Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

14 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

A few thoughts:

Fields has the highest top-end potential of any NFL QB. He's not just a running QB. He's an elite rusher who makes extremely difficult throws. There is no QB in the NFL or college with his combination of traits.

But he's not without flaws. He's not a natural processor. He operates very mechanically despite his athleticism. Compared to good QBs, he looks downright slow playing the position. Fields can make impossible plays look easy. But he too often makes easy plays look impossible.

There's absolutely a superstar outcome in Fields' range of possibilities. But the needle hasn't moved much since his draft year. He still gets the ball out late. He's still playing with the same clunky footwork and prolonged release. Unless his development really takes off, it's unlikely Fields reaches that top-end.

It's clear Getsy doesn't trust him. And if a coach don't trust his QB, adding another WR or OL isn't going to change the offense. The Bears already added a top WR and several OL starters. Yet Fields is having about the same success as last season. That should give pause to those advocating for more pieces around him.

Can you build a successful offense around what Fields is right now? That's the question Bears brass must answer. And given Justin's limitations as a QB, I'm not sure he'll ever operate an elite offense. I think too many factors are working against him. It's probably best for Justin and for the Bears to move on.

For me, this is another example of "Potential doesn't win games, potential gets you fired."

Welcome to the board! I think many of us really don't care if Getsy trust him or not. I don't think that regardless of which side of this argument you fall on there are not many that really value Getsy's opinion and regardless to what the outcome is the hope is that he is gone. I personally think that Getsy is the real problem regardless of the end result. He has done JF1 no favors in the way he has handled him from a player development standpoint or a playcalling standpoint. You do however bring up some good and valid points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

A few thoughts:

Fields has the highest top-end potential of any NFL QB. He's not just a running QB. He's an elite rusher who makes extremely difficult throws. There is no QB in the NFL or college with his combination of traits.

But he's not without flaws. He's not a natural processor. He operates very mechanically despite his athleticism. Compared to good QBs, he looks downright slow playing the position. Fields can make impossible plays look easy. But he too often makes easy plays look impossible.

There's absolutely a superstar outcome in Fields' range of possibilities. But the needle hasn't moved much since his draft year. He still gets the ball out late. He's still playing with the same clunky footwork and prolonged release. Unless his development really takes off, it's unlikely he reaches that top-end.

It's clear Getsy doesn't trust him. And if a coach don't trust his QB, adding another WR or OL isn't going to change the offense. The Bears already added a top WR and several OL starters. Yet Fields is having about the same success as last season. That should give pause to those advocating for more pieces around him.

Can you build a successful offense around what Fields is right now? That's the question Bears brass must answer. And given Justin's limitations as a QB, I'm not sure he'll ever operate an elite offense. I think too many factors are working against him.

For me, this is another example of "Potential doesn't win games, potential gets you fired."

Welcome to the board! Here's my take on Getsy and Fields:

Offensively, for whatever reason, what made us successful weeks 6-11 in 2022 was not built upon in 2023.

During that 6 game stretch, Justin Fields accounted for 16 TDs and 4 turnovers. That is proof positive there is a scheme built around his elite athleticism and talent which can produce points in the NFL (averaged 25.8 ppg in that timeframe). Why that did not become the core of this offense and everything built off that for 2023 and beyond makes zero sense to me. But this is Chicago Bears.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

The conversations regarding Williams need to start with a serious admission about what Fields is....... 75% of the fan base still thinks he's the next Tom Brady for god only knows what reason. When the reality is that the guy is basically Trubisky but more athletic.

Sorry man but even though I disagreed with your opinion on Fields I at least respected it...right up until that...

Just a flat out wrong comment with no one at all ever having said they view Fields in that light...also no idea how even Fields' biggest critic could watch him and Trubisky and see the same player.

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

A few thoughts:

There's absolutely a superstar outcome in Fields' range of possibilities. But the needle hasn't moved much since his draft year. He still gets the ball out late. He's still playing with the same clunky footwork and prolonged release. Unless his development really takes off, it's unlikely he reaches that top-end.

Can you build a successful offense around what Fields is right now? That's the question Bears brass must answer. And given Justin's limitations as a QB, I'm not sure he'll ever operate an elite offense. I think too many factors are working against him.

Welcome bud...I think this is a fair view and like most sees that nothing is in absolutes with Fields...

I don't know a single Fields fan who thinks he is without his flaws...he isn't the fastest processor, as a thrower he isn't the most natural & does at times hold on to the ball for too long...the counter to this is he hasn't ever had a HC/OC who has built around his strengths in the way a Hurts/Jackson has...he has never had the multiple talents on the outside to get separation quickly and allow him to get the ball out of his hand faster and he has done nothing but been professional and an excellent leader who his team mates value throughout all this adversity...

No absolutes and everyone knows he has to get better...but this franchise needs to get better for him the same as they would for any QB we drop into the situation in 2024...your right Fields has as much potential as any QB in football but we haven't done a good enough job of finding him the coaching or talent to help him reach that potential...but turning down a haul of draft picks/players to add talent around the QB position we will consistently hang our QBs out there to dry...

