2024 Draft

Ftn49

Went Morgan. 

I like him more than Suamatai and I simply value potential versatility over a straight up center. 

But drafting Morgan after moving down is a win. Now two picks right at the end of round 2 / start of round 3

• Like 4

I always like doing these mocks because it really kind of gives you a first hand look at where you think some of the soft spots are in the draft. 

Man, middle of the second is soft as butter left on the counter. Trade up opportunities, but there's pretty much nobody in the mid 40s that I'd be dying to get over someone likely to be there at 63. I suppose that maybe there is a worthwhile jump to be made if you're really targeting a corner and want someone like a TJ Tampa....but if you're not looking for something specific at that position, I see no reason to jump aggressively in there and take him over someone like Max Melton. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Went Morgan. 

I like him more than Suamatai and I simply value potential versatility over a straight up center. 

But drafting Morgan after moving down is a win. Now two picks right at the end of round 2 / start of round 3

I think Morgan is pretty likely to be the pick overall. They've met him twice now and the need+availability seem likely. He understands his responsibilities as a zone blocker well and executes them well enough, even if he isn't the athlete to quite do some of the really fun things that guys like Barton and Fuaga can do by twisting their trunks to complete reaches and turn their torsos to wall off linebackers. He held up against most pass rushers (not Bralen Trice) well. Experienced enough to play quickly.

I don't think that there's much upside there, but I think you have a good likelihood of getting a starting tackle that you are comfortable with on the cheap. He does have the same short arms problem that Barton has (both are just under 33"). But at least Morgan isn't as nearly awkward or leaning about it. He trusts his anchor in spite of it. I do think that he's going to struggle more against length and speed to power long arms. He handled power and he handled speed, but Trice killed him with speed to power getting him to open up and then going through his chest and the league is full of guys that can do what Trice did with better tools.

• Like 1

I have picks at 63 and 69. I may entertain trade downs, almost certainly won't trade up. 

May target a WR with one of these two picks, but will see how it looks. We are about to hit pick 50, some of the top names left: 

• Ricky Pearsall
  • Chris Braswell
  • TJ Tampa
  • Ja'Tavion Sanders
  • All the running backs
  • Christian Haynes
  • Beebe
  • Javon Bullard
  • Ruuuuuuuuuuke
  • Kneeland
  • Melton 

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think Morgan is pretty likely to be the pick overall. They've met him twice now and the need+availability seem likely. He understands his responsibilities as a zone blocker well and executes them well enough, even if he isn't the athlete to quite do some of the really fun things that guys like Barton and Fuaga can do by twisting their trunks to complete reaches and turn their torsos to wall off linebackers. He held up against most pass rushers (not Bralen Trice) well. Experienced enough to play quickly.

I don't think that there's much upside there, but I think you have a good likelihood of getting a starting tackle that you are comfortable with on the cheap. He does have the same short arms problem that Barton has (both are just under 33"). But at least Morgan isn't as nearly awkward or leaning about it. He trusts his anchor in spite of it. I do think that he's going to struggle more against length and speed to power long arms. He handled power and he handled speed, but Trice killed him with speed to power getting him to open up and then going through his chest and the league is full of guys that can do what Trice did with better tools.

I've really considered the short arms thing quite a bit. I know that people are going to use the Slater comparison, but I think it's unfair because Slater is just a better athlete (even though Morgan is obviously a tremendous athlete). I do think that one thing that bodes well is that while AVT is probably going to go back to being a full time guard, I'm not sure he was that bad as tackle when the Jets needed him to be. I think I'd fail him at tackle first because I think the feet play much, much better than Barton, though I wish he had more pop. 

Trice wrecked his world lol. I thought he did a decent job against UCLA (Latu cooked him on one rep inside, but I thought morgan did a decent job in the limited other reps where they were matched up) and that UCLA defense as a whole was no joke last year and I thought he did well. 

Morgan plays a relatively clean game, which I appreciate. 6 penalties the last two years, which is great. Like half as many penalties the last two years as someone like Barton. Granted, he had fewer snaps than some of these guys because of the injury (I think Latham had like 300 more snaps the last two years) but it's still a solid rate on penalties. 

