2024 Draft

Ftn49

10 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Malik Washington is going to go a lot earlier than most people think, his film is too good and he's too damn strong and explosive.  

Unfortunately, his lack of length is a real thing.

He will be viewed as strictly a slot guy for alot of teams.

I've been singing his praises for quite awhile now and I think in any other class, he might sneak into of the bottom of the first or early second.

But I don't see a scenario where that happens with this stacked WR class.

I absolutely want him to be a Niner. 

Though he's not a Deebo clone, I think he could do alot of what he does for us gadget wise, with much better ability as a route runner along the boundary. It would make it that much easier to move off of Deebo with a guy like Washington in the fold. He's also a good return guy as well.

But we never seem to land WRs I truly covet so it is what it is.

My "guys" in this draft:

Chop Robinson

Jordan Morgan

Cooper Beebe

Christian Haynes

Jonathon Brooks

Malik Washington

Ladd McConkey

Adonai Mitchell

Elijah Jones

Cam Hart

Austin Booker 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Unfortunately, his lack of length is a real thing.

He will be viewed as strictly a slot guy for alot of teams.

I've been singing his praises for quite awhile now and I think in any other class, he might sneak into of the bottom of the first or early second.

But I don't see a scenario where that happens with this stacked WR class.

I absolutely want him to be a Niner. 

Though he's not a Deebo clone, I think he could do alot of what he does for us gadget wise, with much better ability as a route runner along the boundary. It would make it that much easier to move off of Deebo with a guy like Washington in the fold. He's also a good return guy as well.

But we never seem to land WRs I truly covet so it is what it is.

Washington's length really isn't bad for the body type - he has the same arm length as Roman Wilson, just a touch shorter than Pearsall and has longer arms than McConkey. And he fights as a run blocker and has the mass to hold up a good chunk of the time, even if he can be overwhelmed. Worthy surprisingly actually has the standout arm length among this group with over 31" arms.

Anyhow, the catch radius with Washington is surprisingly large (and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I feel like it is necessary) because he jumps out of the gym. There were several plays on tape where he was overthrown or somesuch and just took off into the air to make the catch. He's such a weird, weird player. I really think he's worse at being a pure slot that wins on underneath option routes on third down than your Wilsons and such because he isn't the best route runner in the world (even though that 3-cone shows up in quite good wiggle). If that's the type you are looking for, you are pigeonholing him into a role that is not taking advantage of his wide skill set. Same if you are doing the Virginia thing and basically using him only as a Deebo-style wide back with swings and short routes and the occasional wheel route. Washington kind of really wants to do a bit of everything and to be moved into a variety of positions. He was really good on the few times when asked at running crossers over the middle, for instance. I just want him in the building. Love his attitude. Love the physical profile. But there are plenty of other guys I enjoy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Washington's length really isn't bad for the body type - he has the same arm length as Roman Wilson, just a touch shorter than Pearsall and has longer arms than McConkey. And he fights as a run blocker and has the mass to hold up a good chunk of the time, even if he can be overwhelmed. Worthy surprisingly actually has the standout arm length among this group with over 31" arms.

Anyhow, the catch radius with Washington is surprisingly large (and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I feel like it is necessary) because he jumps out of the gym. There were several plays on tape where he was overthrown or somesuch and just took off into the air to make the catch. He's such a weird, weird player. I really think he's worse at being a pure slot that wins on underneath option routes on third down than your Wilsons and such because he isn't the best route runner in the world (even though that 3-cone shows up in quite good wiggle). If that's the type you are looking for, you are pigeonholing him into a role that is not taking advantage of his wide skill set. Same if you are doing the Virginia thing and basically using him only as a Deebo-style wide back with swings and short routes and the occasional wheel route. Washington kind of really wants to do a bit of everything and to be moved into a variety of positions. He was really good on the few times when asked at running crossers over the middle, for instance. I just want him in the building. Love his attitude. Love the physical profile. But there are plenty of other guys I enjoy. 

Pretty much.

If it's one coach who could really unlock Washington, it's Shanny.

That alone is plenty of reason to want him in the building.

But he's a high character, high IQ kid as well.

He transferred to UVA and was instantly one of the leaders on a very young, inexperienced team.

I think we've only seen a glimpse of what he's capable of.

Like I've mentioned before, he had a true freshman @QB throwing him the rock for the majority of the year, behind one of the worst O-Lines in P5 football.

He lost a ton of yards just on overthrown/underthrown deep balls alone.

I believe there's alot more there.

And like you, I like his build/stature to hold up over the long haul if he's asked to do more.

As long as Washington stays out of the NFC West, I'll be content on missing out on yet another WR I truly coveted.

If he ends up in Seattle or as a Lamb, I'll die a little inside, seriously.

I just got through the entire BEAST guide from Bruglar. Here are some thoughts:

• Among his top 100, I like the 20-40 and 50-70 ranges A LOT. 
  • I'd trade up for Fautanu, Fuaga, and Dejean in a heartbeat. 
  • There are a ton of nickle guys I like: Dejean, Sainristil, Bullard, Phillips, Lassiter, Melton, Harden
  • I don't want an DE this year. I don't like any of them outside of Chop and even him I'm "ehh" about. 
  • I like Amegadjie more than Suamataia
  • I would be willing to bet that Shanahan effing loves McConkey 
  • If we don't trade up, I'd prefer to move down into the 40's where there's a ton of guys I like.  
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just got through the entire BEAST guide from Bruglar. Here are some thoughts:

• Among his top 100, I like the 20-40 and 50-70 ranges A LOT. 
  • I'd trade up for Fautanu, Fuaga, and Dejean in a heartbeat. 
  • There are a ton of nickle guys I like: Dejean, Sainristil, Bullard, Phillips, Lassiter, Melton, Harden
  • I don't want an DE this year. I don't like any of them outside of Chop and even him I'm "ehh" about. 
  • I like Amegadjie more than Suamataia
  • I would be willing to bet that Shanahan effing loves McConkey 
  • If we don't trade up, I'd prefer to move down into the 40's where there's a ton of guys I like.  