Caleb is a really good prospect...sometimes I think my opinion on him gets lost because I think the way forward is Fields but he is that natural thrower who can make throws a lot of others simply can't...but I question his leadership and ability to cope with the massive adversity he would face here trying to replace Fields who seemingly the entire locker room respect and value (unless we have a full coaching staff change and it takes a lot of the pressure off him early) I also question if he tries to do too much and his ball security much like Fields...problem is Caleb would not be able to stand up to the same beating that Fields has over the years...

I am just a big believer that an elite offence in the NFL these days is not just a QB (think we are seeing that in KC right now..seen it with the Chargers for years) you have to have talent around the offence because no QB can do it all alone...Fields + 2x quality offensive talents and a haul of draft picks helps this team far more than Caleb + 1 quality offensive talent does IMO.

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The only apples-to-apples comparison we can really make about that is Williams in college vs. Fields in college, because we haven’t seen Williams against pros yet.

Fields:

IMG-3901.jpg

Williams:

IMG-3902.jpg

I said earlier...  Caleb is a smaller version of JF1.  The two are about the same.  They need supporting players to be a great NFL QB.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Welcome to the board! Here's my take on Getsy and Fields:

Offensively, for whatever reason, what made us successful weeks 6-11 in 2022 was not built upon in 2023.

During that 6 game stretch, Justin Fields accounted for 16 TDs and 4 turnovers. That is proof positive there is a scheme built around his elite athleticism and talent which can produce points in the NFL (averaged 25.8 ppg in that timeframe). Why that did not become the core of this offense and everything built off that for 2023 and beyond makes zero sense to me. But this is Chicago Bears.

Now THIS I 100% agree with. f*** Luke Getsy

• Like 2

The forum has turned a bit nasty over the subject of one Justin Fields. Still better than every place else but the level of discussion just drives home how complicated the bears decision is in a few weeks.

It affects coaching, but it's easiest to stick to the QB for me. I LOVE Fields, but I think they are set up well to move on and should do so, and it's going to be better for all parties even if it breaks my shriveled little heart. For whatever reason we paired offensive staff that very clearly doesn't want to run the kind of offense the QB _might_ excel in. I think you saw more of what they want with Bagent, and it might work with a Tom Brady type to pick apart a defense but instead it was boring as hell whether they won or lost. Honestly last year defenses took away the QB run so I don't blame them for that, and they've tried to adapt this year but with middling success and they're still more likely to pull out some insane gadget play than rub the offense through the QB by giving him the option. 

Meanwhile, and I hate this, but Fields didn't do it this year. He's improved, but if I'm pointing to one or two anticipation throws a game it's not enough, not here.

Maybe you bring in Mr Roman and see if you can keep bending the arrow up but there's also the big fork in the road which is having the high picks. 

While you could take the haul and push the decision to next year, it sure seems like it's decision time on this draft, and I just think they are going to have a QB prospect ranked higher than Fields as a player. He's probably QB 20 right now. 15 if you watch all the games to find excuses, and I can definitely play that game, but I don't think Poles is in that business.

Hate to see him go, but I think if you're this team in January and April you're staking your claim and getting your QB. How'd you do that with what coaches is it's own debate, bit I think they're moving on.

And this is worth the paper it's written on, but for the love of all that is good please stop being ***** about the debate. No one here is making stupid points and the fervor being used is just an indication of how tough the decision is going to be. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

The forum has turned a bit nasty over the subject of one Justin Fields. Still better than every place else but the level of discussion just drives home how complicated the bears decision is in a few weeks.

It affects coaching, but it's easiest to stick to the QB for me. I LOVE Fields, but I think they are set up well to move on and should do so, and it's going to be better for all parties even if it breaks my shriveled little heart. For whatever reason we paired offensive staff that very clearly doesn't want to run the kind of offense the QB _might_ excel in. I think you saw more of what they want with Bagent, and it might work with a Tom Brady type to pick apart a defense but instead it was boring as hell whether they won or lost. Honestly last year defenses took away the QB run so I don't blame them for that, and they've tried to adapt this year but with middling success and they're still more likely to pull out some insane gadget play than rub the offense through the QB by giving him the option. 

Meanwhile, and I hate this, but Fields didn't do it this year. He's improved, but if I'm pointing to one or two anticipation throws a game it's not enough, not here.

Maybe you bring in Mr Roman and see if you can keep bending the arrow up but there's also the big fork in the road which is having the high picks. 

While you could take the haul and push the decision to next year, it sure seems like it's decision time on this draft, and I just think they are going to have a QB prospect ranked higher than Fields as a player. He's probably QB 20 right now. 15 if you watch all the games to find excuses, and I can definitely play that game, but I don't think Poles is in that business.

Hate to see him go, but I think if you're this team in January and April you're staking your claim and getting your QB. How'd you do that with what coaches is it's own debate, bit I think they're moving on.

And this is worth the paper it's written on, but for the love of all that is good please stop being ***** about the debate. No one here is making stupid points and the fervor being used is just an indication of how tough the decision is going to be. 

