was acquired. 

Just looking at it, I can assume that we won't draft an OL in the first round. 
Skron is "our" 1st round pick. 

It seems like the staff really believed in their ability to find 2nd round and beyond guys to be coached up to do their job, or get a guy in FA. 

• Like 1

I'm not gonna pretend to know what the staff is going to do.  I'm always talking in terms of what I think the right decision is.

And I think, with our situation, and with as light as this class is on left tackle talent, waiting until the second would be a huge mistake.  Now if there's good intel that says Mims is a second rounder, then I'm changing my tune.  But even then, you're playing with fire.

33 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

odunze at 7 is too rich for me. he's a nice prospect but i'm not sure i really see a star, game changing WR with him. the last thing we need is to waste another top 5-7 pick on a WR2.

Same.  I worry about how high his percentage of contested catches is.  It's great that he can do that, but it so rarely translates to the next level, and knowing that he gets so much of his yardage from that is a little worrying.  Still, he's a good route runner and will probably tick every box for athleticism and measurements.

But it's a big reason why he's firmly the third WR in this class.

If they were to say, trade down and take him, I'd feel a lot better.

• Like 2

I'm just becoming such a big fan of Adonai Mitchell that I really want no part of a WR in the first unless both Alt and Fashanu are off the board at 7. I think Mitchell has everything you look for in that alpha WR, and if I can come away from this draft with the top tackle in the class, and a guy I think has all the traits to be an elite WR1 in the second, I'm jumping for joy.

I understand the argument of being able to draft a more developmental tackle with Callahan coaching the OLine now, but I don't want to play that game anymore.  Protect your young QB and your offense as a whole by drafting a pillar LT in the first and build from there. We can't afford to go into another season with question marks at that spot.

• Like 3

Just now, SerenityNow said:

I'm just becoming such a big fan of Adonai Mitchell that I really want no part of a WR in the first unless both Alt and Fashanu are off the board at 7. I think Mitchell has everything you look for in that alpha WR, and if I can come away from this draft with the top tackle in the class, and a guy I think has all the traits to be an elite WR1 in the second, I'm jumping for joy.

I understand the argument of being able to draft a more developmental tackle with Callahan coaching the OLine now, but I don't want to play that game anymore.  Protect your young QB and your offense as a whole by drafting a pillar LT in the first and build from there. We can't afford to go into another season with question marks at that spot.

Worried Mitchell is going late 1st round. I'm not in the business of trading up for anyone in this draft. 

While I totally get not wanting to risk anything with the OL. But I will also say we haven't had a good OL coach since Munchak maybe. Russ Grimm also in that mix. 

Just looking at the trends of the former teams, I think they feel they can make moves without the top OL. 
It's not an slap at the talent of the OL in the draft, just trying to guess what they thinking. 

I like Odunze more than Nabers. 🤷‍♂️ 

Thought I saw somewhere that nobody had a higher contested catch rate than Odunze. He damn sure doesn’t have issues separating either. Plus he’s produced multiple seasons. I’m team Alt for now but i wouldn’t be opposed to Odunze either. 

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Thought I saw somewhere that nobody had a higher contested catch rate than Odunze. He damn sure doesn’t have issues separating either. Plus he’s produced multiple seasons. I’m team Alt for now but i wouldn’t be opposed to Odunze either. 

Yeah, and that's actually a bit of a red flag imo.  Because that is not something that usually translates to the NFL.  Odunze can physically dominate college CBs and make catches over them, but that's gonna be a lot harder to do in the NFL.

Hopkins is one of the very few receivers that played like that and didn't drop off massively in the NFL.

Odunze still is a very good receiver, but that aspect of his game is almost certainly going to be much lesser when he gets to the pros.

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I see a lot of Hopkins in Odunze. 
Hopkins of course drafted 27th overall. Ran a 4.5 

I think Odunze is faster. 

Be interesting how things pan out. 

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, and that's actually a bit of a red flag imo.  Because that is not something that usually translates to the NFL.  Odunze can physically dominate college CBs and make catches over them, but that's gonna be a lot harder to do in the NFL.

Hopkins is one of the very few receivers that played like that and didn't drop off massively in the NFL.

Odunze still is a very good receiver, but that aspect of his game is almost certainly going to be much lesser when he gets to the pros.

That’s fine. He likely won’t physically dominant every corner he goes up against but that’s also not the only way he wins. He can run routes and he can separate. We’re not talking about a guy like Burks or Quentin Johnston here.

the more i watch odunze, the more i see corey davis. they're basically identical in terms of size/speed, they're both physical but not all that great after the catch, they're both smooth but not twitchy or explosive. imo MHJ and nabers are both in tiers of their own at the top. they're the guys i look at and see a true alpha dog, star WR1. just not sure i see that same dynamism with odunze.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

the more i watch odunze, the more i see corey davis. they're basically identical in terms of size/speed, they're both physical but not all that great after the catch, they're both smooth but not twitchy or explosive. imo MHJ and nabers are both in tiers of their own at the top. they're the guys i look at and see a true alpha dog, star WR1. just not sure i see that same dynamism with odunze.

Corey Davis was nice after the catch, he just wasn’t as explosive Or had that burst 

27 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Corey Davis was nice after the catch, he just wasn’t as explosive Or had that burst 

Yeah, CD was a decent receiver, and I would love to have prime CD on our roster now.

But I am not choosing CD when Lewan is on the board.

• Like 1