2024 Draft

Ftn49

31 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Shame that skill position players are the last thing we need because Brendan Rice, Luke McCaffrey, and Frank Gore Jr would all be fun picks.

Any QBs potentially worth taking a flier on in the late rounds to be QB3/even QB2 if we really want to save money?

I think Luke and Frank jr could be had mid/late picks, so I think we should be able to pick one or both up if we desire. 

6 hours ago, Geek said:

So how likely is it we go after a guard? Or do we think Feliciano is going to hold down that spot?

They drafted Aaron Banks in the second, so its not without precedent, though obviously Shanahans have preferred the value route when it comes to especially the interior of the line

Okay, official pre-combine list of projected day 2+ projected guys that JIllg really digs above consensus (mostly looking at the positions that I think may interest us there: I think that the defensive line is going to represent a couple of early picks and I don't think that the defensive backfield is going to get a pick. Nor do I think that we will be looking at mid round QBs)

Running Back: Isaac Guerendo - converted WR; legit 4.3 guy. He's split backfield reps a couple of times and I don't think he'd be a long term McCaffrey replacement (see MarShawn Lloyd for this), I do think that he'd be a very nice Matt Breida-y change of pace that could handle some receiving work and hit a home run or two for us. I have something like a fifth round valuation on him.

Fullback/Tight End: Ben Sinnott - the best tackle breaker in the TE class. Honestly, I could see him being this year's Sam LaPorta. He's fluid, catches the ball naturally with his hands, was a good and versatile run blocker both with the eye test and by PFF's run blocking grade. Absolutely crushed some folks in the running game and sometimes got 2 for 1s as a result. He played a bit of fullback and out as a wing back/h-back in college, too. I could see him replacing either Kittle or Juszczyk long term. Ben put on 10 pounds for the Senior Bowl to try and prove that he's a real TE, but I preferred him at the 245 pounds or so he was in college - hopefully for us the decision depresses his stock. I have early third to mid fourth round value on him, which is definitely higher than consensus.

Flanker/Split End: Malik Washington - the best tackle breaker in the WR class. I have a second round grade on him and think that he's more than a slot receiver. The main things depressing his value are that he is only 5'8" and only has 30" arms. Steve Smith had abnormally long 31.5" arms for a 5'9" guy. On the other hand, Malik has a real vertical leap and still can Moss people, runs routes really well, is an absolute menace to tackle, and is fearless with really good hands in the middle of the field. Because Malik is built like a little boulder, he can do things that other mere slot guys just can't. He's hard to jam both because he's super quick and because he's so dense. Malik Washington as the long term replacement for Deebo (and off the bench gadget guy this year) is one of my favorite fits in the draft, although I worry that we won't have the willingness to spend this year's draft capital on that player this year given our other needs.

Big Slot: Luke McCaffrey - this is an interesting spot. I think that Luke is going to rise up draft boards both because of his family pedigree and his versatile skillset. Could definitely see him going higher than we'd like to spend a draft pick on the Jennings replacement as the big slot. Jordan Whittington or Bru McCoy might end up being more realistic targets for this pick, but I like Luke's likelihood of playing right away better - he'll have help understanding the offense. And I like Luke's vertical speed better than those two guys - he could really add something going down the field.

Offensive Tackle: Christian Jones - Jones is one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and it shows in his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes. He'll never be a perfect pass protector because he isn't a terrific athlete that can get tons of width on his kick sets, but he was good enough and showed that he could handle a bit of everything in Senior Bowl reps. And while the pass protection isn't exciting, the zone run blocking is. Might be the best reach blocker at tackle that isn't Fuaga or Latham or Alt in the class. Can just crush dudes. He'd kind of be somewhat like McGlinchey was for us. But super cheap. And we missed McGlinchey's run blocking and his better than McKivitz pass blocking.