Where does he have Kingsley and Kiran ranked?  

1 minute ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Where does he have Kingsley and Kiran ranked?  

Suamataia is #40 and OT7. Amegadjie is 87 and OT12. 

I'm also starting to like Rosengarten and Caedan Wallace a lot more, too. He has Coleman as his OT9 and #66 overall, which is the highest I've seen him anywhere. 

Unless there's a chance to get Fautanu, Fuaga, or maybe even Fashanu in a trade up, I'm ok with going after a tackle in rounds 2 or 3. 

I still like Morgan and would consider him at 31, but I think a trade up or trade down would be best.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Suamataia is #40 and OT7. Amegadjie is 87 and OT12. 

I'm also starting to like Rosengarten and Caedan Wallace a lot more, too. He has Coleman as his OT9 and #66 overall, which is the highest I've seen him anywhere. 

Unless there's a chance to get Fautanu, Fuaga, or maybe even Fashanu in a trade up, I'm ok with going after a tackle in rounds 2 or 3. 

I still like Morgan and would consider him at 31, but I think a trade up or trade down would be best.  

I agree.  After watching a ton of Rosengarten, he would probably have to sit for a year but the potential is definitely there.  He needs to get WAY stronger in his core and lower body though.  

Suamataia must have some good agents, that's all I'll say. 

I'm not a huge suamataia supporter, I think he's a little more developmental than you would want in the first round, but I definitely couldn't take Amegadjie over him. 

9 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I agree.  After watching a ton of Rosengarten, he would probably have to sit for a year but the potential is definitely there.  He needs to get WAY stronger in his core and lower body though.  

Suamataia must have some good agents, that's all I'll say. 

Suamataia is really my type from a build standpoint. I like the tackles that are built lower and stronger for the running game that still are good athletes. Really highly rated recruit coming out. But man, did he not develop technique-wise at all at college. I would be sniffing that out aggressively if I wanted to spend an early pick to develop him.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not a huge suamataia supporter, I think he's a little more developmental than you would want in the first round, but I definitely couldn't take Amegadjie over him. 

Amegadjie just has faced no competition whatsoever. I feel decently confident that Suamataia can hang as a pass protector enough as he learns to run block (if that learning is actually possible). Kingsley's had quite a few reps against decent competition and isn't worse at it than the rest of the late first/second round guys.

I have no idea how Yale tape against nothing pass rushers and down blocking most plays translates. So I have no certainty with Amegadjie there. Plus he's coming off an injury. But I do dig the 36" arms, lol.

• Like 1

What we're hearing about the 49ers' draft: Colton McKivitz signed a one-year extension this offseason, but that likely won't keep the 49ers from searching for a long-term upgrade at tackle in this deep class. Unsurprisingly, right tackle and cornerback are the two positions brought up most by scouts when talking about where the Niners could improve after their run to the Super Bowl. And with 10 picks and few roster spots available, San Francisco might surprise and attempt a move up for an offensive tackle. Amarius Mims and Jordan Morgan fit in Kyle Shanahan's scheme on Day 1, but Roger Rosengarten (Washington) would also make sense on Day 2. -- Reid

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39901606/2024-nfl-draft-latest-buzz-rumors-news-answering-questions-all-32-teams-picks

• Like 2

I wouldn't hate Rosengarten in the second. Thats largely whatever because I do view him as a third round prospect. I don't like him as much as i like Blake Fisher, but Rosengarten has potentially more versatility and upside because he may be able to flip to left tackle at some point. 

That said, why does it feel like we are always reaching and never catching fallers? It's always like, "we are going to take this third round guy in the second because he'll be gone by the time we pick in the third" which often makes sense. But it's never like, "hey, we are going to go grab this guy or draft this fringe first / second round guy at the end of the second". 

Like, Baltimore also commonly drafts at the end of rounds and I feel like they are always doing the opposite and catching fallers. Doesn't always work, but it's just an interesting dichotomy 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't hate Rosengarten in the second. Thats largely whatever because I do view him as a third round prospect. I don't like him as much as i like Blake Fisher, but Rosengarten has potentially more versatility and upside because he may be able to flip to left tackle at some point. 

That said, why does it feel like we are always reaching and never catching fallers? It's always like, "we are going to take this third round guy in the second because he'll be gone by the time we pick in the third" which often makes sense. But it's never like, "hey, we are going to go grab this guy or draft this fringe first / second round guy at the end of the second". 

Like, Baltimore also commonly drafts at the end of rounds and I feel like they are always doing the opposite and catching fallers. Doesn't always work, but it's just an interesting dichotomy 

It's funny also that while their policy of catching fallers seems awesome, it is also pretty hit or miss because some of those fallers are falling for a reason. Take Rashad Bateman or Odafe Oweh or whatever.

I will say that our attempts to try and grab the last "unspecific" member of a position group left over (often via trade) to add to fill a roster spot has been horrible. Better have been the the times where the team has felt really strongly about specific players and the value has actually matched the draft position. You can't get too specific on guys - there's a whole board of interesting options. But I do think that you do have to have conviction about your specific draft picks and how you see their particular skills meshing for you.

• Like 3