Ultimately, whether he can play on the right (no guarantee) may be more important to me than if he can stick at tackle. But the more I've thought about it, the more I really think that if we go offensive line at 31, it's likely a redshirt year for the most part (injury dependent on the starters). 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have picks at 63 and 69. I may entertain trade downs, almost certainly won't trade up. 

May target a WR with one of these two picks, but will see how it looks. We are about to hit pick 50, some of the top names left: 

• Ricky Pearsall
  • Chris Braswell
  • TJ Tampa
  • Ja'Tavion Sanders
  • All the running backs
  • Christian Haynes
  • Beebe
  • Javon Bullard
  • Ruuuuuuuuuuke
  • Kneeland
  • Melton 

I don’t mind one of the corners, just because I think we will pick one in either Second or Third round. 

Thoughts on Khyree spacing on last name, he’s the corner from Oregon. 

31 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I don’t mind one of the corners, just because I think we will pick one in either Second or Third round. 

Thoughts on Khyree spacing on last name, he’s the corner from Oregon. 

Tall corners always concern me with their hips, to be honest. I feel like they are never the most fluid guys ever, which is tough against receivers who are getting smaller and I think kind of shiftier on the whole. I'd wager he goes maybe in the 4th? 

With Morgan in the fold, or if the team drafts morgan, I think you can justify doubling down and taking a guy that you feel more comfortable will stick at tackle. 

Patrick Paul is a horrific fit for what Shanny wants given his run blocking, but at the bottom of round 2, I don't hate double dipping. If you can be comfortable that guys like Rosengarten or Jones are there at the end of round 3 or into round 4, could see just waiting. 

Okay, gave up a fifth to move up in the second to o draft TJ Tampa. 

This was more about navigating the draft. Guys like Melton had already gone off the board. Thought I was at a big drop at CB, and I don't have a late third anymore. So after pick 69, we wait until 125. Assuming we stick to a similar defensive philosophy, Tampa should be a good fit. 

I think that I'm going to like the receivers, running backs, tight ends there then I will corner at pick 125 and later

• Like 2

Now I'm at an interesting spot where I have no idea what to do at pick 69. 

We don't pick again until 125, and then have like 3 selections in 10 picks or whatever. I'm looking at what is the best way to navigate this. 

I think WR is out here. I think there is just bound to be a guy or two that I really like in round 4 nearly as much as I like available here. Roman Wilson, Brenden Rice, Tez Walker, Burton, Polk are maybe the best receivers available here, so I kind of think just wait until round 4. 

Same for RB, especially given that I'm a fan of guys like Tracy who I feel pretty good about being there later on. Benson has been taken, all others are on the board. 

TE? Sanders and Bowers are gone. Top of the third seems unnecessary? I'm not a huge Johnson fan. I do like Stover and Sinnot, but this seems early. 

So honestly, that leaves me DL and offensive line as potentially the best value here? 

We still have a few more picks before I am up, so some may disappear, but we still have options on the interior line in Haynes, Puni, Beebe. However, I'm really thinking about Blake Fisher here? He's a lock for tackle (probably right tackle only, but you never know). This allows us to definitely lock in Morgan on the interior immediately and then see how it goes at tackle. With Feliciano a short term bridge and Burford not good, Banks is in his last year of his deal....Trent is 36 and McKivitz is a swing tackle...I think it makes a ton of sense to double dip and the selection of Morgan as an interior guy would be totally justified. If I could be assured that Rosengarten or Jones were there at 125, I feel like I may wait, but I think that's a gamble? 

Defensive line still looks good. I prefer DT to EDGE for the team....but Kneeland, Elliss, Isaac, Dorluss, Michael Hall (undersized penetrating 3 tech probably not needed, but I'm going to include them all anyway), Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor....Ruke is probably my favorite? 

Really tough spot and I'm not sure where to go with the long wait for the next pick after this. 

***edit***

Subsequently, Christian Haynes, Michael Hall have come off the board, Theo Johnson and Roman Wilson as well. 3 picks to go 

****Double edit****

Beebe off the board two picks before