Offensive Guard: Cooper Beebe - Beebe is another one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and he also picks up stunts and blitzes well. He's not a terrific athlete at guard, but he was a very good pass protector in college just because of his smarts and anchor. And the upside is that he absolutely kills people in the running game as a down blocker, reach blocker, and puller. I very much enjoy getting Beebe and Jones at the bottom of the third and feeling very comfortable that the punch from the right side of the line will be as good as the left and our pass protection will get better and significantly more consistent. Plus, Beebe has experience at both Tackle spots as well if you need a temporary fill in. Although that should be temporary, because he isn't the kind of athlete that can hang there at the NFL level.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Okay, official pre-combine list of projected day 2+ projected guys that JIllg really digs above consensus (mostly looking at the positions that I think may interest us there: I think that the defensive line is going to represent a couple of early picks and I don't think that the defensive backfield is going to get a pick. Nor do I think that we will be looking at mid round QBs)

Running Back: Isaac Guerendo - converted WR; legit 4.3 guy. He's split backfield reps a couple of times and I don't think he'd be a long term McCaffrey replacement (see MarShawn Lloyd for this), I do think that he'd be a very nice Matt Breida-y change of pace that could handle some receiving work and hit a home run or two for us. I have something like a fifth round valuation on him.

Fullback/Tight End: Ben Sinnott - the best tackle breaker in the TE class. Honestly, I could see him being this year's Sam LaPorta. He's fluid, catches the ball naturally with his hands, was a good and versatile run blocker both with the eye test and by PFF's run blocking grade. Absolutely crushed some folks in the running game and sometimes got 2 for 1s as a result. He played a bit of fullback and out as a wing back/h-back in college, too. I could see him replacing either Kittle or Juszczyk long term. Ben put on 10 pounds for the Senior Bowl to try and prove that he's a real TE, but I preferred him at the 245 pounds or so he was in college - hopefully for us the decision depresses his stock. I have early third to mid fourth round value on him, which is definitely higher than consensus.

Flanker/Split End: Malik Washington - the best tackle breaker in the WR class. I have a second round grade on him and think that he's more than a slot receiver. The main things depressing his value are that he is only 5'8" and only has 30" arms. Steve Smith had abnormally long 31.5" arms for a 5'9" guy. On the other hand, Malik has a real vertical leap and still can Moss people, runs routes really well, is an absolute menace to tackle, and is fearless with really good hands in the middle of the field. Because Malik is built like a little boulder, he can do things that other mere slot guys just can't. He's hard to jam both because he's super quick and because he's so dense. Malik Washington as the long term replacement for Deebo (and off the bench gadget guy this year) is one of my favorite fits in the draft, although I worry that we won't have the willingness to spend this year's draft capital on that player this year given our other needs.

Big Slot: Luke McCaffrey - this is an interesting spot. I think that Luke is going to rise up draft boards both because of his family pedigree and his versatile skillset. Could definitely see him going higher than we'd like to spend a draft pick on the Jennings replacement as the big slot. Jordan Whittington or Bru McCoy might end up being more realistic targets for this pick, but I like Luke's likelihood of playing right away better - he'll have help understanding the offense. And I like Luke's vertical speed better than those two guys - he could really add something going down the field.

Offensive Tackle: Christian Jones - Jones is one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and it shows in his ability to pick up stunts and blitzes. He'll never be a perfect pass protector because he isn't a terrific athlete that can get tons of width on his kick sets, but he was good enough and showed that he could handle a bit of everything in Senior Bowl reps. And while the pass protection isn't exciting, the zone run blocking is. Might be the best reach blocker at tackle that isn't Fuaga or Latham or Alt in the class. Can just crush dudes. He'd kind of be somewhat like McGlinchey was for us. But super cheap. And we missed McGlinchey's run blocking and his better than McKivitz pass blocking.

