Week 1: Texans @ Ravens

Ray Reed

On 9/9/2023 at 8:33 PM, DreamKid said:

It might take a couple weeks for the starters to really start feeling comfortable within the new offense. I'm not going to discount that transition and just assume they'll be full steam ahead right out of the gate.

^^^^Called it.

A new system, no preseason work, and less intense practices brought about expected results. The guys looked rusty, undisciplined, and tentative at times. It's nothing earth shattering or something to be upset about, it's just kind of how things work in the NFL. It will take time for all the new parts to come together.

Only issue I had with Monken in this one was how often he ran on 2nd & long, that's not conducive to winning football and against a soft opponent like the Texans it was a good chance to get more passing work in. The game, while not super pretty to watch, was never competitive. So I liked Monken hammering executional stuff that the guys will be getting used to. It was essentially a rare opportunity to practice concepts in a live game, with no real threat of defeat. Long way to go but I think we saw an encouraging skeleton underneath it all.

Positive 

- The WRs: Flowers is as advertised, and both OBJ and Bateman looked comfortable in their return from injury. 

- EDGE: Clowney is a great fit for our system and it's easy to see why the FO has pursued him years. He's stout against the run and can be deployed all across the front. Oweh looks really good and could reestablish the hype train he built as a Rookie. That's 2 games 2 Strip Sacks for Ojabo. The kid has a knack for dislodging the ball upon impact and has a great start to build off of going forward. Ojabo's preseason was uneventful but that's not always a great indicator for how they'll far in real games. Oweh had a forgetful preseason as a Rookie then brought all kinds of impact the rest of that year. Arrows are pointed up for our guys on the edge. 

- LB: Roquan and PQ are frequently billed as the best off ball duo in football and they didn't do anything to shake that designation. They were all over the field with decisive impact play.

- Darby & Washington: #28 & #29 flashed a lot, specifically as physical downhill tacklers. I felt they deserved a special shout out.

Negative

- Injuries: The injury rate in football is what holds it back globally and even domestically. For how massive the sport is in the US, it would be even bigger if participants weren't guaranteed to be injured and fanbases didn't have such a high percentage chance of seeing their entire season derailed after one game. Injuries to Dobbins, Stanley, Williams, and Linderbaum represent the utter black pill devastation that one game or even a half of football can bring upon fans. If you made a Top 10 list of our most important players all 4 of those names would be on it. Dobbins is on the fast track to one of the most depressing careers in football history, a legit 2K capable rusher that may be forced to retire before 25. Fingers crossed the other three aren't serious.

Summary

There's only one true negative from this game and that's the injuries. Sure a lot of guys were rusty, didn't play to their expected level, and in general it wasn't a strong day of football... but it's Week 1. The ramp up process begins now. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

And then when he get hurts then what?

IIRC the only time he's gotten injured was from staying in the pocket. He's generally very smart when scrambling to not take unnecessary hits. I'd rather Lamar play to his full potential than hide in the pocket because he's afraid of getting hurt.

18 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It was the Texans, and this is a new offense. We know Lamar can run, he and the rest of the offense(as we saw) needed reps and work in other areas. 

I generally agree but the way Lamar was running yesterday holding the ball out and fumbling, he might need some reps running the ball as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

Use that later in the szn jackson needs to be protected 

It's a trickle down effect though.

We can't run the ball -> Jackson's legs open up the run game for the entire offense -> defenses have to respect and prepare for it, usually by loading the box -> it makes throwing the ball much more effective.

We were at like 2.5ypc yesterday, I'd say using our best rushing weapon effectively is something we need to do ASAP.

• Like 2