The annoying part of it all, for me, is that I look around the league and I see Justin Fields being better than almost half the starting QBs in this league. Then I look at some of the younger QBs and I'm not seeing anyone blowing him out of the water (again, just quickly looking at stats):

Justin Fields: 84.5

Jalen Hurts: 89.6

Trevor Lawrence: 89.1

Patrick Mahomes: 91.7

Jordan Love: 91.8

Justin Herbert: 93.2

Josh Allen: 93.7

etc.

This organization needs to figure out who they want to be offensively, set the course in stone and forge ahead without any potential for deviation. IF that decision is a short, quick, rhythm passing game then you have to move on from Justin Fields. That's not his game (right now, anyway) and it would be foolish to take away his stinger in order to make him a bigger, stronger, faster Brian Hoyer.

IF the vision is to incorporate the controlled passing game into an otherwise more innovative and dynamic offense, one which includes myriad QB runs, etc, then you trade out of the #1 overall pick (assuming we get it) to stack your draft picks for the next 3 years and see how Justin Fields continues to develop the next two seasons ($6M cap hit in 2024, $21.978M in 2025 if 5th year option is exercised). 

Since 2012, the cap has increased at minimum $10M per year (14% from 2021 to 2022, 8% from 2022 to 2023). If you want to factor that into the equation, Justin Fields' cap hit in 2025 is almost negligible (again, just adding another perspective).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G08 said:

The annoying part of it all, for me, is that I look around the league and I see Justin Fields being better than almost half the starting QBs in this league. Then I look at some of the younger QBs and I'm not seeing anyone blowing him out of the water (again, just quickly looking at stats):

Justin Fields: 84.5

Jalen Hurts: 89.6

Trevor Lawrence: 89.1

Patrick Mahomes: 91.7

Jordan Love: 91.8

Justin Herbert: 93.2

Josh Allen: 93.7

etc.

This organization needs to figure out who they want to be offensively, set the course in stone and forge ahead without any potential for deviation. IF that decision is a short, quick, rhythm passing game then you have to move on from Justin Fields. That's not his game (right now, anyway) and it would be foolish to take away his stinger in order to make him a bigger, stronger, faster Brian Hoyer.

IF the vision is to incorporate the controlled passing game into an otherwise more innovative and dynamic offense, one which includes myriad QB runs, etc, then you trade out of the #1 overall pick (assuming we get it) to stack your draft picks for the next 3 years and see how Justin Fields continues to develop the next two seasons ($6M cap hit in 2024, $21.978M in 2025 if 5th year option is exercised). 

Since 2012, the cap has increased at minimum $10M per year (14% from 2021 to 2022, 8% from 2022 to 2023). If you want to factor that into the equation, Justin Fields' cap hit in 2025 is almost negligible (again, just adding another perspective).

JF1 was playing around 90 rating before the hailmary INTs.  To me, 90Rating is a good startingQB and can win the SB given enough playmakers.

I think the short/quick passing should not be the Identity, but a supplement to the long bomb passing.  That is what JF1 good at.  To get there, JF1 needs a better OL and one more WR1.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Just sorta feels like these players have already been told the plan because they are all so quick to defend Fields at any opportunity.

I don't understand what the Williams tweet is about. Most of the few good players USC has sat out, some transferred, some coaches quit & some were hired, but yeah sure I'm sure this is about the guy standing on the sideline cheering them on

Looks like a real piece of ****!

Edited by beardown3231

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Just sorta feels like these players have already been told the plan because they are all so quick to defend Fields at any opportunity.

I dunno man... not sure that is something Poles would or should be talking about to the players. If anything, maybe he told Justin to block out the noise and the players are sticking up for him on their own accord. I'm not quite sure I recall anything like this for Trubisky or Cutler or Orton or Grossman etc.

We will see.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't understand what the Williams tweet is about. Most of the few good players USC has sat out, some transferred, some coaches quit & some were hired, but yeah sure I'm sure this is about the guy standing on the sideline cheering them on

Looks like a real piece of ****!

I just don't get it. Is the dude trying to say it was Williams' fault they got bent over all season? Your QB was why you all gave up 35ppg, bottom 10 on the nation?

I guess it was Cutler who tanked the Bears defense under Trestman but he and Grossman carried the defense with Lovie. Fields must have been the issue for the Bears defense so far in his career too. 🙄

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I just don't get it. Is the dude trying to say it was Williams' fault they got bent over all season? Your QB was why you all gave up 35ppg, bottom 10 on the nation?

I guess it was Cutler who tanked the Bears defense under Trestman but he and Grossman carried the defense with Lovie. Fields must have been the issue for the Bears defense so far in his career too. 🙄

I'm not sure what he is saying at all...truth be told he could be saying nothing about Caleb...

If he is saying anything I doubt it is about on the field football and more about how Caleb was seen as being above the rest of the team by the media and potentially some of the staff...maybe like an RG3 situation when he was in Washington traveling in a limo and not on the team bus or not watching his own bad plays with the team...we will never know what happens in these facilities...

I don't even really care what the kid from USC is saying...more the fact Brisker is liking these sort of tweets.

• Like 1