Offensive Guard: Cooper Beebe - Beebe is another one of the most experienced prospects in the draft and he also picks up stunts and blitzes well. He's not a terrific athlete at guard, but he was a very good pass protector in college just because of his smarts and anchor. And the upside is that he absolutely kills people in the running game as a down blocker, reach blocker, and puller. I very much enjoy getting Beebe and Jones at the bottom of the third and feeling very comfortable that the punch from the right side of the line will be as good as the left and our pass protection will get better and significantly more consistent. Plus, Beebe has experience at both Tackle spots as well if you need a temporary fill in. Although that should be temporary, because he isn't the kind of athlete that can hang there at the NFL level.

Any favorites for DE or DTs? I’ve heard, it’s not a great draft for pass rushers, but one name a lot of ppl have mentioned -

Darius Robinson

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

Any favorites for DE or DTs? I’ve heard, it’s not a great draft for pass rushers, but one name a lot of ppl have mentioned -

Darius Robinson

So, I do like Darius Robinson - he’s getting late first/early second buzz now. Played inside before kicking outside this year. Really heavy handed edge setter. Has been a plus pass rusher both inside and outside, but I prefer him inside. He’d replace Clelin Farrell on base downs for us and be the direct Arik Armstead replacement when Armstead is out hurt. Quality player that can soak a variety of meaningful snaps for the team well. At the very minimu, he’s Charles Omenihu.

Apart from that, it’s about fallers. Laiatu Latu is the dream. He’s one of the best football players in the draft and has been the best pass rusher in America for two years. If he falls due to a mixture of athleticism/medical concerns, you snap that up. More likely is Bralen Trice. He’s a bit raw all the way around, but he led the country in pressures this past year. Gets upfield. Plays the run well. Attacks blocks. You’d like him to have more of a pass rush plan. 

At DT, you hope Jer’Zhan Newton or Byron Murphy fall in the first due to size. Both are really quick penetrators who can anchor more than you think because they are short. In the second+, I really like DeWayne Carter. Duke played him everywhere because he was by far their best defensive player. Aggressive, penetrating DT with feel for one gapping.

• Like 1

I keep going back and forth on how much I think the team believes McKivitz is a significant problem. 

I may be starting to flip that they go guard in the first and draft a developmental tackle in the middle rounds. 

Brandon Coleman? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

I keep going back and forth on how much I think the team believes McKivitz is a significant problem. 

I may be starting to flip that they go guard in the first and draft a developmental tackle in the middle rounds. 

Brandon Coleman? 

But like it is not just about McKivitz. I doubt he gets replaced in year one but you still need a replacement for Trent Williams. You have to get a tackle in the early rounds in one of these drafts, even if Williams returns for next season....which he already said he will be coming back. 

Guard is an absolute need, especially with Purdy being a smaller QB. Look at all the ELITE and high drafted guards that Brees played with in NO. 

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Brandon Coleman? 

What makes you doubt it is a significant problem?

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But like it is not just about McKivitz. I doubt he gets replaced in year one but you still need a replacement for Trent Williams. You have to get a tackle in the early rounds in one of these drafts, even if Williams returns for next season....which he already said he will be coming back. 

Guard is an absolute need, especially with Purdy being a smaller QB. Look at all the ELITE and high drafted guards that Brees played with in NO. 

Yes, but if the plan is to carry Trent / McKivitz next year, then you can take the developmental guy this year to replace mckivitz moving forward and then address Trent's departure down the line when it happens. Or the developmental guy ends up ultimately taking over for Trent if good enough. I could also see them draft a tackle to play guard early, and draft a developmental tackle and boom, those are your future tackles. 

11 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

What makes you doubt it is a significant problem?

Not what I said. I think McKivitz is really bad lol. But I'm wondering if they view him as a significant problem. That I can't answer. 

If they are happy enough with him, and they view RG as a bigger problem, than I wonder how much emphasis they put on tackle in the draft besides a developmental guy. Outside of the Baltimore game, he was much better as Feliciano got more play. 

I have some doubts that they go OL / OL in the first and second. So that makes me wonder, if they choose to go RG in the first, which is a good spot for a guy like Barton I wonder if they wait until late day 2 or into early day 3 on tackle. 

I could also easily see them draft Morgan, have him play guard initially, developmental tackle later, and both of those guys are your future tackles but for 2024, the starters are mckivitz and trent 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, but if the plan is to carry Trent / McKivitz next year, then you can take the developmental guy this year to replace mckivitz moving forward and then address Trent's departure down the line when it happens. Or the developmental guy ends up ultimately taking over for Trent if good enough. I could also see them draft a tackle to play guard early, and draft a developmental tackle and boom, those are your future tackles. 

Not what I said. I think McKivitz is really bad lol. But I'm wondering if they view him as a significant problem. That I can't answer. 

If they are happy enough with him, and they view RG as a bigger problem, than I wonder how much emphasis they put on tackle in the draft besides a developmental guy. Outside of the Baltimore game, he was much better as Feliciano got more play. 

I have some doubts that they go OL / OL in the first and second. So that makes me wonder, if they choose to go RG in the first, which is a good spot for a guy like Barton I wonder if they wait until late day 2 or into early day 3 on tackle. 

I could also easily see them draft Morgan, have him play guard initially, developmental tackle later, and both of those guys are your future tackles but for 2024, the starters are mckivitz and trent 

I wasn't trying to pull a gotcha and could have worded it better I suppose. I don't know why the team wouldn't view it as a significant problem. Even if the pass blocking woes are more attributable to the RG, the run blocking to that side was a significant issue as well. 

With Greenlaw's injury,  I don't know if we go OL in the 1st and 2nd either. I could easily see 1. OL 2. LB 3. OL and I'd prefer OT be first, just that is where I see the value (without knowing who is actually going to be there when we pick, it could change). 

Edited by Ftn49

4 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I wasn't trying to pull a gotcha and could have worded it better I suppose. 

Nah, no worries. That's not how I meant it either. I just wanted to make it clear that I was musing on what i think the niners could be thinking and this was not my own preference 😂

I think I'd personally be pretty locked into a tackle in the first round.

The second round is pretty difficult to be honest, because the edge class kind of blows. That's probably where I would have wanted to go. I'm very big on trying to make a move for Sweat in this range to add bulk to the interior defensive line, even if he's a 30% snap guy for a couple of years.   I think this would be a good spot for a guard, but again, not sure that I see the team going OL / OL right off.

I could see this being a linebacker now as @Ftn49 indicated, but I'm not going to lie...don't love it. 

I can kind of see why so many people give us cornerback in the second....it's almost a "why not" situation depending on how the board falls lol 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think I'd personally be pretty locked into a tackle in the first round.

The second round is pretty difficult to be honest, because the edge class kind of blows. That's probably where I would have wanted to go. I'm very big on trying to make a move for Sweat in this range to add bulk to the interior defensive line, even if he's a 30% snap guy for a couple of years.   I think this would be a good spot for a guard, but again, not sure that I see the team going OL / OL right off.

I could see this being a linebacker now as @Ftn49 indicated, but I'm not going to lie...don't love it. 

I can kind of see why so many people give us cornerback in the second....it's almost a "why not" situation depending on how the board falls lol 

See, I like Edge in the first because the class is really top heavy. You can get some interesting DTs and OL guys (by current consensus) later on. I don't think you can with edge. Plus, I don't think the tackles fall and I'm not a Barton or Fautanu in the first guy. Fautanu, for one, was not the run blocker his stocky build might have you believe. And Barton is a talented run blocker but I just really worry about his anchor for a first round guy, even at tackle. So that leaves edges, really. Maybe a falling corner just for value. Maybe a falling DT for value. But I don't think that the OTs that I find acceptable will fall. I guess Jordan Morgan if you dig that. But he was worse at Senior Bowl reps than some of these day 2 cats.

• Like 1